Bob Harper host of Biggest Loser had a heart attack

(Dustin Cade) #103

i agree, diet is like religion in how deep rooted and dogmatic it can be… I figure there will always be multiple factions sticking to what they see as the one diet to rule them all… though thru open discussion and a thirst for true science and not just what we’ve been previously taught can help perhaps move us at least slightly farther towards the right direction of making sure more people are eating the best way science can provide…

I think people are making a lot of assumptions here. When it comes down to it we really have no idea why he had a heart attack. Going LCHF may or may not have helped him… we just don’t know.

Bob wasn’t an athlete who minded his own business, followed his thinking, in effort to optimize his performance. He classified himself as an expert advisor, on television, and put people through gruelling food restrictions and workouts, so much so that it harmed their health and emotional stability. There were also drugs involved and cruel behaviour. This is what has been reported by past contestants. So, naturally, this raises concern, awareness and curiosity into what is happening. Sort of like the Lance Armstrong fiasco…where everybody thought he was a nice guy, started the Livestrong thing, and then the reports of bullying behaviour and drugs comes out. It draws a lot of attention when red flags (I.e. Past biggest loser contestants) sing like canary in the coal mine.

(Crow T. Robot) #106

I love mixed metaphors :grinning:

Ummm…so he deserves to be vilified for being a personal trainer who pushes cico and extreme measures. This argument could be made about him or any other famous personal trainer or even bariatric surgery. I’m not a member of the guy’s fan club. I don’t know much about him other than the glossy covers I’ve seen him on. My comments were more about remaining humble. I’ve been in other keto groups where the dogma was so stringent that you were ridiculed if you dared disagree cough ketogains. I noticed that most of the comments on this post related his heart attack to his lifestyle beliefs and kinda suggested he deserved it. They were not just curious comments. Heart attacks suck.

(Crow T. Robot) #108

I was agreeing with you in general terms until I got to this. I don’t see this even implied let alone suggested.

(cqtcmg) #109

Maybe I’m reading the responses wrong, but I think most people feel bad for him. I don’t think folks are vilifying him. His is yet another case of someone doing things the “correct” way and still getting sick. We have all been told to follow the same sort of regimen he was following. I would imagine many of us did what we were told and also still developed diabetes or obesity or heart disease. And then got blamed for not following the plan or were led to believe we had no willpower or that we ate out of boredom…and on and on and on. Blaming us instead of the diet.

I would like to believe that his heart attack will shine a spotlight on how the high carb route may not work all that well. But there’s already a kind of “circle the wagons” feel about his response. I can see why that is, too–because his whole brand and that of The Biggest Loser is tied up in low-fat. That’s a tough place to be

Not sure how it’s being portrayed as vilified. In fact, I stated that he was very lucky there was a doctor to rescue him, he’s been given a second chance and hopefully he takes it. It seems he’s very deep in the CICO thinking, and other activities, as described by biggest losers contestants. Bob’s got a lot of thinking to do. Hopefully, he will turn this around.

(Kathy L) #111

YES!

(Kathy L) #112

But he knows no different than cico /low fat. Sadly, It’s hard to imagine any amount of “thinking” will help him turn things around. Someone he trusts needs to enlighten him -& he is most likely surrounded by like-minded friends/docs/professionals & coworkers…:sweat:

There is always hope Bob can turn this around. Prof Noakes is an example of a remarkable turnaround. His dad got diabetes, and then he got it. It made him think deeply about what the heck is going on, and fortunately, his curiosity led him to reading about the effect of carbs. And now, he is a wonderful champion of low carb.

I really really hope Bob sees the light.

(eat more) #114

don’t shoot or flag or whatever happens when you say something against the norm buuutttt…

no one here likes it (if they happen to care at all what ppl say) when ppl say all the bad things that are going to happen from eating fat

blaming carbs with no knowledge of the details is the same thing…for all anyone here knows he’s been eating LCHF/keto no matter what he preaches/sells…it does happen when there is fame, fortune, and reputation involved (not saying that’s the case…saying none of us KNOW and probably never will)

i hope that whatever contributed to the issue is addressed…whatever that may be

LCHF/keto is amazing (for me) but it isn’t freaking magic and everyone who chooses a different WOE isn’t a moron or a bad person that needs to see the light

(Ashley Haddock) #115

I didn’t see anyone calling him a moron or a bad person. But the fact that he advises people on how to be healthy and tells them how to eat does put his diet in the public eye. That was a choice he made when he became a trainer on The Biggest Loser. As I stated earlier, I have always liked Bob. I think he truly cares about helping people. But if you’ve done research and understand why keto works then it makes it glaringly obvious why high carb, low fat diets lead to heart disease. It’s not attacking him, it’s stating facts about (false) conventional wisdom.

As an ironic side note, I follow/am facebook friends with many of the former contestants and most of them ended up gaining the weight back and are on another weight loss journey now. And most of them have discovered low carb and are having great success. So I’m hoping maybe someone Bob still talks to mentions it to him. You never know what might come of it.

(eat more) #116

if you need to be enlightened and have a lot of thinking to do…it’s implied
my point was that no one actually knows what he is doing or has done and that LCHF does not fix everything

what if he already is/was LCHF?
then what would the discussion be?
“poor bob has a genetic condition…at least he didn’t eat carbs”

carbs don’t cause everything and the absence of doesn’t cure everything…

similar to what i was trying to communicate

i wasn’t referring to you specifically. i was referencing the majority of the 100+ comments on this thread. your comments have always been empathic on this site. I’m simply expressing my opinion like everyone else here.

He has been pretty open and communicative on his eating habits and choices. He used to be part of associations when he used to be a vegan, he wrote many books describing his formulated macro ratio, he’s invited interviewers into his home filming him prepare food in his kitchen, and he’s appeared on Rachel Ray cooking show to describe his eating regime. He was also paid by PepsiCo for several years as the Quaker Oats celebrity endorsement guy, going around, eating oatmeal and granola cereal at celebrity-led marketing venues for PepsiCo.

Is it possible he lied the entire time, always ate LCHF, while preaching his 40/40/20 carb/protein/fat macro ratio and did the “heart healthy” oatmeal eating thing just for cash? Well, yes. Anything is possible.

The problem is, you have to make up what if’s and if that’s to build up your wall against critical commentary. Dialog should include criticism. I don’t believe in the current idea of having a critical eye is abusive or against someone. If he has a better argument, then let him make his stand, but meanwhile let the “wisdom of crowds”( as Tom Naughton like to say) challenge the status quo.

(Ashley Haddock) #121

I don’t agree with that. 15 months ago I had no clue why LCHF worked and why HCLF doesn’t work. I was not a moron or a bad person. I just had no knowledge on this way of eating. Two completely different things.

(eat more) #122

ppl change their minds and woe, publicly and privately…no one knows

my point/frustration is conclusions being drawn based solely on what is believed to be his woe…that isn’t what you (collective not personal) believe to be correct.

i don’t even care that it’s bob harper…it’s the “tone” that one thing is responsible for all evil in the world and that those who don’t know have lost their way and need to be saved…that’s fanatical
if this was a vegan forum it’d be because he ate chicken
paleo forum it’d be because he ate legumes
raw food…he cooked food
gluten free…he ate gluten…
low fat…he ate fat
(you see where i’m going…)

carbs aren’t the devil…i eat approx 20g/day…that’s what i choose to do…some ppl eat more, some ppl eat less…
they’re just macronutrients not some diabolical super villain with laser equipped sharks

giving carbs supreme negative power overshadows the message that reduced carb intake is beneficial