Bob Harper host of Biggest Loser had a heart attack

(Bacon for the Win) #83

confession time: I have never watched Biggest Loser and had no idea who Bob Harper is. Not a big fan of watching TV, until it’s baseball or football season that is.

(Michelle) #84

Definitely doesn’t look unhealthy to me, or fat around the middle, or anything. I know we can’t tell health by looks, but if I had to make a bet on it, I would say healthy bodyweight and composition.

(eat more) #85

my first thought was that he looked thinner than i’ve seen him…maybe he was cutting weight and overdid supplementation/activity/low calories coupled with genetic predisposition?
which i don’t even know why i’m speculatiing! :joy:

He’s been in a coma for two days and remained in the hospital several days after. His arms and other parts of his body seem smaller than other pictures, which makes me think he’s experienced atrophy of some sort. There are also some pictures of him walking his dog, which according to the news reports, is the only exercise he can do right now.

(Ashley Haddock) #87

Thank you so much! I knew there was an episode of 2KD that explained it well but I’ve binge-listened to so many recently I couldn’t remember which one it was.

(Ashley Haddock) #88

I used to watch The Biggest Loser all the time. I was incredibly touched by the people and their stories and wished I could be like them. I wished I could go on the show many times, and Bob was my favorite trainer. I have since been so thankful for that “unanswered prayer” because I know so much more now and realize how dangerous what they go through on that show is.

However, I do believe Bob truly lives what he preaches. I know he used to be Vegan, not sure if he still is, but he has always believed in CICO and the importance of whole grains and fruits and veggies. I think he’s a good person at heart who truly wants to help people get healthy. He’s just going by conventional wisdom and his way of healthy eating isn’t really healthy.

(cqtcmg) #89

I used to watch The Biggest Loser all the time. I loved how people could go from feeling so hopeless to getting control of their lives and looking so much better. I now know that what the show taught was false in all ways–from requiring the participants to go without water and to sweat it out before weigh-ins, to using drugs to give them energy, to basically starving them.

I don’t really fault the show for encouraging a low-fat diet (because we have ALL been lied to about fat intake causing fat–they were just parroting what was supposed to be solved science). I also believe Bob practiced what he preached in terms of diet and activity. I have pity for Bob because it shows that his way is not the correct way, and I’m sure he believed it was, probably totally believed it. And so now, rather than admit he was incorrect, his response is, “Heart disease runs in my family.” If that’s the case, then why should any of us try to do the things he says we should do? It won’t make any difference anyway! He is not questioning what he was taught and what he has tried to teach to the public. It’s this cognitive dissonance that gets me upset.

(Ashley Haddock) #90

Couldn’t agree more! The person I was talking to last night was saying how genetics are real because Bob eats healthy and someone else they know never eats anything unhealthy and also had a heart attack. I said that’s because the things we’ve been taught are untrue and went into keto a little. I decided I’m going to write a blog post on it with several links.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #91

My first thought, too.[quote=“cmgleggs, post:89, topic:8351”]
his response is, “Heart disease runs in my family.” If that’s the case, then why should any of us try to do the things he says we should do? It won’t make any difference anyway! He is not questioning what he was taught and what he has tried to teach to the public. It’s this cognitive dissonance that gets me upset.
[/quote]

Me, too, big time.

This is good strategy because you can simply refer people to it without getting bogged down in another extended explanation.

I carry calling cards with me when I hike (like a business card but with my blog address, instead) so when people ask for my contact info, I don’t have to launch into a long speech about how I don’t text or use social media of any kind. They can find my email on their own; the keepers will go one step further and use it.

(Ashley Haddock) #92

Yes that’s a great idea. I don’t have business cards yet but plan on getting some asap. This topic is especially important for me to talk about this week because my grandfather died Monday night due to a “massive coronary event.” This was after him having a heart attack a few weeks ago. And yes, he’d been diabetic for years.

(Crow T. Robot) #93

Definitely not TOFI, but you can’t see inflammation. If he’s had years of hyperinsulinemia, advanced glycation end-products, and on top of that eats a low-fat diet, you’d never know until it’s too late, although a CAC score might have told him. I wonder if he’d ever had one.

I wish I could get to him just for 30 seconds to do an elevator pitch on the benefits of the CAC score. It really needs a celebrity proponent to get the word out.

(Dustin Cade) #94

its going to take an Opera level celebrity to get things moving, the issue with Keto is there is not really a way to monetize it the way we in the keto community would support and embrace… so its sort of a double edged sword… Maybe i’m wrong, happens a lot… :sunglasses:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #95

Bingo! We have a winner! The big companies aren’t going to back anything with research and marketing that they can’t trademark and secure for themselves. Again, we’re talking about health and science and they’re talking about their bottom line. It’s a language barrier in the worst way.

(Crow T. Robot) #96

So, like Pavarotti or Geir Ivarsoy? :stuck_out_tongue:

CAC scores cost money, which is what I was referring to. Already monetized.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #97

I think @Bahrutile meant that the keto way of eating, itself, is more or less a do-it-yourself venture.

(Dustin Cade) #98

yeah, its really a true grass roots movement, the people we see as keto celebrities are scientists, researchers, investigative journalists… Joe Rogan is about the only celeb i can think that is pro keto publicly… oh and a certain podcasting duo…

Wow…talk about kicking a guy when he’s down. I can only assume this guy has been influenced by the predominant voices in nutrition and fitness like most of the world. A relatively young and fit man has had a heart attack and that’s a very sad reality. I’m sure he will do some soul searching on his lifestyle. In the meantime, it seems that most of the comments here are criticisms. I find that ironic given that most of the people here probably subscribed to similar thinking before finding keto. I wish him well in his recovery. BTW, I love fucking tattoos so he’s still a badass.

(Dustin Cade) #100

of course we all have, I don’t think this is so much derogatory on him personally but more so the diet ideals in which he surrounds himself… I wish him the best, speedy recovery, I hope he is able to get better and live the rest of his life healthy and happy… I think most of us worry more so about how when these types of events take place we don’t blame the dogma, we blame something else, be it genetics or whatever…

(Stickin' with mammoth) #101

Yupyupyup.

How does criticizing his choices (not you) make one different from those who claim keto is crazy? I think right or wrong is an individual decision so tolerance appears the fairest course.