Bob Harper host of Biggest Loser had a heart attack

He does not shut me down. He listens, and believes it to a certain point. It’s difficult for him, because he is caught between “expert advice” and a “sister with an opinion”. He follows my advice half way…like, cut out bread and pasta. But, saturated fats from meat is bad, while avocados and olives are good, becuae the “experts” told him so.

Yeah…this is why “health food stores” are full of shelves filled with powders and pills…not food!!

(eat more) #64

also…i’m positive there’s a lot of do what i say, not what i really do…i’m just implying that i do what i’m telling you to do…buy my book, join my club, eat the products that i endorse
for all we know oprah has lost weight LCHF but there is no money in that…yet

Yes, lots of money selling supplements, pill, powders, liquids…and books.

And I think Bob probably practices what he preaches, and takes a lot of supplements, too. Here’s a photo of his kitchen. Note the containers of supplements (pills, powders, liquids) next to the stove. I think one is a jar of Spectrum brand coconut oil, and the green container looks like an oil spray (like Pam).

Someone following the high carb low fat diet would have a fit seeing what I store next to my stove. On the left, I have an assortment of rendered fats (lard, tallow, bacon nectar, clarified butter), as well as extra virgin olive oil, and vinegars.

And on the right, salt, dried herbs and pepper.

(eat more) #67

a planned photo of “his” kitchen :wink: ppl get paid large sums of money to make things look candid and real…i only believe half (or less) of what i see now…
i was devastated to learn that the commercial with the amazing sports feats weren’t real LOL (like beckham kicking a ball into a far away trash can at the beach)

i think the green is olive oil spray

I remember years back owning a little oil spray gizmo. That’s how I’d add olive oil to my food, with a light mist (spray) of olive oil. Good grief. I bought into the BS! :unamused:

(bobbie berge) #69

Oh wow that’s terrible

(Stickin' with mammoth) #70

Yupyupyup.[quote=“tdseest, post:49, topic:8351”]
I fear many people will use this as an excuse not to do anything, because why bother.
[/quote]

Yeah, that was my first thought, too, when he trotted out the genetics thing.

Oy.

I only saw that show once on You Tube. I sat through the whole tortuous thing, waiting for sanity to intervene. It never did. It was like Jerry Springer meets Dr. Oz.

Especially in one so publicly and proudly “healthy” and athletic.

I know my parents ailments, too. And I don’t have any of them. Genes are a possibility, not a guarantee.

Warn your family, Fiorella, I’m comin’ to visit. Ha, ha!

Fantastic story, Fiorella, haven’t seen a more perfect example of what we all know.

How sad. He could’ve been enjoying real food like the rest of us all this time. What say we send him a gift package of fatback with a get well card? How do you think that would go over in the media? I’m laughing my ass off just thinking about it!

(Cathy) #71

TOFI. For those of us who have weight issues, it is actually a blessing. It is a heads up - things aren’t going well. Conventional wisdom is failing.

(jketoscribe) #72

I’m in the “mind my own business” category about celebrities and their weight, too. Who am I to judge when Melissa McCarthy gains or loses weight?

But when someone puts themselves out there as an expert in weight and health and advises others on tv, influencing millions of viewers to adopt their frame of reference, that’s when the details of their own weight and health become public issues. As far as I am concerned, then it’s fair game to discuss his diet, weight, appearance, and health.

The same goes for people who sign up to be spokespeople for diet companies (e.g. Oprah), because they are in the business of influencing others for profit by their supposed success in using these diet programs.

Bob Harper is a very fortunate individual. Serendipitously, he had his heart attack in a gym where a doctor was present and used the available defribillater to keep him alive. Even with that, he was in a coma for two full days and hospitalized for more than another week. Tragically, Carrie Fisher wasn’t so lucky. Bob Harper’s mother passed away from a heart attack so one could extrapolate and say that there is a genetic component. Personally, I wish him well in his recovery and continued journey.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #74

Bingo. I don’t critique him as a “celebrity,” I critique him as his self-avowed title of “expert.” The metrics are different. I could give a rat’s ass about his Hollywood career, I’m tracking his health trajectory as an object lesson in outdated science.

(eat more) #75

the body language thing…i don’t think it’s accurate to dissect a person’s body language from publicity shots and not their natural state of being
dollars to bacon there was a photographer directing these poses and could have been projecting their insecurities or strengths, he could have been comforable, with the first photographer and not the second, he could have wanted to be elsewhere but his publicist/s said he had to do the shoot, the first shot could have been candid…who knows…so many variables that aren’t “natural”
thems some pretty nice traditional pieces in the second one tho :joy:

Interesting article in the NY Post of past Biggest Loser contestants using drugs to lose weight on the show.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #77

"This source confirms that show trainer Bob Harper and one of his assistants have supplied contestants with Adderall and “yellow jackets” — pills that contain ephedra extract. Ephedra is used to promote weight loss and boost energy, and was banned by the FDA in 2004…

Bob Harper tells people to throw up: ‘Good,’ he says. ‘You’ll lose more calories.’"

Whoops, so much for our precious little yoga boy. @Fiorella Thanks for this article. It’s more terrifying than a short story by Stephen King.

(Ashley Haddock) #78

I’ve searched the forum but can’t seem to pinpoint one article that would explain why Bob’s diet caused a heart attack. I can explain it but I’d like science to back it up to someone who knows nothing about keto. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I don’t agree actually. I think you can judge their work and how they treat and ‘help’ others but when it comes to their personal affairs… well they are personal IMO.

Think that’s a common complaint many of us have with our family members only half listening to the information we pass on.

While we don’t know for sure what he actually eats or what type of heart failure he had, he is a proponent of low fat, high carb. This creates a high insulin environment which is related to artherosclerosis, calcification (hardening) of the arteries. A common type of heart attack in otherwise “healthy” people, called the Widowmaker, is caused by blockage of the small vessels supplying blood to the heart muscle. Not everyone on this type of diet will get heart disease. This is where the genetic predisposition component comes in. A great explanation of it by Ivor Cummins in this podcast:

Also, this video spells it out clearly:

(Megan) #82

He released a picture yesterday. He has to wear a heart monitor. He still doesn’t say what happened, exactly but a source says that he hasn’t been feeling well.

https://www.google.com/amp/m.eonline.com/amp/news/832792/inside-bob-harper-s-recovery-how-the-biggest-loser-star-is-reevaluating-his-future-after-surprise-heart-attack