BMs at Day 7 of Fast?!? (heading to 10-14 days)

Appreciate everybody’s indulgence for what might be a weird question…Just completed Day 7 on the way to 10-14 days. Still having periodic BMs (once, maybe twice per day/night; not solid by any means) and seems strange for that to be occurring at this juncture, given strict adherence to water, black coffee, decaf green tea. Not using any MCTs or other fats, nor bone broth. Supplementing sodium with pink himalayan salt, Calm for magnesium, and potassium supplement.

Is this a normal physiological occurrence at this point in a fast? Just trying to figure out what my body is up to still having these occurrences. Familiar with the 14 Day or so ‘sludge’ as many have described on more extended fasts, but this is not the case for me thus far. Have completed one 5 Day fast previously a few months ago which went very smooth. This one is going great as well, but just have the one ‘interesting’ question here, lol!

Thanks in advance for anybody who can share insights…

Oh crap (pun intended)! I think I may have discovered the answer to my initial question by doing some further research on this site. Sounds like my magnesium supplement (Natural Calm powder) might be causing the BM situation…

I will back that down a bit to see if it helps…If anybody else has any other theories, please share. But sounds like I might have the answer in hand…what a great site full of resources!

(James storie) #3

Yeah the magnesium is probably the culprit, but this is a common side effect of fasting when you are new at it. Kind of like cleaning out! I did the same thing when I first started fasting, but now I don’t have this symptom.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #4

I always cut my magnesium supplement to every other day when fasting for the same reason! At first I thought it may just be detoxification and then realized I may be losing too much fluid so I cut back the supplementation and things normalized!

Thank you, James! Cutting back magnesium starting today.

Thanks Ron! Enjoyed following your amazing extended fast, and thank you for your insights!