Blowtorch for kitchen use

(Running from stupidity) #1

OK, so it’s pretty clear that I NEED a blowtorch to add to my kitchen arsenal.

The kitchen supply places around here don’t have anything decent (small/expensive only), but Bunnings does (of course).

I’m pretty sure I should get one of these two:

The first one is butane, is smaller, self-ignites, has Adjustable Air Control.

The second is propane, larger (DUH), needs lighting, has a fantail attachment which could be pretty useful for this work, is cheaper.

Anyone with experience with blowtorches have any comments?

Any idea if the “Adjustable Air Control” means anything in this context?

Ta.

(Casey Crisler) #2

All I can say is I bought this one in 2016. One of the first things I did after firing off the flame was touch the silver part. :rage:
I bought it to burn wood chips to make smoked bourbon. Since going keto I don’t touch alcohol anymore though.

(Bunny) #3

This is kinda neat a MINI hydrogen (using only water) torch:

How to make a mini Hydrogen Generator / TUTORIAL

How to make a hydrogen generator? Water to Fuel Converter? By means of electrical influence using simple water one can get gas, and gather in into a special container and use this gas (hydrogen) for power supply of engines or other appliances. We will make a hydrogen generator! I suggest to make a hydrogen generator at home! Watching video tutorial you know how to make a hydrogen generator at home, we just need to find a way to use gas we got from hydrogen!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

I eat more meat than that can sear in a week. Just saying. :sunglasses:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

Have you looked into MAPP gas? I think butane has an odor that will mess up the food.

(Mike W.) #6

This is what I use for my creme brûlée…and for sweating copper joints.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #7

My friends don’t believe me when I tell them I do most of my own plumbing including sweating joints. keto is not sustainable and no one can do their own plumbing. Seems like a trend.

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

I love the look of that thing. But the only use I would have it is cream burlee. I have a cast iron pan I use to sear meats.

@juice, if you get one be sure and post a review in here.

(Running from stupidity) #9

Bought this one. I’ll see in a week or so how it goes.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #10

What is the goal for this thing? If it’s torching small things, like creme brulees and starting wood chips and pellets, go for it. If it’s for searing large cuts of meat, you might be disappointed.

(Running from stupidity) #11

Yeah, small stuff. See how it goes.

I live that this model is the “Fat Boy.”

(Running from stupidity) #13

But not as much as I used to be

:slight_smile:

(Troy) #14

Start with #7 :slightly_smiling_face:

https://www.finedininglovers.com/blog/food-drinks/kitchen-blowtorch/

(Running from stupidity) #15

Nice article. I can see it being pretty useful, and for $15 is worth a shot to see how it goes.

I would have liked a bigger one from Bunnings, but I would have been pushing my luck around here if I got one of them, I think…

Can anyone recommend a good torch? I am looking for one to finish sous vide meat. I find I can’t sear them under the broiler anywhere near as quickly as the recipes claim (WHY is that? The timing never works out for most foods, and we have a really good range…errrrgh) and I wind up cooking out a good deal of luscious fat and juice before I get anything close to a sear. Frying pans work, of course, but smoke up the house terribly.

I’d like a simple torch to do the job, but reading the reviews on Amazon leaves me thinking most of them aren’t strong enough. Any advice?

I actually purchased this one a while back, which works fine. But to be honest, I really don’t care for the butane taste that you get. I have since reviewed quite a few others, and there are some that say they are better for not having this effect. … I have it saved somewhere, but will have to search to see what brand it was again? … And with the large end section, I don’t think searing steak with be a problem either? Just not real sure I want one?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #18

If you need a torch (I don’t, cast iron works better and the broiler or the grill work well too), you might look into getting a Searzall, and whatever torch is compatible. The problem with torches is that they don’t burn the fuel completely and they don’t diffuse the heat that well. So, you get some butane flavor and you get some burned spots and some unseared. A searzall has a screen that prevents the gas flavor from hitting the sear target, and difuses the flame to make searing more even.

I had a searzall. I sold it. It worked okay but flipped out my wife and the cats, and it was more hassle than even searing on cast iron and cleaning all the spatter and desmoking the house.

The secret to searing is being very dry to start, and being patient.

(Running from stupidity) #19

+100000000000000000000

I had a searzall. I sold it.

I really really wanted one, but I couldn’t make a case for it. I’ve got these awesome SolidTeknics pans, so…

The secret to searing is being very dry to start, and being patient.

Yep, get them REALLY dry. I use old dishtowels to dry them.

(Karim Wassef) #20

I just went to harbor freight and got the flame thrower used for industrial weed torching. Runs off propane and seers anything in seconds.

Oh! Use outside only. I put my meat on the grill and torch it there. Literally takes seconds.

Insert “Tim the toolman” sound effects here.