Blood sugar spikes in the morning

dawnphenomenon

(Robert scott) #1

I am a T2 diabetic and started seriously doing keto 3 weeks ago. My blood sugar has been getting better but I have noticed a trend in the morning. Upon waking my sugar is within 90 to 100 but no matter what variable I change (dietary or exercise) my sugar an hour or so after I checked my fasting sugar increases about 30 or so. By lunch time (1100) my sugar is back to within 80 to 95. Why do I see this spike and is there anything I can do to correct this?

I’m not a doctor and this does not substitute for an individual doctor and patient relationship, so I’m not giving medical advise and just presenting information and my personal experience. :slight_smile:

I’m also a Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM), but in remission since being LCHF/keto for years with an average HbA1C of 5.2 consistently for the last 5+ years.

What you’re seeing is probably known as the “dawn effect” where your body releases/makes too much glycogen which in turn raises blood glucose.

An allopathic solution is a drug like Metformin, but there are over-the-counter nutraceutical products that contain berberine that could also help.

(matt ) #3

I have the same thing happen to me. I just am learning to leave it be for now as if I stress over it I will stay higher all day. I go for a walk and hope that helps it come down quicker.

(Chris Bair) #4

Some additional information:

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

Higher fasting blood glucose
(Guardian of the bacon) #5

In Dr. Fung’s latest fasting book he states that The Dawn Effect is very common for type 2’s and those that are insulin resistant. He say’s that the body is working on releasing stored glucose and over time with a good fasting protocol your raised BG levels from the Dawn Effect will lower.

Have you tried taking 2 tbls of raw (with the mother in it) apple cider vinegar before bed in a glass of water. It is supposed to help with this.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #7

I’ve been trying this (for a short while only) and so far haven’t seen a significant difference. But I’m not sure if I ever quite got to full-on T2D, or just IR, so not clear to me to what extent it should impact my morning BG.

I’ll have to have a read-through of the info @Chris_Bair posted when I’ve got time.

I’m not diabetic but I am insulin resistant. The dawn effect happens to me too. I have done a fair amount of research and have never found anything that leads me to be concerned.

(tim_debbie) #9

Yes it’s finally come down for me 6 months plus later. Was 7.2 now 4.8 I’m a happy bunny.

(Robert scott) #10

Thank you all for the replies. I will read through the literature and continue to March on

(Jim) #11

I’ve been Keto for 2.5 years (presently 0.8 mmols blood ketones). A1C dropped from 5.9 to 5.0, but my morning blood sugar is always ~130. By noon it is down to 90-100. Obviously this looks like the “dawn effect”. From reading these posts, it leads me to think this is from Insulin R.

So does that mean I am still IR, Even though all other blood markers say otherwise? I do know that I am very carb insensitive and have to stay well below 20g carb to stay in ketosis .