Blood sugar readings puzzle while extended fasting

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #21

You won’t get the answers you want, but you will get the things that people feel like sharing.

Seems to me that your gluconeogenesis is out of whack, which is common with t2d (that’s one of the reason why metformin is used to treat t2d as it suppresses gluconeogenesis). This may be normal to some degree, insulin resistant people on keto will often have higher fasting glucose, especially in the morning (dawn effect). I’m among them, my fasting bg went from 95 when eating carbs to 105 on keto. However 130 is a lot, especially after 2 weeks of fasting.
I can only reiterate that it’s potentially dangerous to fast unsupervised for a long time if you were diabetic and/or were on t2d medication. For this very reason we don’t have a lot of data what happens on extended fasts with t2d patients. You could try to find reports from russia, there are clinics that use extended fasts (3-4 weeks IIRC) and did so for many decades, so they should have some experience as they check on their patients daily or every other day with bloodwork. However all I saw was a TV report so there were no studies (and I doubt that they published anything in English, but you never know). Another possible resource is Virta, as they have extensive experience with diabetics on keto.

We seem to have very different views on food, so all I can do is to wish you good luck.

(From XL > Medium) #22

If that is so, then there is no point in asking questions.

? I don’t understand this. You ask, people answer with their experience based on what you posted (including warnings if they see something they think is worrisome) and you can sort through it all and decide what is useful for you.

In any case, I’m not sure that anyone can say exactly what’s happening in your body that results in those blood sugar readings. I would think that both Virta and IDM might be good websites to look at since they work with T2D and use fasting as a tool.

(From XL > Medium) #24

I also wanted to add that I did not experience this issue when I have fasted before.
And my blood sugar readings did get to about 85.

(From XL > Medium) #25

I was not asking for exactness.

(Bunny) #26

Interesting,

That 134 is most likely your own body parts being catabolized

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #27

Well, jumping at people that try to help you won’t improve your chances to get an answer.
Gone now.

(Randy) #28

I am in the same boat. I have been fasting since January 5th, and while my BG has been going down (I over did it a bit during the holidays), it keeps sticking around 130. I was expecting to be in double digits by this time (I am currently at 228 hours water fasting). I do get dips into the double digits during the night, but in the morning they pop right back up.

(Deborah) #29

may I ask if you are meds

(Randy) #30

I am taking metformin in the morning, as well as cinnamon, and electrolytes (trace minerals).