Blood Glucose Testing

science

(Javier) #1

Hello this is my first ever post on this but my name is Javier and i had a really serious question that has me pretty confused i started following keto diet for about 4 weeks now , and today was the first time i ever did a blood glucose test and did it with blood testing my result was 139 its counted as mg/dl i believe because that’s was says on the top corner but i wanted to make sure is 139 good or bad i did the blood test like 1-2 hours after eating breakfast and i wanted to be sure because my goal is to get into ketosis or wanted to know if i was already in ketosis because im kind of new into this it mean a lot if you responded thank you!

(Brennan) #2

Blood glucose won’t necessarily tell you if you’re in ketosis. Does the monitor you have, have the option for testing ketones? Different more expense strips, not all glucometers can do both. Or urine ketone strips will be a cheaper alternative but don’t work for everyone, and won’t be as effective once you’re fat adapted.

(Todd Allen) #3

Note, the the 2 hours post meal value of the chart is for a typical high carb meal. Eating keto ones blood sugar ought to be lower.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

You will probably see benefits to your blood glucose level after you’ve been on a ketogenic diet for a while longer, but it can take a while for metabolic numbers to normalize. You didn’t develop your problem overnight, so you won’t cure it overnight, either.

But remember that your blood glucose will vary considerably over the course of a day, so the context in which you took the sample is crucial. Remember also, that the real goal is not to be producing ketones for their own sake, but to become fat-adapted and to keep your insulin levels low, and those are things that cannot be measured directly, not at home, anyway. If you are eating under 20 g/day of carbohydrate and are not dead, you have to be producing ketone bodies. Fat-adaptation, however, will most likely take another four weeks or so. Fat-adaptation is also not an on-off process, but rather comes on gradually, as your metabolism shifts. You may well be partly fat-adapted already, but full adaptation is likely to take more time.

(Consensus is Politics) #5

I have type 2 diabetes, so my BG levels are usually on the high end after meals, and for a long time. Used to be easily 130’s for a couple of hours after a meal, before keto. Now, 14 months in ketosis, after a big meal of 2 chicken thighs, with 1 ounce of cream cheese each, 1/4 cup of pickled jalapeños between them, some BBQ sauce, wrapped in two slices of thick bacon each. Before meal BG 80. 30 minutes after meal BG 92. 1hour after meal, BG 84. Almost zero carbs in that meal, just from jalapeños.

(Barbara Bretan) #6

I spoke to my Dr after being on Keto ~4weeks. She says that life of blood cell i about 3 months. Older cells could be holding on to “old” glucose. We are waiting till 3 month mark to see if/what is improving. Meantime, I’m going with how I feel (pretty good (clearer) getting better every day. Losing about 3 lbs./wk. :grin:

(Consensus is Politics) #7

My point exactly. The HBa1c test is a three month avg of your BG levels by looking at how coated in sugar your blood cells are. It’s a relatively inexpensive test, especially compared to the benefits of knowing this information. I’m curious if that test is part of a panel of tests done before transplants. If not done prior, then they absolutely can not know after. Just basic science.

My point being a doctor saying, “after a transplant it’s common to see high BG readings, and yet not even testing the HBa1c is just plain assuming that was the cause.

In my opinion, type 2 diabetes is a disease being promoted, not being fought against. Don’t beleive me? Look at the established treatments. High carb low fat diets. Inject MORE insulin in higher and higher doses. Blame being obese for causing diabetes.

There has been one treatment that works greater than 90% of the time, a low carb diet. Yet the medical consensus is still “fat is bad for you, plus you need to eat carbs.” which has been debunked years ago, yet they still push a high carb diet.

Sorry, I get on a roll about this.

Keep us informed of your progress. We’re all pulling for you!

(Consensus is Politics) #8

This. Exactly. Which shows they EXPECT you to be eating high carb. To show that same Table, with side by side comparisons with a bunch of different diets would be awesome! Imagine the number of diabetics lives that would be saved! The number of feet not amputated! The number of eyes and kidneys not rotted away! The percentage of obese in the world dropping dramatically!

[insert Steve Martin SNL skit about medice here]

(That was very difficult to find. Odd thing I linked to the only video I could find, on NBC’s site, but the link wont link to it. Search for “Theodoric of York” SNL SKIT, its funny, and a bit too close to home scary at the same time.)

Hence my comment in a previous post of mine (just above this post I think?

“In my opinion, type 2 diabetes is a disease being promoted, not being fought against. Don’t beleive me? Look at the established treatments. High carb low fat diets. Inject MORE insulin in higher and higher doses. Blame being obese for causing diabetes.”