Black coffee

(Marie Drake) #1

I’m off cream in my coffee and, for a minute, felt like I deserved a medal. Now I’m into it. Plus it sure feels better and certainly fasting cleaner makes me feel like a fasting rockstar. 17 hours + into my 3x42 fasting plan this week. Happy Fasting!

(DougH) #2

Good deal!

I have drank it black for a long time now. I like the taste better, and I don’t find myself put out when I am at a place that have really crappy options for creamer.

If you like it black you won’t be one of those people dumping that non-dairy creamer chemical mess into your cup!

(Marie Drake) #3

Oh I haven’t done that fake creamer thing in a million years. Princess here likes grassfed organic heavy cream in her coffee. But it’s not my friend and so I’ve grown a pair of ovaries around the issue-ha ha - and now I am dairy free except for some butter. Dairy is for special occasions now.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #4

Ya gotta keep those balls high and tight.

(Doug) #5

I didn’t do that a huge number of times, perhaps 30 or 40, and now it’s been decades. Yet when I think of it, it’s with considerable horror.

(Carl Keller) #6

In general, I don’t think humans were designed to consume dairy. It’s only been 20,000 years out of the last million or so years that we’ve been exploiting animals for milk. The fact that so many people in modern times are lactose, casein or whey intolerant should be a pretty clear sign that our biological blueprints don’t include the need for dairy.

Having said that, I do enjoy cheese and a little heavy cream in my coffee but I know I don’t need it.

Most babies can digest milk without getting an upset stomach thanks to an enzyme called lactase. Up until several thousand years ago, that enzyme turned off once a person grew into adulthood — meaning most adults were lactose intolerant (or “lactase nonpersistent,” as scientists call it).

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/12/27/168144785/an-evolutionary-whodunit-how-did-humans-develop-lactose-tolerance

(Marie Drake) #7

Yeah, sometimes I think it’s ok and other times not. But my mom was half Apache so they weren’t having any dairy as nomads but my dad was Irish and they were probably having it for about 10,000 years. But still, I feel better when I don’t have it even though it’s basically a keto comfort food for me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Speak for yourself, Carl! Some of us are fortunate to have mutant ancestors who gave us the ability to make lactase into adulthood. :cheese:

Apparently, northern Europeans and the Maasai are separate mutations . . . :milk_glass:

(Marie Drake) #9

So what’s an Irish Apache girl to do?!?!?! Damn.

I’ve always taken it black. Yum!

(Carl Keller) #11

I’m also one of the fortunate… but I could live without dairy. But to have a bacon intolerance would be a tragedy of the worst kind. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Oh, the horror, the horror! :bacon:

(Allan Misner) #13

When I got off Diet Cokes (long before I discovered keto), I began drinking coffee. I used fruit to blunt the initial bitterness and slowly weened myself off he sweetness until I could take it black. Now, I wouldn’t want it any other way.

I’ve never understood where the cream thing came in. I’ve put butter in my coffee (because during my early keto days there was a law or something that said you had to do Bulletproof coffee), but I’d much rather just have it strong and black.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

LOL! Thank goodness they repealed it. I can tolerate heavy cream in my coffee, but black coffee is just so much tastier!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #15

I’ve prefered black coffee since high school. Thankfully Bulletproof coffee was optional by the time I started keto, but I’ve played around with it. I put sweetener in my coffee ONE TIME, because a friend who knew I was doing keto bought me some as a gift. Which was lovely. But bleh :face_vomiting: Still a good gift cause now I know I don’t like it. But HWC, a little unsweetened chocolate and a raw egg… That I enjoy. It is a nice way to sneak an egg into my diet. I like eggs okay, but get tired of them rather quickly.

But fasting days or cream went bad on me days or just random don’t feel like having the slurry days… Good ol’ black coffee is good in my book.

Side tangent: I have a friend with 3 kids under 5, and her husband works a lot so she’s on her own a lot. Her 4 year old initialy would have nothing to do with me, but I made it my quest to make the kid like me so I could help his mom out. Well, I had friends over the other day including this little guy. He’s already been warming up to me but I think I sealed the deal by having him help me make coffee. When we were serving it I asked if he wanted some, assuming that he, like many Chinese people and many children, would be delightedly horrified by the idea. Nope! He was game! So with Mom’s permission I gave him a tiny amount of black coffee with some water. The kid loved it. Sorry Mom!

(David Cooke) #16

I’m pretty sure that the milking of cattle is a fairly recent phenomenon, the small beef cattle that would have been domesticated up to 2-3000 years ago would have given all of their milk to their calves. I can’t see herders stealing more than a mouthful of milk now and then, let alone taking enough to make butter and cheese.
In SE Asia this is still the case.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #17

Yes!!! Yes you do!!!
As much as i love cream in my coffee, I’ve found drinking black coffee keeps the weak people away…

(Doug) #18

:smile::sunglasses::+1:

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #19

Someone offered to make me a coffee the other day…when I said I like it black, no sugar, I got called ‘hardcore’ :joy: I was kinda proud of that!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

Clare, I by no means wish to diminish your achievement. It is always a good thing to keep your co-workers sufficiently cowed, and I’m glad that you were able to accomplish the goal so easily.

But “hardcore”? You work with a bunch of wusses—“hardcore” is munching on the beans straight out of the bag, lol! (I’ll bet that would make their heads explode.) :coffee::coffee::grin::grin: