Bipolar Vegetarian Skinny Starter

(Jonah) #1

Hi there,

I am thinking about doing a Keto diet, but I do not want to lose weight. I am a 6’1 male, 20 years old, who is already too skinny (I only weigh 145 lbs). I have been lacto-ovo vegetarian for the past 6 years of my life, so if I did Keto it would probably be a vegetarian version. The reason I am thinking about trying Keto is that I have bipolar disorder. I have heard read there is some evidence supporting its use as an effective schizophrenia treatment, which has similar mechanisms, and I have read some anecdotal accounts online of people with bipolar disorder who say it has really helped with their mental health. If someone like me tried Keto, do you think I would just lose all my weight and become a pencil? Is it misguided for me to even try given my physical state and suggested outcomes? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

(Carl Keller) #2

You can achieve a state of nutritional ketosis and not lose weight if what you are eating is enough to supply your body’s energy needs. Simply keep your carbs low and eat fat and protein to satiety when you are hungry. If your hunger hormones are working properly, they should tell you when to eat and how much you need to eat. When we don’t have much fat to lose, those signals are usually at peak performance. Our bodies desire to keep some fat on our bones as insurance against famine.

BTW, hello and welcome to the forum Jonah.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

Welcome to the forum. I have bipolar and have been eating this way for over 6 months. My day to day moods have leveled out. I wish you the best in your mental health pursuits!

There’s a good 2KetoDudes podcast with @CarrieBrown (from before she was one of the dudes) where she talks about her experiences with bipolar and going keto. That’s worth a listen.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

The ketogenic diet is actually a weight-normalization diet. It’s really just an artifact that so many people in our society are out of normal on the high end of the spectrum and thus we get the idea that keto is about weight loss. If you eat to satiety, you are likely to find yourself putting on at least a certain amount of weight. Vegetarian keto is a bit more difficult, but can be done. It’s easier if you are willing to eat eggs and/or fish, of course.

Many people on these forums have found that depression is easier to deal with on a ketogenic diet, but not everyone can go medication-free, so tread carefully. I have no idea what the effect might be on mania, so monitor yourself very carefully. I know a couple of people who coped all right with the depression, but who nearly destroyed themselves on extended manic episodes, and I’d hate to see you do the same.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

In my personal experience I can feel myself moving up one level on the mania scale when I skip a meal. That’s why for me fasting is off the table at this point. The euphoria some folks claim when they fast feels like the revving engine of a manic episode. Like PaulL said, something to be mindful of on your journey.

(Jonah) #7

Wow everybody, thank you all so much for all this help and information! I am going to tread cautiously as you’ve all said, certainly not go off of meds, and try and educate myself more; do a lot of thinking before I try anything. But thanks everyone so much, and if anybody else has any thoughts or comments please let me know as well! :slight_smile:

I was a vegetarian for 23 years and I did introduce meat after doing this the vegetarian way for close to 3 months, but honestly I would probably still be doing it vegetarian if my partner had the same success as I did. He was not doing well with 20 net carbs and our budget plus my time cooking wasn’t doing well with a blended diet of him mostly carnivore and me vegetarian. I might go back after we reach a maintenance phase. Anyways, my point is it is totally possible, especially if you eat a lot of eggs and cheese. I did eat a lot of veggie meats like beyond meat and Gardein. Please give it a go, I’m rooting for you!