Beta blockers and keto

('Jackie P') #21

The other thing about beta blockers is that they reduce your heart rate which makes exercise difficult. Trying to exercise was like walking through treacle!

(Bob M) #22

They do. In fact, I can have this odd effect where, when I’m doing the “high” part of my high intensity interval training, my heart rate will go DOWN instead of up. It’s very strange. They also reduce your normal heart rate.

('Jackie P') #23

:confused:I hope you are well now.

(Full Metal KETO) #24

@CrackerJax I still take meds, for life because of my kidney transplant.

Prednisone 5mg. is a hindrance to normal BG levels so it’s taken 9 months to get to 5.6 on my HbA1c.

I still have a clonidine patch which I had hoped to get rid of by now, but I only maintain good blood pressure for 2 weeks or so without it.

I’m on gabapentin because of nerve damage from losing my leg. Tried to quit that, not good.

Omeprazole I still use on demand, instead of nightly. I have a small hiatial hernia so I may never be able to get rid of that either.

But I am on less than half of what most transplant recipients have to take, and also minimal dosages mostly. I have eliminated about 6 drugs since I started keto. So I’m pretty healthy, and happy about it…

@KHAN I took lisinopril for 10 years during reduced renal function before my transplant. Are you a kidney disease patient? Just curious about why it’s prescribed for you. :cowboy_hat_face:

('Jackie P') #25

Wow, you have been through a lot! I have seen a few of your posts referring to the health problems you have/had. Your positivity and good humour always shine through.
Also it seems quite a short timespan that you have been doing Keto. I wish you well for a contunued recovery :relieved:

Thanks everyone for your response and information. I do have a cardiologist appointment next week and I’m trying to research and get as much information I can before I see the doctor. I was housebound or three months because of a staph infection in my TKR. During the three months I came off of keto and started eating junk food and gained 40 pounds. Once I had the TKR revision which was 2 1/2 months ago, I went back on keto. Unfortunately, since I’ve been on the beta blocker I haven’t lost not 1 pound in those 2 1/2 months. I’m hoping when I change my medication I can get back into keto and start losing this weight once again.

(Linda) #27

I’ve lost 65 pounds while on Metoprolol. I have cut my dose in half, but I’m afraid to give it up entirely because I don’t want to go back to a racing heart and palpitations. My pulse used to be over a hundred all the time, even sitting in the recliner. I had been diagnosed with Multifocal Atrial Tachycardia because my heart’s natural pacemaker kept jumping around and caused an irregular heart beat that was very inefficient. I’d get exhausted just taking a shower.

Since my pulse was always very fast even in the best of times, (a family trait) I’m gonna stay on the beta blocker, albeit at a lower dose even if it does make losing harder.

Ironically, when I first started the beta blocker, my blood glucose took a big dive which mystified the doctor. I went from a 6.9 A1C down to a 5.9 even without doing keto. I think the beta blocker helps to manage feelings of stress and that’s what accounted for the A1C drop. Before starting it, I pretty much always physically felt like it was the night before the first day of school, if you get my drift. My body always felt like it was flooded with adrenalin, even when there was no reason.

We’re all different, aren’t we?

After searching long and hard for the last month I finally found the solution to my dilemma, high cortisol. For the last five months, I’ve been extremely stressed out from having a two-stage TKR revision. I came across a video from Thomas DeLauer called - Do Keto Diets Increase Cortisol: Low Carb Diets & Stress. In his video he explains how having high cortisol due to stress can convert protein into sugar. I would listen closely after the 4:40 marker. I did more research on how to reduce high cortisol and came across another great video that recommended Ashwagandha to relieve stress and lower cortisol. I started taking Ashwagandha this past Monday 5/27/19. The following day, believe it or not, I was in kurtosis, finally. I’ve been taking Ashwagandha daily since Monday and checking my keto stix all week and every day since I’ve been in kurtosis. Not only that in the last week I have lost 6 pounds. Goes to show you never give up until you find the solution to your problem.

(Dee In NY, US wasT2D. Started keto June 14, 2019) #29

Is this still working for you?

Thanks.