Best Times to Test for Ketones?

(KB Keto) #21

It’s a keto study at Ohio State. I have a log (that I need to sit down and update tomorrow…) at KB's KETO Diet Study

(KB Keto) #22

Heres my morning fasted numbers. Guess which one I had less than 5 hours of sleep on and which one I had 5.5 hours. The other 2 are over 7 hours sleep.

(Chantay) #23

Are the higher numbers on less sleep? Haha, I’m driving myself crazy already trying to justify my answer!

(KB Keto) #24

The high glucose numbers are from the low sleep. It just shows how important sleep is as well. None of those days was I above 20g net carbs… But sleep was significantly off.

(Bobby Edwards) #25

Hi all, new to this, three days in and going strong. Just bought some keto strips for testing however don’t really know what I’m looking for.

I guess the higher the number the better right?

Is there any kind of markers to aim for the longer you stay in ketosis? i.e. Month 2 you should be a t a certain level etc?

Thanks in advance.

Bobby

(Sardelle) #26

I’d definitely test morning and night for a couple of days to see if you’re in ketosis. The strips for blood testing are expensive, but after the first couple of weeks, when you’re sure you’re in it most of the time, you can back way off on checking.

I was low carb/high fat for 3 years before starting keto, and it took me less than day to burn through my glycogen stores and kick over, but I noticed it the moment I did. I got very thirsty, peed a bunch the rest of the day, and starting craving salt. My keto flu wasn’t bad, but I definitely had some symptoms (mostly if I wasn’t getting enough electrolytes). Just throwing this out there because it sounds like you might not be in ketosis yet if you haven’t experienced any symptoms.

(Sardelle) #27

The gurus all seem to say that if you’re at or above .5 on a blood ketone test, you’re in ketosis and you’re good. It doesn’t necessarily matter if you’re higher. Some of the podcasters who have been doing it longer say they were higher when they first started and are lower after a while on the diet, maybe because the body gets efficient at only making the amount of ketones it needs.