Best Practices for Extended (48 hr+) Fasting?

fasting
health

TMI warning: potty discussion follows.

I finished my first 48-hour fast yesterday at suppertime. I have been eating one meal a day (supper) since July, with no issues, and I found the extension of the fast to 48 hours surprisingly easy to do. There wasn’t a lot of hunger even at the point of breaking the fast … which I did with a small steak, some steamed broccoli, and some arugula-and-tomato salad with a vinaigrette dressing.

And, shortly thereafter, … it hit. I spent the next half-hour in the bathroom. I didn’t feel at all bad – there were no cramps, pain, or burning – but there was diarrhea.

I gather from the reading I did after the event that this is not an uncommon event to follow upon breaking one’s fast. My question is: what are best practices to forestall or minimize this “gut reaction”? Are certain meals better choices for last meal prior to starting the fast (I had crack slaw, with about half a cabbage in the recipe; maybe a poor choice?) and are there tried-and-true foods people have found to be gentler reintroductions?

PS I dropped a kilo over the 48 hours, which was gratifying. I would like to incorporate 48 hour fasts into my regime, but I am reluctant to do it if this kind of sequel is to be expected.

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

I eat strict keto, with a tad more fat the day before starting an extended fast. I use lots of pink salt while fasting. I eat a small amount, 5-10 macadamia nuts or olives, for example, to break my fast and wait about half hr. or more to eat a higher fat keto meal.

Some people report eating eggs ending a fast can cause them to react the same as you did.

Be sure to read up on fasting protocols on Dr. Fung’s site or in his guidebook to fasting. It was the next step I needed to reach my goal weight and keeping it off. I mix up my fasting as per Megan Ramos’ suggestions in her podcast with the 2keto dudes’ episode 58.

Congrats on having both an easy and successful fast.
KCFO
KCKO

Thank you! I will try the approach you suggest to break the next 48 hr+ fast.

While googling this physiological response to ending a longer fast, I was surprised to see a medical report from a hospital in the Middle East stating that gastro-intestinal issues such as cramps and diarrhea were extremely common reasons for emergency room visits during Ramadan, during which Muslims fast from sun-up to sun-down (not sure whether even water is permitted). The ER doctors stated that they advise patients to break their fasts gently, with a couple of dates and some water, to avoid this.

I’ll give the dates a miss, but the olives sound good. I’m relieved – in a sense – to know that this is just a thing to be avoided if possible, and not something that closes off longer fasts to me.

Thanks again.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

It is a dry fast. Megan addressed this in one of her podcasts, they don’t recommend doing dry fasting, but do work with folks who do dry fasting for religious reasons.

Both Jews and Muslims cannot eat or drink during fasting (sunset to sunset for Jews, occasionally on special holidays; first lights of the morning to sunset for Muslims, a month a year, plus volontarily on some other days during the year). In any case, Muslims tend to break the fast very heavily at social gatherings, anyone eating like this would have some issues I guess :slight_smile:

(Jennifer) #6

The best way I have found to end a fast is with olives. The fat and fiber allow your digestive track to slowly start back up again. Eat 5-6 or so at least 30 minutes before you plan on eating a normal meal. Otherwise, food goes right through me…

I will also eat olives during a fast if I don’t feel right. Sometimes they allow me to continue fasting and other times it doesn’t help and I’ll end my fast and eating.

Hi. I don’t know if this thread is too old, but I wanted to share an observation. I start my fast with a saltwater flush so that I can plan when all those toxins are going to come out lol. So I can forestall the trouble you describe.

(DougH) #8

I like to break my intermittent and extended fasts with a big cup of bone broth. Then I eat a normal keto meal an hour later. Seems to work well for me.

I saw a recent video from Dr. Benjamin Bikman who was a guest on the HVMN youtube channel. He was talking about Keto and glucagon but there was some discussion of extended fasts. He cautioned about breaking a fast with a high carb meal because it might cause a serious potassium imbalance. I don’t think that would be a concern for most of us here.