Berries

(Ron) #1

Has anyone ever experimented with berries?

I know obviously they are sugary, and can’t be a diet staple in a ketogenic diet… I know Richard talks about having a few blueberries every now and then.

I have recently listened to Spartan Up by Joe De Sena, and he gives some diet advice at the end… which is mostly horrible, but he got me thinking about one thing. I was considering taking a week or two and trying to add a few (i.e. 2-3) of a few different types of berries, for the micros… I know so few would likely not give much, but getting it from real food just seems better than from a multivitamin.

(Wenchie) #2

I think blueberries and raspberries are supposed to be ok, if eaten in small doses

(Duncan Kerridge) #3

I have raspberries a couple of times a week, either with some full fat yogurt or in some keto muffins. In small doses they’re pretty low in carbs

I have about a quarter cup of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries (individually or a combo) with cream most days for the duration that they’re in season. Then far more sparingly when they’re not in season. This didn’t detrimentally affect my progress in any way this summer. My advice, for what its worth, is embrace n=1 and just give it a go. :grin:

(Ron) #5

n=1 is all any of us can really rely on :laughing:

According to my My fitness pal 10 raspberries have 2.3g carbs. I hope that’s correct because I had 10 last night. :grimacing:

Yeppers! Looking forward to hearing how you go.

Mmmmmmm…raspberries. When I can be bothered, I pipe a bit of fresh whipped cream into their centres as soon as I get home from the market and pop them into the freezer, that way they keep a bit longer and are a lovely icy treat on a warm evening. I miss Summer already and winter hasn’t even hit yet!

(bulkbiker) #9

I buy frozen raspberries to keep in the freezer and have as a treat sometimes… 50g of those with double cream (HWC in the US) are great,. The cream kinda freezes on the berries to make fake ice cream. No BG spikes after that.

I have berries in the freezer that I froze fresh in the summer. I had 10 last night with some double cream and a teaspoon of organic unsweetened cacao nibs. Felt very decadent and satisfying.

Possibily a dumb question, but what does n=1 mean?

(Scott Telfer) #12

Test yourself and see how you react. From an evolutionary perspective they are one of the least tampered with commercially available fruits. I find with coconut oil, desicated coconut and double cream raspberry and blueberries have way less impact than strawberries.

Not dumb at all, and something you’ll see a lot here on the Forums and will hear when listening to 2 Keto Dudes. It means an experiment with only one subject, ie. you. You’ll get lots of great advice from the Keto community, but at the end of the day, do what works for you; your lifestyle, your culture, your body. No one knows it better than you. :+1:

(betsy.rome) #14

You can make a pretty good & easy sauce for cheesecake by cooking up frozen (or fresh) rhubarb and raspberries, with a partial package of SF Jello and/or Knox gelatin + sweetener of choice to taste; a little fresh lemon juice helps the flavor. The more rhubarb you use, the fewer carbs. Only takes a few minutes in a pot on the stove, you could also microwave it. Raspberries are the lowest carb fruit (well, after avocado!).

(bulkbiker) #15

I really love these from dietdoctor…

(Allie) #16

I have 30g blueberries most days with 150g cultured Greek yogurt and am doing just fine :slight_smile:

(Daniel) #17

I’d keep it to 1/4 cup at a time. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, boysenberries.

(Todd Allen) #18

I used to be a fruit-a-holic until I realized how problematic their sugars (both glucose and fructose) are for me. However, there are some less popular berries (that aren’t sweet) and don’t have as much sugar such as cranberries, elderberries, chokeberries, etc. and other types of fruit like lemons and limes that I use to add flavor, color and texture to a variety of fat bomb type treats without busting my carb budget. Although you need to find them fresh as in most any processed form including dried they often are adulterated with added sugars, refined oils and other crap.

(Alex Dipego) #19

I’m not against berries, but what micro nutrition do they provide that an animal source does not. I’d be you’d find the same elsewhere at a higher bioavailability.

(Jo Lo) #20

We use a few (bb, sb, rb) in our kale, collagen, Vit D, sulfurophane (frozen broc sprouts), coconut milk smoothie a few times/week.

Toddy for the Boddy, you know.