Berries

(Todd Allen) #21

Of the vitamins, vitamin C is the one where berries most shine and animal products often fall short, followed by vitamin A. For minerals, meats tend to be lacking in manganese which is found in high quantity in raspberries and cranberries. Most berries have significant fiber which is lacking in animal foods. The value of fiber is more debatable than vitamins and minerals, but many think it beneficial for bowel health promoting beneficial gut bacteria which helps keep harmful gut bacteria in check. Some find fiber improves bowel regularity. Fiber may also slow digestion and reduce insulin response. Berries are good sources of a wide range of polyphenols such as anthocyanins and flavonoids with a wide range of potentially beneficial properties. Curiously flavonoids are ketones although this is probably irrelevant for us ketogenic dieters as plant ketones are quite different from the ā€œketone bodiesā€ we desire.

(Barbara Greenwood) #22

I have some combination of raspberries, strawberries and blueberries pretty much every day, with cream. Probably 100g.

So shoot me.

(Alex Dipego) #23

Vitamin c is less necessary than we think and is relative to carb intake. Eating our dark leafy greens suffices here.

Fish and eggs are providers of vitamin a.

Shellfish are high in manganese having nearly an entire dayā€™s worth in 1oz from mussels.

Fiber is arguable for sure, but fat also slows digestion and with the lack of starch what is actually needed from fiber?

Again Iā€™m not against eating berries, Iā€™ll toss in a salad with olive oil though rarely. Iā€™m just saying itā€™s not a requirement.

(Barbara Greenwood) #24

I donā€™t eat them because I think I need them. I eat them because I like them.

There are other foods I like which I no longer eat, because Iā€™ve concluded they will harm me.

Tee hee!!! Love it.

We often have raspberries or blackberries with HWC. Wife loves it. I call it a ā€œfruit treat.ā€

(Brian) #27

I tend to have them as ingredients. As a for instance, if I make some muffins, I may put a cup of blueberries in the whole recipe, which is usually 12 keto muffins. So eating a blueberry muffin probably gets me a total of maybe 5 or 6 blueberries, not a big deal. But I donā€™t sit down and eat 3 cups of blueberries at a time. That would be a big deal. Similar with the other berries.

I like the flavor. I enjoy the flavors in my food. Iā€™d also like to think that there might be something in them that is actually good for me, too. I know, itā€™s not a lot of whatever it might be. But if it doesnā€™t hurt me (and I donā€™t think it does), and I enjoy it, why not?!

(Troy) #28

No Berries for me at all
Such a Long time of eating any until ā€¦

on super bowl Sunday, I had about 1/2 cup or so of halved strawberries w whipped cream and cinnamon

Good?
Yes

Do I crave now?
No

(Rob) #29

I occasionally have a bowl of whipped cream (~100ml from the pot) with a small handful of blueberries, raspberries or 3 / 4 sliced strawberries in it. I either have it as a light lunch (if Iā€™m not fasting) or if my main evening meal has been on the smaller side for a dessert. Yummy creamy goodness! :smiley:

I have raspberries almost daily. I make a desert with sugar free jello, whipped cream, raspberries and dark chocolate shavings.