Benefits of Keto?

(Veronica) #1

As a newbie I’d like to ask any of you who are more experienced eating ketogenically what benefits you discovered if any, and also if you felt you had to make adjustments to the diet along the way. Nothing is set in stone as I understand everyone is unique and respond differently, I welcome both positive and negative experiences on the ketogenic diet’s effects, and lastly, I wish to know if anyone experienced bone loss on keto?

I can share a few of my benefits which is already my clothes are looser, my skin appears better, and my lipoedema pain is reduced. On the negative side I find it a bit harder to sleep and stay awake for longer.

(Rebecca ) #2

Welcome!
I have eaten Ketogenically since June of 2019. I am 61 now and find it has increased my energy and stamina. It has also stopped constant thinking about foods and weight.
We don’t dine out often, but when we do it is simple for me. We eat very well at home.
I remember having the sleep issues at the beginning but that settled itself.
I also had my thyroid disease calm down and my vision has improved!! I still require glasses but the strength has lessened! All of my biomarkers are ideal (blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides etc)
I guess I can say that my overall wellbeing is outstanding by eating this way!
I hope for the best for you!

(Veronica) #3

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. It’s both wonderful and uplifting to read how much the ketogenic diet has benefitted you! :slight_smile: And glad the sleep problems settled for you. That your eyesight improved is fantastic, as well as your energy and stamina. Are you on any meds at all? And what do you do for exercise?

(Rebecca ) #4

You’re welcome!
I take a Natural Dessicated Thyroid supplement…that’s it. My activity is walking every day…I love to walk!

I wrote a long comment and deleted it but try to do a short one.

My original keto: nothing except fat adaptation and better, lower-carb habits.

Fat adaptation: cuter, softer hunger (still insistent most of the time).

Carnivore or close to it: well this is the thing :slight_smile: Most food related problems disappear (I was - am? - addicted to peanuts but when I do carnivore, I never miss it. and it’s good as this is the only not particularly carby item that feels not so good), better satiation, I love the simplicity too.
I am very undisciplined but I just loses a bunch of problematic desires on carnivore. I don’t really have cravings, per se… But things seem a good idea, I fancy this and that and I can’t resist, that’s not my style. I am usually satisfied on carnivore, it’s good. (Sometimes I get bored of my food and go off but carnivore is lovely while lasts.)
So I get physical and mental changes, I become a different, better person who don’t feel compelled to add non-ideal items. It means A LOT to me.

I had no important health problems on high-carb though there are rooms for improvement (hair, nails, eyes, energy… nothing this far). The changes between HC -> LC -> keto -> carnivore was still noticeable except the LC->keto one as there was nothing of the sort there, I felt the same, it just was harder and I had to track every day. But I felt this is my direction, fortunately. And I ADORE fat adaptation.

Okay it’s long enough at this point so I stop.
I just mention that my original keto was around 40g net carbs (I usually stay below 20g on carnivore but I don’t care anyway) and I do it on and off. I will test longer term carnivore(-ish) when I can, hopefully soon!

(Veronica) #6

That’s great, the fewer meds the better when it is achievable. The body is really so great at healing itself when it is provided with all the right building blocks. I love walking too. I believe it is the best exercise and it’s free, sustainable, and soul-nourishing, just like good food and company can be. But the best motivator is just listening to one’s body’s voice and hearing it say Yes, I feel so good right now :slight_smile:

(Veronica) #7

Hi, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I can well believe eliminating the foods we crave also in time will remove our cravings for them, so makes it easier for us to just avoid slipping up and honestly, who wants that uphill battle every day? So as addiction wears off, and typically it is the processed food that is addictive (whoever heard of someone becoming addicted to eggs?) the body realises it just doesn’t need those carbs and can do fine without them. I personally find cravings can be more an emotional thing, like a food attached to a particular childhood memory, and for me that is rice pudding, when I smell it it brings be back… But that isn’t say I will eat it. Nuts can be addictive, so I limit it to a set amount. Anyways, the simplicity of cooking on a keto diet and carnivore which perhaps will be in my future is also a great motivator, for me personally. I think so long as one eats intuively and listens to one’s body the healing journey continues regardless of diet, and there’s always something new to learn and experience along the way.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Definitely share the smaller waistline and better skin. I didn’t get the energy level people talk about (waking early, having plenty of time and energy to clean the closets, and so forth) because I needed healing from a fatigue syndrome, and so I ended up with just a normal level of energy. But this week, I was able to blow the leaves off the lawn on Thursday, mow on Friday, and then go out door-to-door Saturday campaigning for the upcoming election—all chores that in the past would have put me in bed for two days afterward, recovering.

For me, the main benefits were (as I had hoped) metabolic: lower fasting blood glucose and HbA1C, lower heart rate, normal blood pressure, less inflammation (joint pain went away, inflammatory markers normalised), and an effortless 80-lb./36-kg drop in weight. My LDL ended up at the high end of the range, which had me worried for a bit, but my doctor explained that on keto, LDL is really irrelevant, and my ratio of triglycerides to HDL is very good, so my cardiovascular risk is minimal. He was very pleased with the results.

I don’t consider it an addiction but I badly need eggs, I can’t live without them (or it would be a miserable existence)… And I crave meat more than anything else… But it happens with eggs too sometimes… :slight_smile:

I need processed stuff for variety or add fat sometimes, I am not addicted to them and couldn’t eat much of them if wanted.

It’s possible I don’t exactly know what addicted is…? The not full-blown one where skipping them causes withdrawals, I don’t have that with food except of course eggs, meat and probably some dairy items… I can be without the rest for a long time.

Btw MY body realized it doesn’t need carbs long ago. It’s totally my mind keeping me back…

You have such a nice positive attitude by the way, it surely helps you with, like, everything :wink:

(Veronica) #11

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. Your current energy level sounds good to me. It’s always encouraging to read someone’s positive experience and health journey. I had read ldl cholesterol could go up on keto, but that, as you mentioned, it isn’t a problem and doesn’t raise the risk of cardiac disease.

Before I even dared to start keto, having grown up with the advice, carbs such are good, fat should be limited pertaining to the old food pyramid, it took a bit of researching, reading a few articles both for and against a high fat, low carb diet, and also reading various persons’ experiences. And then whilst trying to find out more, as I like to be well informed, I discovered this wonderful forum, and so glad I did. As it’s early days for me I am hopeful, but also realistic about my expectations, as I understand it doesn’t work for everyone. But it is deeply uplifting and encouraging to read the successes of those who do thrive on a high fat, low carb diet.

There’s always those who will be dead against it, and I respect their opinion too. It’s what so many people been told for so many years: eat grains, fruits and vegetables. Limit meats and fats. Eat plant based, and so on. And what research has shown is this way of eating is causing insulin resistance. Fructose can only be metabolised in the liver, and so if it isn’t used up right away will cause problems in the way of fatty liver disease, high cholesterol, metabolic issues, diabetes. But still that old advice is what most doctors stick with sadly.

Anyway, I still believe the most important thing, as our healing journeys are so very individual, is that we listen to our bodies and don’t just follow research and studies. As there is a lot of bias there. It’s a slippery slope really as so many varied opinions on the subject, from individuals to doctors and nutritionists. I think if we solely listened to their advice instead of following our own bodies, our healing would surely stall in a sea of doubt and confusion.

I’ve been on Keto for around 4 months now, and if there have been any negative effects, then I certainly haven’t clocked them yet!

I’m dumping fat and reshaping very nicely, I definitely have more mental clarity and energy, and a far healthier relationship with food in general.

I’ve slept like a baby pretty much since day one, and as someone who often suffered long bouts of insomnia, that’s a true blessing.

I obviously can’t speak to bone health/loss ofc with it 1) being a relatively short time and 2) having no idea how I would be able to tell without medical assistance xD

(Jane) #13

My husband and I started low carb in Dec 2017 and switched to keto in Jan 2018. He had lots of skin tags on his neck and they are all gone now. I have had dark “age spots” just peel off and never come back on my arms and hands. My hair is darker. My profile pic is a couple of years old but I was 60-ish in it and I do not dye my hair. I feel better and healthier, weight down over 30 lbs. Hubby has reduced joint pain.

We just got back from Europe and on the way over we got caught without being abe to eat for nearly 24 hours and by the time we got to our AirBnB everything was closed. I had a small bag of beef jerky and some roasted pumpkin seeds in my backpack and we had that for dinner and it was enough. No way could we have managed that on a SAD diet - would have been ravenously hungry and miserable.

My A1C is normal (down from pre-diabetic) and bloodwork very good.

I can occassionally splurge on potatoes at dinner and be back into ketosis by morning.

(Veronica) #14

I am very excited to learn how my body will feel once fat-adapted. At the moment I believe I may be in ketosis, as I’ve been keeping to under 20 total carbohydrates, which is easy to do when you mostly eat eggs, cheese and some kind of meat, and then just track the carbs of any additional food-treat such as a set amount of nuts, berries or vegetables. I do notice, however, that berries and some vegetables will increase the feeling of hunger whereas nuts, cheese, eggs and meat suppress it. So then it becomes a combination of tracking carbs, building firm habits and using also a little will-power. Did you find as you became fat-adapted it was easier to stay in ketosis?

(Laurie) #15

I’ve been on and off Atkins, keto, and (almost) carnivore for 20 years. The “off” periods have been due to lifestyle changes and carb addiction.

The benefits have been weight loss and reduced hunger. And it’s cheaper.

No other notable benefits or drawbacks, that I’m aware of.

(Allie) #16

I could live without them, but would run out of space to store them in if I didn’t eat so many :rofl:

(Veronica) #17

It is interesting reading about the youthful effects on a ketogenic diet, it may be that there’s some autophagy at work there with or without intermittent fasting. The suppressed appetite I already recognize, it is certainly a benefit as also it saves money. As far as I understand keto with or without intermittent fasting lowers insulin which in turn lowers inflammation, and inflammation is at the heart of so many illnesses, so perhaps it really could be a cure for a host of conditions, but too early to tell. It’s all very interesting and very uplifting :slight_smile:

(MC) #18

I hear you on the sleep issues. Probably my only issue on keto, other than trying to work out what to eat as a vegetarian. I tend not to eat in the evenings and I think that’s part of the problem with sleep, maybe the liver trying to poke us awake to go find something to hunt and consume.

On the plus side, smaller breasts for me. Might sound trivial but less swelling overall is far more comfortable, had a carby week now I’m noticing the difference and discomfort. Definitely water retention, water being blocked from cells by the glucose, so looking forward to getting back into keto and losing it.

(Veronica) #19

Yes keto is really good for water rentention. On my first week of keto I lost 3kg, all water, and I believe the water loss was the reason behind the reduced inflammation. High insulin levels make your body retain water and keto does the opposite. When I was eating a lot of carbs I ached constantly, and now hardly at all. It really is a good motivator. That doesn’t mean the smell of say, fresh bread doesn’t tempt me. But knowledge of what the carbs do and how the body reacts hormonally, how insulin works does help to resist the temptation. The body knows best is what I’ve learned, and so we really have our health-compass right there, but of course it’s such a complex thing our body and so many things can affect our system over time such as overly processed foods, toxins and even stress. But my feeling about that is we can only do our best.

I went keto in 2015 because close relatives have type2 diabetes and I was pre-diabetic. I have not become diabetic. But my fasting blood insulin is higher than I would like and has recently snuck upward again. In 2013 my dad died from rapid onset dementia. I’m planning on dying doing something active with a bright inquisitive mind when I am much older.

When I went keto my wife exclaimed, “Who woke up the Bear?”

Doing a body scan. I have thick, luxuriant blonde wavy hair like Farrah Fawcett in the 1970’s. It is slowly silvering on the sideburns. Farrah did not have sidies. The silvering is in slow mo. My two brothers, one older and one younger both have thin hair, younger brother is pretty much bald.

I do wear glasses for driving, and for reading books at night, but I used to wear glasses all of the time for everything. I need good eyesight as I like bird watching and I like to see what is in the water around me, and to ‘read’ the ocean, when I am surfing.

Mentally I have more capacity to think and problem solve. That got impacted by a recent virus, but it is returning. I work in a creative space and I teach bright young minds. So, I need to keep pace. I am calmer when I have my electrolytes en-pointe, balanced. I reckon it is the magnesium supplementation that helps me.

I have lost pre-diabetic skin tags and find I don’t need sunscreen for most of the summer. I’ll apply some zinc oxide based sun block if the surf is good and I’m in the water for hours. When I am on plan properly, I don’t need deodorant. If body odour arises, that is a signal for adjusting the WOE and lifestyle.

My dentist is amazed at my strong teeth. I do get teeth ache (generalised) sometimes and that seems to be related to other oxalate dumping symptoms. I still get dental calculus build up, but when my teeth are cleaned I have white, strong munchers. No gum problems. No gut problems.

Some days I feel strong and invincible but mainly I can be physically active and recover well for subsequent days. I eat a meal twice a day between 12 noon and 6pm. Very limited food cravings, and if they occur, then that is a signal that something is off and needs adjustment. I understand my hunger signals now. I’m almost 2m tall, and from the age of about 10 years old until I started keto at 50 years old, I was constantly ‘hungry’. My body weight has gone up and down despite being on keto, that 4 decades of metabolic starvation will take some time to heal.

There are some lifestyle things that are harder to control, or just outside of one’s control and need adaptive responses. For example, when one is well, bright, energetic, they attract more attention, and that can mean the boss at work thinks that means more work capacity. So, when I over-work, or am over-worked, some benefits unravel, and it shows in eating off plan, weight gain and joint pain. The low carb, keto nutrition base provides a base for rapid recovery.

I had an immune-based polyarthritis condition for a year from a reaction to some medication. But that has resolved now after being on a stricter elimination-style keto diet.

Unfortunately, when I am “in-the-groove” on the plan, I can lose too much electrolytes and I have had some heart palpitations and rhythm problems associated with that. So, that needs close monitoring for me on this way of eating (WOE).

Wow, this has been fantastic to reflect on things. Good question, thanks.

I’ll be back to delete this comment after you read it, as it gives up a bit too much personal info, in a public searchable space. Hope it helps motivate your exploration of this health-giving nutrition approach.

(Veronica) #21

Hi, that’s a wonderful list of benefits, your body is clearly thriving on your WOE. And yes, it is encouraging :slight_smile: I always find it uplifting to read other persons’ individual successes and victories, as so many of us tend to spend far too much time fumbling in the dark for an answer to our health problems. So to find a solution that brings that much needed relief as well as improved quality of life is like finding the holy grail.

There is an idea that diet can either cause or potentially cure a whole host of illnesses that should be given the neccessary funding to examine. Diseases such as cancer, dementia, diabetes, to name just a few. And another idea, which has not been given sufficient research, but could be promising, is the tool of fasting for prevention and possibly healing of these conditions and others. I still find it a bit of a slippery slope the question about whether to induce autophagy, as it is possible to upset the balance and go overboard. But as I understand it, there’s always some autophagy going on in the body regardless of fasts, as that is the natural process in a healthy immune system. Of course, a lot of us struggle with damaged immune systems, and then it gets trickier, and requires science and further research to show us the way. Anyway, I wish you best of health, thank you for sharing your story.