Beginning OMAD next week- what do I need to get through the day?

(Dan) #1

I definitely want to make sure that I am still getting necessary nutrients and not feeling sluggish during the day. What should I consume while fasting?

I have a morning coffee every day; that wont stop

I know people have recommended things like magnesium supplements and salt water. I do have some pink Himalayan salt. But I am open to whatever other options would keep my electrolytes up too.

What do you recommend having during the day when you are only eating dinner?

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #2

You don’t really need anything, that’s the magic of it! You really only need to remember to keep hydrated, as a lot of the water we consume comes in our food.

I like to keep green tea handy, as that kills hunger pangs for me. Some people like to suck on some salt here and there, but that’s mostly useful for longer fasts than 24 hours. You’re going to feel great! Just remember that hunger comes in waves and those waves pass. Good luck!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Make sure you eat enough fat, and adequate protein. Focus a little less on vegetables to make sure you get the protein and fat in, before you fill up on vegetables. Stay hydrated and make sure you get enough salt because dropping a meal that’s salted will lower your daily intake. If you haven’t been supplementing magnesium you don’t need to start it now just because you’re going OMAD.

:cowboy_hat_face:

Once you are used to it, probably nothing. If you feel a bit off try some salt water. I keep a jar of “sole” water which is pink salt dissolved as far as it can be dissolved into water and will add a couple of teaspoons to a glass of water. Have some if you feel hungry. It amazes me how I can easily mistake need for salt as hunger.
The best thing about this long term is the freedom it gives you. Not even thinking about food/eating most of the time is truly liberating. It takes awhile to get into the rhythm but so worth it.

(Katie) #5

I want to suggest to you that you end the meal with a fat bomb.
That fat will keep you satisfied all night long and well into the next day.
At first you may have to tough out that last couple hours, but the fat will make it easier to start.

Over the course of a couple weeks you might find that the extra fat isn’t really needed any more, which is good because while your body is burning fat, you really want it to be mostly burning the fat already stored up in your body not the stuff you just ate.

If you need a bit of extra fat to go the distance…try a big tablespoon of butter in your coffee. Avoid dairy if you can…it will break your fast.

(Carl Keller) #6

Besides a pinch of salt here and there, coffee, tea or even water might help you get past the difficult times when you are thinking about eating. For me, most of the battle was enduring the hour when I normally would have been eating lunch. Our hormones always know what time it is and once you can convince them that lunch has been indefinitely been canceled, OMAD should be fairly easy. Just remember that clock hunger isn’t real hunger.

Also, make sure you are eating plenty of food when you do eat. No need to stuff yourself silly but make sure you are including plenty of good fats and protein.

(Dan) #7

i end most nights with 2 peanut butter fat bombs my wife and I make, so this shouldn’t be an issue! Thanks!

(Dan) #8

So my only question with this is in regards to the “freedom” you are referring to. From what I understand, I still have to hit my macros. I do this pretty seriously, and I weight train almost daily, so it is important to me that I do hit the carb/fat/protein goals that I had been even before OMAD. I know some people have moved to OMAD for the freedom and it has worked for them, some people have even done it without keto and literally eat whatever they want in that one meal. I mean hypothetically, eating poorly once a day IS better than doing it 3x a day lol. But I don’t think I am going to stop tracking/hitting my macros, so my freedom might be limited

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #9

Tracking macros and freedom are not mutually exclusive. I spent years packing breakfast and lunch to work, but now I haven’t brought food to work for nearly a year. I still track my macros, but by now I’m somewhat befuddled by all of the energy and time I see my coworkers put into heating and eating their lunches. That used to be me too, I can’t believe I wasted all of that time preparing all of that food and carrying it around with me. I rarely eat OMAD, I eat at 3 and 6 pm most days, but never at work.

Tracking is a great idea and can really help you understand your food intake at a fairly granular level. If your experience is anything like mine, after 6 months or so of tracking it just becomes intuitive and can be more of a burden than a help. Nifty thing about establishing long lasting lifestyle routines!

(Bob M) #11

As an opposite viewpoint, I’ve been low carb/keto for 5.5 years and have never tracked anything. The only time I tracked anything was when I was eating massive amounts of protein to see the effect on my blood sugar. I ate OMAD yesterday, and ate 3 pork chops, some salad with onions, cheese crisps, EVOO, AC and red wine vinegar, olives, a tiny bit of store-bought BBQ sauce on 1.5 of the pork chops, some macadamia nuts, one sausage with mustard and onions. Have no idea what any “macro” was, nor do I care. I think it’s insane that people think they have to “hit” macros and therefore gobble fat or are terrified of going over protein. Don’t be concerned. Just eat low carb and stress less.

(Dan) #12

gotta do what works for you. I do want to track because I have specific weight loss and fitness goals I want to hit. plus I actually don’t mind it. But if how you do it is working, great work buddy, sounds like a delicious dinner!