Beginning of Day 4...Let's hope I can get through this

newbies
beginning
food

Crystal, your goal right now is to make it to day 5. If you can do days 1 - 4 (congratulations!!!) you can do day 5. Come back on here and read one success story every time you think you’ll reach for something, and make it through the next few hours.

(Crystal) #22

I have to say, I’m kind of scared of pork rinds because I’m not a fan of pork myself. What do they taste like? I’ll buy some tomorrow to try some out though!

(matt ) #23

They don’t have a whole lot of taste esp. if you use them with dip. BUT do not open the bag under your nose. The smell is not the best :slight_smile:

(Olivia) #24

Just avoid the entire lunch break and remove yourself physically and mentally from this situation and the peer-pressure. For example, get outside of the building and walk for 30-45 minute, whilst listening to a keto-podcast episode or to your favorite songs. Maybe, a little meditation might help: https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/mindfulness-meditation-9
Other excuses you might want to say: you have a doctor’s appointment and it requires not eating X, Y and Z or you have a stomach flu and want to avoid too much contact with food and people. Your test results are back and it turns out your gluten intolerant. I know lying is bad – but it helps.

(Crystal) #25

Thanks for the tip! Any suggestions on what kind of tip? I have cream cheese at home. Don’t know if that’s really considered a dip haha

(Crystal) #26

Thank you! I just saw the lunch come in and don’t know what it is yet but I would like to know what there is. My mind is going crazy right now. Basically, I’m making excuses so that I can give into loads of carbs but I also want to see if I have the mental and physical capacity to fight it. Removing from the situation would be one thing, but confronting the situation means more to me. It makes me feel stronger and that I can fight my desires for sugar and be able to continue with keto. Again, I might give in and this may be an excuse but I am hoping that I do NOT give in because I want to WIN!

(matt ) #27

You can make a ton of fatty dips with mayo, cream cheese, sour creme, cheese, etc Add whatever you like, veggies, herbs, meats.

Guac is also easy to make and very keto (if you buy it check the ingredients)

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #28

You have the ability to do this.

Whether you do it is entirely within your control.

Like others, I have had best experience when I embrace foods that are Keto compliant on their own, and not aiming for sweetness or imitation baked goods.

This is a scheduled event. You can plan for it. Bring a keto meal from home, eat it with the group. Explain what you’re doing, enjoy the social aspect of the meal. Stay keto. If you have to have a sweet, plan for that. You can do it. It just takes a bit of extra forethought.

(Rob) #29

If its sandwiches, consider taking meat and or cheese ones and discarding the bread? Also, just take a sliver of a dessert and walk away and eat it at your desk. I did this to begin with and got the taste but felt good about myself.

What I do is this

Cake, and a heart attack?
Cookie, and amputations?
Candy, and diabetes?

I always conclude that my health means more. Celebrate with a big chunk of double cream brie

(Victoria Mc Coy) #31

The biggest help is to me was to shut out sugar first. Just had my fist Christmas ever with ZERO SUGAR. Did not think it was possible, but I’m fighting a family history of diabetes and borderline A1C reading in November, so I leaned into sugar-free sweeteners, reduced carbs and high fat, knowing that I would cut the other carbs after New Years.
I’ve been on a keto diet since then and the sugar and carb cravings have been gone since week 2, and - at 60 years old - I have lost 11 pounds since then.
Keep hope alive, give yourself time to make the changes, and it CAN happen. Wishing you the best. :balloon:

I agree too. In the beginning I couldn’t even put stevia in my bulletproof coffee without it triggering cravings. Avoid ANYTHING sweet for a couple weeks and you’ll be golden.

(Keto in Katy) #33

Discipline is about what you want MOST vs what you want NOW.

(Liz ) #34

Maybe research behavioral modification techniques of overcoming addiction because that is what you are dealing with, sounds like. It’s not really about discipline and willpower if your addicted brain is making the decisions. And it’s not a moral failing if your addiction wins. But to succeed, you have to keep learning to deal with it until you can get past the point where your brain chemistry is working against you & over the hump to where it’s on your side. I’m a recovering carb addict, & it gets easier as the days pass. Wishing you well!

(Sue) #35

I know exactly how you feel and I was the same with alcohol. Sugar triggers responses larger than cocaine in the brain. It is truly an addiction. Tell yourself not today. Today you are going to be sober. Start counting days if you need to. Don’t go in to that lunch room. Is a free lunch worth it? Feign a headache or something, say you have to run to the drugstore for tylenol and buy a low carb lunch when you are out. Just stay at your work desk and post here every 5 mins updating us about your status. I agree 100% with @LizinLowell. It’s not your willpower. It’s a substance that has control over you and you accepting that.

(TJ Borden) #36

Mmmm, Panera. My evil ex. You know the one, you outwardly hate, but you’d still kind of like to hook up one more time.

(Rob) #37

Panera may be your ex… but I was the son Papa John never knew he had… the plaintive emails and discount offers say come home… but no, Dad… never! :triumph:

So, how’d it go yesterday?

(Jo) #39

How did you do… whether we are talking day 5 or a slip and back to day 1, don’t give up. Can’t wait to hear!!