Beginner needs help

(Ivy) #21

Is protein and carbs together best?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

No, that elevates insulin. What we recommend is eating under 20 g of carbohydrate per day, between 1.0 and 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of lean mass a day, and adding enough fat to satisfy your hunger.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #23

@IvyKCKO Check out the Bikman talk I linked here: Balancing Fat Intake with Muscle loss.

(Ivy) #24

I am currently listening to it

(Tim Cee) #25

Bikman is right.

(Ivy) #26

I apparently started keto with a growth hormone deficiency. Does this mean anything when played out on the keto diet?

Is there going to be more fat in my face on keto, as I didnt have much before?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

How do you know about the growth hormone deficiency? What were the blood test results before you started keto, and what are the results now that you’ve been eating keto for three weeks? That’s the only real way to be sure what’s going on.

As for fat, I find it left me in the reverse order of its arrival, so my face and legs got quite thin again, while my belly fat, as expected, is still showing. Everyone is different, however, so this is hard to predict. A lot of women have complained that their breast fat left before the fat deposits in other places was affected by the diet, places where they would really have appreciated getting thinner, lol!

(Ivy) #28

What test measures growth hormone deficiency?

That is the opposite for me in both those ways

(Jane) #29

Well, if you haven’t had a test to verify why do you think you have a deficiency?

(Ivy) #30

Someone here mentioned I hardly have fat on my face. Plus, I stated I had very little fat in my SAD diet. I agree with both and someone said those are factors. Im not sure what test would be for that?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

We don’t get fat from eating fat, that’s a myth; we get fat from eating too much carbohydrate. The extra serum glucose gets made into fatty acids and stored in our fat tissue. The resulting high insulin stimulated by eating all that carbohydrate keeps the fatty acids trapped there. (Think of a bear eating lots of berries in the fall, so as to get fat for hibernating during the winter.)

There are tests for levels of HGH, IGF-1, IGF-2, and insulin, and for many other hormones as well. If you want to know what your levels are, you will need to speak to your physician, or else find a laboratory willing to do the tests for you without a prescription. (There are such labs in parts of the U.S. where state law does not require a prescription for such tests.)

(Edith) #32

You said you are 5’6” and weigh about 135 pounds, if I’m recalling correctly. You are not fat at those numbers and not likely to have a fat face. Plus, it’s hard to really tell how someone looks from a small selfie. That’s hardly enough to go by in deciding you have growth hormone deficiency.

It is best to talk to your doctor. One thing to consider, blood triglycerides and LDL cholesterol frequently go up when one first starts a ketogenic diet. The advice often given on this forum is to wait about six months to have lipid panels done. At that point you should be a fat burning machine and those numbers will have most likely come down and stabilized.