Been there, done that, gonna do it again

(Syb (they/them)) #1

Hello everybody, I’m not new to keto but I have fallen out of it ages ago (prior to the pandemic) and struggled to get back but here I am again, and so here’s my story so far.

Initially started keto to aid w my epilepsy as well as hoping to lose weight. It helped immensely for both. I found myself going down from 100kg to around 80kg and feeling so much better before I (you guessed it) fell off the keto horse. Along with the carbs, being weaned off medication and a ■■■■ ton of stress, I was reintroduced to seizures again, depression and tipping the scale at 115kg. I’ve been back on my epilepsy meds for a while now and I’m relatively seizure free but missing how I felt during my keto days.

I’m gonna be 19 in a month, I’m trying to deal with entering adulthood, getting my first job, progressing into a career that I’ll find fulfilling, learning to drive (1 year seizure free baby), and living my life without hiding behind the mounds of fat I piled on. First week is the hardest. For anybody else who’s in a similar position and is trying to get back on the keto horse, I wish you the best of luck. We did it before, we can do it again.

(Jane) #2

You have come to the right place for support. Good luck this time around and just knowing eating keto works makes it easier to stick with it IMO.

(B Creighton) #3

I know someone else with seizures that began with an auto accident. She blamed her seizure medicine for most of her weight gain. Seems like maybe it was depakote? You can check if weight gain is a symptom of your seizure med. I don’t know what to advise you there, as I know many, if not all, states have a no driving window after a seizure event. Any way you cut it though, it seems like keto is the way to go for you to address both issues. I thought keto would be “hard,” but really found it not to be because I was trying to eat a lot of protein, which with the natural fats I was getting was satiating. I just typically did not feel hungry, and my meals were still quite good, if not better. I am still eating much the same way in a low carb style with some desserts after dinners, and plan to go keto again in a few weeks.

(Laurie) #4

Woo hoo! So many good reasons to get back on the horse, so much to look forward to!

I’m baaack too. Lost 10 pounds (4.5 kg) in October. We can do it.

(Robin) #5

For sure epilepsy medication can impact weight. My son was on one that had him almost skeletal and others that had him eating everything in sight and he obviously became very overweight.
So… you may be battling against the impact of medication on your hunger impulses. Because the affect is on appetite and hunger and mental cravings….
Keto diet can’t hurt, and certainly could help curb cravings by eliminating sugar.
It’s a hard road you are on, either way. I hope you find your healthy balance.
Best of luck.

(Syb (they/them)) #6

Luckily my epilepsy medication seems to be neutral regarding weight gain or loss (for me anyway) so I won’t switch it in that aspect. That being said, I was around 85kg before I started my antidepressants and now I’m 115kg but I reckon it’s not the actual pill causing the weight gain but rather it causes an increased appetite which ergo contributed to me inflating. I did consider switching my antidepressants but atm I’m too emotionally drained to start changing up meds after I just finally got a tiny bit of mental stability so my other option is to just work against the increased appetite thing and hope that keto helps with that too.

We have a no driving window over here in the UK as well which is 1 year and I’ve just reached 1 year seizure free (woohoo). I’m just waiting for my provisional and then I can start lessons finally. So with that in mind, I’m trying to keep the balance of medications as it is so I don’t have to restart the timer.

(Syb (they/them)) #7

That’s a great loss so far well done!! We got this! :))

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

If it’s any incentive, there is research to show that a well-formulated ketogenic diet can help prevent seizures. This is good news, because we need the protein, and the original therapeutic ketogenic diet was severely protein-deficient and caused damage to a number of kids.

feel your pain. been there, done that. til I accepted my reality I didn’t have a chance, once I knew me and what it took and committed all in thru enough is enough, yea I thrived and hold on for dear life to my eating plan, which thankfully I eat so well, makes it not hard :slight_smile:

wishing you the best way forward!