Beef Tallow

(Seth Overdeer) #1

So I made a bunch of beef tallow recently, and I’m not entirely sure what all I can cook with it. How do you guys use beef tallow? What are some of your favorite things to make with tallow?

(TJ Borden) #2

I use it in my frydaddy for deep frying.

Would it be weird to fry chicken skin to crispy brown deliciousness in BEEF fat? Cause it sounds delightful :smile:

(Jan) #4

Oh, and don’t throw out the leftover crunchy bits…sprinkle on a little salt, mmmmmmMmmmm!

(TJ Borden) #5

I have, it is delicious. I don’t think it’s as messed up as frying eggs in chicken fat. That seems a little sadistic.

(matt ) #6

Just use it to pan fry things. It’s a great fat.

If you have lots you can certainly use it to deep fry.

You can also make sauces and mayo from it.

Just use it and see what’s what.

(TJ Borden) #7

MAYO out of tallow… that’s genius. I never thought about that. Time to empty out a mason jar.

(matt ) #8

I have never made it just read about the process…you need to cut it with vegetable oil. Kenji uses canola(nope) but you could use avocado and tallow.

(Jacob Wagner) #9

I have some. I found that once it cooled there is some other liquid under the hardened tallow.

Do I need to separate that? I am concerned that it being there could make the tallow become rancid.

–Jacob

(Seth Overdeer) #10

I’m just guessing but I’d assume that’s water and you should probably get rid of it. I cooked 15 lbs of suet down to 6 quarts of tallow and it only cost me $18 from my local butcher. I used the wet method and all of the water evaporated out and I didn’t get any water in mine.

(Joe Schuyler) #11

Can the tallow be re-used after frying something in it?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #12

Paint steaks with heated tallow.

Gresh calls it Beef Luv.

(Ken) #13

A few comments on the previous posts.

Tallow gets fairly hard in the fridge. Mayo made from it would be much harder than Mayo made from oils. Since mayo has eggs in it, it has to go in the fridge, so make only enough for immediate use. You’d have to make it right before it started to harden, if too hot the eggs would cook.

You really have more control of oil based mayo because of all the flavorfull oils out there now available. I make tarragon vinegar oil mayo when I don’t have time for Bearnaise.

The stuff that separates out from the tallow at the bottom is really similar to Beef Drippings, like you’d use for gravy. I use the tallow drippings from the bottom of my hot air roaster, since the meat was seasoned before roasting it’s very flavorfull so can be used to season about anything, including veggies. Normal drippings from unseasoned tallow needs to be spiced up a little.

(Betsy) #14

Do you have a link to what you think is the best method for making the tallow? A butcher in my area gives the fat away for free! I only ordered 2 pounds this week.

(Ken) #15

Chop small, put it in a pot on medium low heat. Stir often. When done, let it cool a bit, then strain out the cracklins through a seive or cheesecloth.

(TJ Borden) #16

If you’re going to mention stuff like that, you really need to provide a recipe. :smile:

(matt ) #17

Sure you can reuse it. Just clean it best you can as needed. Remove any solids and run it through a filter and toss it in the fridge til next time. Orleave it out if you use it a lot.

(matt ) #18

The link I shared has tips for that. The mayo is not pure tallow. Its oil and tallow. You don’t need a lot to add flavor.

But again I have not made it. I just saw the recipe and trust the source.

(Sophie) #19

It makes a really nice and firm bar of cold processed soap, with a lovely lather.

(Ken) #20

Tallow also is the base for the best leather conditioner. The traditional English recipe is 50% tallow, 25% lard and 25% beeswax. Rub a tiny bit of cod liver oil on afterwards for a rich leather smell.

Tarragon mayo is one cup of oil (your choice), two Tbsp tarragon reduction. (Two Tbsp dried tarragon reduced from six Tbsp vinegar and two Tbsp white wine) With one egg and reduction in the bowl, dribble in the oil using a stick blender to create the emulsion.