Beef jerky marinade

(jr bob dobbs) #1

Need a beef jerky marinade that is not only keto friendly, but doesn’t include fake crap. I keep seeing recipes online, many use soy sauce. That is absolutely out of the question. I guess I could use coconut aminos… I have to see if I can find a Worcestershire Sauce that doesn’t include nonsense… I have to be careful about seasonings also.

Any suggestions?

(Robin) #2

I’m hoping @Janie will pipe in with hers. She makes it and all of her food pics drive me wild. (I may or may not lick the screen.)

(Jane) #3

Mine has soy sauce and wooster so probably not what he is looking for. I don’t worry about the small amounts personally but everyone is different. I just don’t like the added sugar in most commercial beef jerky - it is unneccesary and I don’t like the sweet taste.

People have gotten so addicted to sweet in everything! I went into a specialty shop that only sells beef jerky and most of them were “honey this” or “sweet that” and even the ones w/o honey or sweet in the name had sugar in them.

(Robin) #4

Thanks.
I buy mine from a very small local family biz in western Kansas and have it mailed. They offer spicy, teriyaki, and regular. Their regular has no added sugar or sweeteners. However, it is really pricey and I tend to binge. So I have gone without for months. I guess I will live without it for now. I have thought about making it myself with one of those machines, but once I’ve bought the meat, why not just eat it as per usual.

In my dream world, someone would deliver one small portion of ZC jerky to me every day…

(Jane) #5

I know they asked about jerky, but here is my sausage recipe and it’s clean keto. I don’t always stuff links - usually just vacuum seal meal-size portions and use it like ground beef. This has a bit of kick to it so if you don’t like spicy omit or cutback on the cayenne and red pepper flakes.

Homemade Italian Sausage

3 lbs pork shoulder
4 cloves garlic
1 oz (28 g) kosher salt, divided
2 Tbl whole fennel seeds, toasted
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp ground allspice berries

Step 1
Grind garlic with a pinch of salt in a mortar to make a paste (I found the garlic in a jar makes a nice paste – fresh garlic was very dry). Toast fennel seeds until brown. Add toasted fennel and black pepper to garlic. Bruise spices lightly with a pestle to release the flavors. Add pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, oregano, marjoram, coriander, mustard allspice and a splash of water. Stir to combine.

Step 2
Cut pork shoulder into cubes. Add the spice paste to the cubes. Mix thoroughly by hand. Add the remaining salt. Cover and refrigerate until flavors meld, 8 hours to overnight.

Step 3
Process the cold pork through a meat grinder in batches. Keep pork in refrigerator until ready to be ground. Ground pork that will not be stuffed into casings can be frozen.

Step 4
Push a casing onto the stuffing tube of your meat grinder. Feed the sausage until casing is filled up. Tie a knot at the end and pinch and twist into links, if desired.

Step 5
Place sausage links onto a wire rack set over a sheet pan. Refrigerate uncovered 24 hours. At this point if you want to separate the links you can cut them at the twists.

Step 6
Grill sausage links until browned and done all the way through, about 5 minutes per side

(Robin) #6

Oooh, thanks!

(Richard M) #7

I have made this a lot of times. People reslllike the flavor. Dehydrator Beef Jerky or oven.

Ingredients:

3-4 lb. Top/bottom round/sirloin roast- trim any fat seen. Slice thinly

2 cups Water

½ cup Apple cider vinegar

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, to taste.

½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (also to taste)

Cayenne pepper

1/3 cup Liquid Smoke

Directions:

Place all ingredients into a 1 gallon zip-lock freezer bag . Seal and mix well so that all beef is thoroughly coated. Bleed all air from bag and re-seal.

Place bag into bowl (in case of leaks) and place in refrigerator from 4-12 hours. And possibly take a fork and put holes in each one.

After removing beef from bag, pat dry and arrange on dehydrator trays.

Dry the meat for 8-12 hours and enjoy.

Or

I put mine in oven 175 for 4 hours. I also put it in at 210 fir 2 hours. Until you think it is done.