Beating the Keto Constipation

I think this counts as a personal victory. Im 1 month into keto and while my weight loss hasnt changed since the first week, Im starting to feel normal again. I have IBS and if I dont take enough fiber I get lethargic along with abdominal pain. Since starting keto of course, my fiber intake has gone down but Im trying to use chia seeds as my new fiber on keto!

Ive been making this shake now for a bit and its really been helping. TMI Warning, its really nice to be able to poop once a day again. :rofl:

Its higher on the carbs side than what id like, but I can play around with it and make a chocolate version too.

(matt ) #2

If you are gonna have carbs then blueberries are a great way to have them. I would not sweat that much…just track as needed.

Glad this helps you stay “normal” :slight_smile:

(Alan Williamson) #3

I use baby carrots. It works.

(Omar) #4

during my keto take off and after about the 6th week I ran into severe constipation and I thought it will not go away.

it lasted only a week.

I do not know what went right to make it go away.

magnesium is a main suspect.

I dont currently take any magnesium supplements. Just a multivitamin every day plus a bottle of Ketoaid.

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

Most ketoaid recipes include some magnesium. Are you using commercial one or one like Brenda’s

Either way you would be supplementing some of it. Some need more than others, I have colon cancer in my family, so I can not be not :poop:. I use a LOT of magnesium most of the time.

Im following Brenda’s recipe with pink salt instead of Lite Salt

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

So you are using magnesium citrate. But you are not getting the potassium. Those all need to be in balance.
I find the liquid mag. citrate to be a good before bed drink. I do about 2 oz., really helps. I did just get powdered magnesium citrate powder, I add i to 8 oz. of water and a dash of lemon juice and it is not bad at all.

For potassium, you get a good amount in most of the green veggies. Avocados are loaded with it. The pink salt has some as well. so you should be ok that way.

Ive gone back and forth on the Salt Lite so much on this site. A lot of people say its dangerous to consume that much extra potassium.

(Doug) #10

If there actually is a deficiency, that is one thing. If not, then yes, it can be bad.

Almost all our Potassium is inside our cells, as opposed to being outside, or in our bloodstream. The amount in our blood is small and critical - too high or low can be really, really bad, and we’re set up to maintain it closely. Our kidneys are the main way we excrete Potassium, and there is also a part of the kidneys designed to reabsorb it if we need more or are not consuming much. I see Potassium as different from the other electrolytes - gotta be more careful with it.

It’s also going to vary with the individual. I had one blood test where my potassium level was just above the high end of normal, and prior tests had been in the upper portion of the normal range. My doctor said to watch this, not to take any supplements, and go easy on the bananas, orange juice, etc. - stuff with a lot of potassium in it.

I take a multivitamin everyday and I eat a decent amount of vegetables. Other than the first week or two of keto, i have had no cramping issues or other issues that could be attributed to electrolytes. For now Im happy with my pink salt but I do have the salt lite on hand if I need some extra potassium.