Barely in ketosis even at 6% carbs - super frustrating

newbies
ketones

(Tiffany Jonas) #1

Hi all,

I’ve been eating a ketogenic diet since March when I first read Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore. (Prior to that time I had been eating a low-carb diet for more than a year, but not the ultra low-carb levels as in the ketogenic diet. I’m a healthy, fit 43-year-old female who is lean, but have always carried extra weight around my middle, even when I was literally at an American size 0 - which can stick out pretty badly on a lean body type - and when I started the ketogenic diet I was 5-7 pounds above my ideal body weight.)

I followed all Jimmy’s and others’ recommendations, including even buying and taking Cinsulin and MCT oil, intermittent fasting, buying the blood testing meter, testing my blood first thing in the morning while fasting, etc. I already sleep well and thankfully have a fairly low-stress job so no problems there.

Yet I could not seem to get into ketosis or lose weight for anything. My blood glucose level was also consistently higher than it was before I started the ketogenic diet. I kept dropping my carb and protein levels, dropping it more, dropping it still more, etc. Now I’m down to 18.5 carbs (total carbs, not net carbs), my protein is at the recommended amount - 1 gram per pound of lean body weight - and I have been eating what to me seems like a TON of fat. Today I was at 6% carbs, 30% protein, and 64% fat. My daily calories are way above what it recommended by various health websites (including keto websites) for my weight.

Finally after all this trying, I’m at 0.5 ketones/blood level, but I cannot seem to get above that. ONE week I managed to get an 0.8 reading but then it fell right back down to 0.5 even though I did nothing different in terms of diet or exercise, and there it has stayed. It is extremely frustrating. I don’t know how I can bring my carbs any lower. I already had to even cut out greens like spinach to get to the level I’m at now, so I’m eating no fruit and no vegetables and I know that’s not a healthy long-term option.

I take prebiotics and probiotics. I eat organic, whole foods. I eat 100% pastured butter, 100% pastured eggs, full-fat cheese, etc. I just ordered a 100% pastured meat share from a local farm so I can eat that too, as it’s nearly impossible to find 100% pastured meat in grocery stores where I live. I have not been drinking alcohol (or milk) at all. I had to travel for business for three days and did everything I could to eat keto - and managed to do it even with airport food as the only option at times - including literally eating only little balls of butter for breakfast when that was literally the only item on the breakfast buffet table that wasn’t full of carbs. THAT was not fun.

The two things I will say is that for eating so many more calories than I am apparently supposed to, at least I have not GAINED any weight. (Which is pretty amazing.) And there have been times where I’ve been able to skip a meal without feeling hungry, though this is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Still, this 0.5 ketone level (and the higher blood glucose too - what in the world is with THAT while I’m eating 6% carbs) is extremely frustrating. I mean, what else does a girl have to do to get into actual levels of nutritional ketosis instead of skimming along the very bottom of the minimum? And when will I be able to eat spinach and arugula again??

(John) #2

Is there a reason you are eating so high above your calorie level?

Most here don’t track calories too much, but everyone is different, if your metabolism is messed up pretty bad or you have some hunger signaling issues this could cause a lot of problems.

I personally would do 1 or both of the following:

Quit stressing, quit testing and relax, stress causes all kinds of bad juju that can certainly cause these issues.
If you are overeating because you feel hungry, I would try an extended fast, let your body get used to how being hungry feels.

Above all KCKO

(Tiffany Jonas) #3

Hi John,

Thank you for your recommendations! Much appreciated. I certainly don’t want bad juju so I will try to stop stressing! (To answer your question, I’m eating above my calorie level because it’s the only way to get my fat levels high enough to try to enter ketosis - my carb and protein levels are as low as I can get them.)

Tiffany

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

According to Dr. Phinny, you are at nutritional ketosis levels. Phinny supposedly stays around 0.4 ( I think Richard mentioned he does as well.) I don’t think you have given this enough time. you’re body is probably still in healing mode. But not gaining is a good sign.

But if I were tweaking what you told us you are doing, I’d up the fat and lower the protein. I’d do 75% fats carbs 5% and protein 20%. Try to get that extra fat from the protein source, prime cuts, yogurt, etc.

As for the sugar levels I was just reading a podcast that addressed the issue of your body has stored sugar in its fat. https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/podcast/e31/ He is talking about his fasts, (it’s Jimmy Moore) on someone else’s podcast. He was deep into fasting and saw his BS number go up so he contacted Dr. Fung about it. You might find that podcast helpful.

I have been using the 1 gram per kg lean body mass target. You state that you eat 1 gram per pound of lean body mass, this translates to 2.2 grams per kg lean body mass. That’s a significant difference. In other words, to be in the 1 gram per kg lean body mass range, it is equivalent to 0.5 grams per pound of lean body weight.

(Tiffany Jonas) #6

Collaroygal, thank you so much! Your post was super helpful to me. I hope (and will request) that I’ll get some fattier cuts of meat with the new meat share, which will definitely help me get the fat ratio higher and the protein ratio lower. And that podcast gives me hope! What a cool thing - I never considered a higher glucose reading could actually be a good thing happening.

Tiffany

(Tiffany Jonas) #7

Fiorella - yikes! That could totally be the problem. Thank you!!

Tiffany

hey, no problem. Even NASA engineers have issues with converting from imperial to metric :wink:

(James storie) #9

Yep, I believe @Fiorella has got you pegged! Too much protein. Also, I noticed that you said you usually get hungry in between meals. This is a sign of not enough fat. Don’t worry about the calories, keep your carbs and protein where they need to be and eat fat until you feel FULL! If you get hungry shortly after eating, you didn’t eat enough fat. Fat is now your fuel.

(Michelle) #10

Hi - I agree with all the comments here. I would add that more fat does not equal ketosis. It’s really more about very low carb. Fat just fills you up so you can chew the fat to stay satiated between meals. Also, are you on medications or supplements ? That may have an effect as well.

(Tiffany Jonas) #11

Hi James,

Thank you! You confirmed my understanding that it’s better to eat more fat, even if it takes me higher than my recommended calorie level. I was feeling a little concerned about that and you’ve set my mind at ease. Much appreciated!

Tiffany

(Tiffany Jonas) #12

Hi Michelle,

Thank you so much for your response! I’m a little confused because Keto Clarity is very strong on the message that you need to eat a LOT Of extra fat to get your body used to burning fat instead of sugar, but maybe that’s just for people trying to get into ketosis? Maybe after you’re comfortably in it, as long as you still eat at very low carb levels, it’s totally fine if you’re not eating a ton of fat. (It would seem to make sense especially for the veteran ketonians who move on to serious, multi-day fasting. Obviously they’re not eating much fat during a long fast!)

Tiffany

(Michelle) #13

Yes, what I should have said was that fat is energy in Keto WOE. So, in the beginning I ate a lot of fat while my body was switching from glucose to ketones. But, once you get fat adapted, you can pull back on dietary fat and use your own body fat for fuel.

Very low carb is what it takes to get you to switch fuel sources. Hope you are hanging in!!

(Tiffany Jonas) #14

Ah, that totally makes sense! (And yes, I am definitely hanging in - taking everyone’s advice, lowering my protein / adjusting all three macros but not stressing, etc. This forum is great!)

Tiffany

(Kylie) #15

30% protein may be to much…(Gluconeogenisis) 70% fat is the least in my opinion to be in ketosis.

(Kylie) #16

ie- sorry… i mean your diet needs to be 70% of fat or more- that is what i believe you need to get into ketosis :smile:

(John) #17

You don’t need any fat to get into ketosis, they have nothing to do with one another. Not eating carbs and not going totally overboard on protein is all you need, the fat is just there to keep you from being hungry.

(James storie) #18

That being said, the more fat you eat, the fuller you will feel, the happier you (or at least me) will be, the longer you can go before your next meal! KCKO!

(Tiffany Jonas) #19

I don’t know - based on what I read in Keto Clarity (and isn’t the author one of the pioneers most instrumental in making the ketogenic diet known to the world?), I’m with Kylie. From what Jimmy Moore wrote, it does seem like you need fat - and a lot of it - to get into ketosis. Maybe not to stay in ketosis, but to get into it.

Still, it’s apparent I have been eating too much protein, and I have already been finding ways to cut it down in addition to my carbs, so I’m on board with your comment too!

(John) #20

Ketosis happens any time your carbs are restricted for a period of time, which happens to most people at night regardless of diet. There may be something about eating more fat to get fat adapted faster but I haven’t seen it and it seems unlikely, not sure why your body would care when you ate the fat.

Whatever works!