Barely in ketosis even at 6% carbs - super frustrating

newbies
ketones

(James storie) #21

The whole point of eating lots of fat in the begining is to provide your body the energy it needs! Ketosis is achieved by the restriction of carbohydrates, but you are used to burning sugar. If you don’t eat a lot of fat you run the risk of going into starvation mode. Your body will then hold on to every speck of fat for survival! By eating lots of fat you provide an easy way for your body to make the switch with as little trouble as possible. With an abundance of energy (fat) to burn, your metabolism will speed up! Once you are fully fat adapted, your body will not skip a beat from burning fat you eat to fat on your body. This is the beauty of the ketogenic diet!

(Tiffany Jonas) #22

Hi James,

Yes! That’s exactly it. Jimmy Moore also says that eating fat at first will
more quickly get your body used to burning fat instead of sugar.

Tiffany

(Tiffany Jonas) #23

A quick THANK YOU to John (jmbundy), collaroygal, Fiorella, James (jamestorie), Michelle (MKChitown), and Kylie for your responses to my post back in mid-May! I took your advice:

• At John’s advice, I stopped stressing about it (didn’t test again for nearly a month)

• At Collaroyal’s advice, I got my macros down to 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fats

• At Fiorella’s and Kylie’s advice, I got my protein levels much further down

• At James’ advice, I began eating more fat

I am happy to say that when I tested yesterday morning, I was at 1.3 ketones and 88 fasting blood glucose. Huzzah! My previous highest reading, which had only happened once, was 0.8, so this was a banner moment.

The only issue I’m having now is that during the past 2-3 weeks I have been gaining both weight and inches, which is odd - I am now having trouble fitting into my clothes. But remembering John’s advice, I’m not going to stress over it. I think my weight and girth may moderate on its own, what with me still being in the initial transition period. I also started eating a few new low-carb, low-protein things, and just in case I will eliminate each of these in turn to see if they could be causing this (who knows, maybe I have an intolerance to them). In any case, I am going to keto on.

Thank you again to each of you for helping me out! I was blown away by the 1.3 reading - such a great surprise.

Tiffany

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

Tiffany, you should hit your targets for protein and carbs, and eat enough fats to feel satiety.
Also this blog might help you out too. It sure helped me get my head on straight.

It is 3 parts, read’em all.

(Tiffany Jonas) #25

Collaroygal, this is a great blog post! Thank you. It gives me a better sense of where I am - much less confusing. Super helpful!

Dang, that is a fantastic post. Helps clear up a lot for me.

(Tiffany Jonas) #28

Thank you, CanKeto!

Tiffany