Barbeque Sauce

(Megan) #1

I made this sauce last week to put over meatballs and it was a big hit at my book club! I could drink this it was so yummy! The meatballs were precooked and I put it all in my slow cooker for a few hours. It’s a little spicy but you can adjust to your preference.

3 teaspoon bacon grease (or fat rendered from 2 pieces of bacon)
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
6 oz can of tomato paste
12 oz can Diet Dr Pepper (or coke zero, whatever)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions

Finely chop onions and sauté in the bacon fat at medium-low heat for 20 minutes. This should caramelize of the onions to give your BBQ sauce some extra distinct flavor as well as bit more sweetness.
Add grated or chopped garlic and cook for 3 more minutes
Pour in Diet Dr Pepper to deglaze the pan and add remaining ingredients and whisk well.
Cook on low heat for at least 30 minutes
Use your immersion blender to blend everything together
This should give you about 2 cups of BBQ sauce, which should be good in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks.

Keto appetizer suggestions please
(eat more) #2

that’s a lot of soda! :joy::joy::joy:

i kid, i kid…but i’m sure someone will use try and use 12 cans and not a 12 oz can

thanks for the recipe!

(Megan) #3

Oops! Yes, it should be 12 ounce can!

(Mike W.) #4

How did it turn out? I’m DYING to find a good sweet baby rays replacement…I know. But I need to try!

(Megan) #5

It was so so good! I’m not a big fan of bbq sauce usually because I don’t like sweet foods but I loved this sauce! I would’ve drank it if I could. I never liked Sweet Baby Rays so I can’t say that it’s like that. If you like sweeter sauces, I would suggest to add a sweetener but this one is more tangy and spicy. Good luck!

(Sierra) #6

That sounds pretty awesome. Ill have to try it sometime!