Barbecue sauce

We’re barbecuing this weekend (on a new pellet grill!), so I started looking around for a sauce. This is a combination of various recipes and adjustments I made as I went along. Some of the measurements were kind of eyeballed, so you might need to tweak to your own tastes (especially for the ratio of sweet/sour/spicy).

2 6-oz cans tomato paste
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup sugar-equivalent sweetener (I used a combination of erythritol and sucralose)
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon liquid smoke
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp powdered mustard
1-1/2 cups water

Combine everything in a saucepan and whisk together. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.

(James storie) #2

I’m going to try this, thanks!

Going to the shop tomorrow and getting everything I need to make this! Thank you for sharing!

(Jennifer) #4

Thanks for the base! I will try this…

(Jennifer) #5

Ok, made it as above except I cut the sweetener by half and the cayenne by half. And I added 2 tbsp of molasses. Mine has 4 net carbs per and it is worth it for the flavor it adds.

It is still a little bit more spicy than I like, my current cayenne is freaken hot.

Waiting for my husband to get out of bed to try it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

Nice base, I was thinking of pulling something like this together. I am not a sweet BBQ sauce person, so cutting the sweetener, and upping the heat a tad, & adding a touch more vinegar should do it for me.

Happy Memorial Day, stay safe and have tons of fun.

Very happy with how the sauce turned out, particularly with the caramelized crust it formed.