Baconmergency!

(Mike W.) #6

Tried that route last week. It was so chewy and not good. Oh well. Time to stock up on the good stuff. What are yous guys paying for a lb of bacon?

$18 per lb. from local farmer, free range pigs.

(Guardian of the bacon) #8

I just recently bought a whole pig from a local farmer.

(Guardian of the bacon) #9

Bacon is sliced nice and thick, 9 slices to the #

Nice! I should get a freezer and do that!

How many pounds bacon do you get in whole pig?

(Guardian of the bacon) #11

I’m not sure But quite a bit, and smoked hams and pork chops and pork shoulder, and pork steak, and roasts. We have an avg size upright and it was stuffed full. We have another freezer full of a side of grass fed beef, and another full of butter, cheese, frozen veggies etc.

@jfricke, Wow…got back up generators in case power goes out? That’s a lot of inventory!

(Guardian of the bacon) #13

Oh yea…we live in the boonies…gotta be prepared.

(Genevieve Biggs) #14

I got about 40lbs with my half hog, and we got bacon from the whole hog even though we only got half a hog. But it was an extra big hog. That was 40lbs from a 400lb pig–hanging weight.

Nice!

(Patty W) #16

You know you’re keto when…you have a pork freezer, a beef freezer, & a butter freezer. :yum:

(Dustin Cade) #17

We bought a used freezer for our garage, it’s full of bacon, butter, frozen burgers the boys can make for snacks, frozen veggies… I get our bacon on sale from fresh thyme, 99 cents a lb… it’s not free range uncurred but it works…

(Kathy L) #18

Never had uncured bacon - does it taste the same? Benefits?

I don’t know how but we too ran out of bacon this afternoon :scream:
I don’t know how that possibly happened as I usually have a good 10+lbs stored somewhere. Must have been the multiple times we cooked lb after lb of bacon yesterday.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #20

Taste: Yes the taste is the same to me. Most “uncured” bacon is cured. If it’s truly uncured it will likely be brown or gray and taste different. The usual “uncured” is injected with a solution from natural sources, frequently celery, sometimes sea salt with high nitrates. Some brands of uncured bacon have higher nitrate levels than regular bacon.
Benefits: depends, you’ll need to research and decide for yourself. I don’t worry about nitrates. Here are a few conversations

(Kathy L) #21

LOL - was searching for the difference between cured & uncured bacon, and landed on a website called “Health Line” - this is the first sentence on the page - in large type:

"Bacon. You know it’s not good for you, but there it is, calling to you on the restaurant menu…"
The “SAD” diet propaganda is ALL OVER THE PLACE! Truly sad!

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #22

:joy::joy::joy: too true, and it’s overwhelming wading through opinions based on junk science. If I get overwhelmed I say, well I’m just going to eat a bacon salad because I’m feeling great and I truly am thinking about bacon at least 1/2 the time…

@MiKetoAF, You need to get yourself one of these!!

(Bart) #24

(Guardian of the bacon) #25