Bacon Gingersnaps

(Guardian of the bacon) #1

Calling @Fiorella or any other available recipe gurus. I ran across the following recipe. Any hopes of converting it to keto?
Bacon Fat Gingersnaps
¾ cup/150 grams rendered bacon fat (from cooking 1 1/2 to 2 pounds bacon), chilled
1 cup/200 grams white sugar, plus extra for rolling
¼ cup/85 grams molasses or cane syrup
1 egg
2 cups/250 grams all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons/8 grams kosher salt
2 teaspoons/10 grams baking soda
2 teaspoons/10 grams ground ginger
½ teaspoon/3 grams ground cloves
½ teaspoon/3 grams ground cinnamon
Nutritional Information
PREPARATION
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick liners.
In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine all ingredients. Pulse until a smooth, stiff dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 1 week.
Put a thick layer of granulated sugar into a shallow bowl. Use your hands to break off a 1-tablespoon lump of dough and roll into a ball between your palms. Drop into the sugar, roll to coat and place on prepared pans. Repeat with remaining dough, placing dough balls 2 inches apart; they will spread out as they cook.
Bake until flat and dark brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a rack to finish cooling. Repeat with remaining dough. Store cookies in an airtight container.
Have you cooked this? Mark as Cooked
COOKING NOTES
Add photo
Share your notes with other cooks or leave a private note.
Who can see this note? Everyone Only You Cancel Add Note
All48
Most Helpful21
Private Notes0

Canaan 1 year ago
Maybe step 1 shouldn’t be to heat the oven, if you have to chill the dough for 2 hours.
Reply 78This is helpful

Lynda Chitwood 1 year ago
These are just stupid good!! I was a bit short on bacon fat, so I evened it out with butter (just so no Vegan would ever touch them, haha).
I added a bit more ginger, and next time will do even more.
I saw someone else’s note about using cardamom so I will be doing that too.
Just a deliciously different cookie!!

BTW…to all the other cooks who take the time to share their notes - THANK YOU!! They are all helpful.
Reply 27This is helpful

Baba 1 year ago
I like my gingersnaps spicy. While the cookies were tasty, I thought it could do with more spices. The next time I plan to double amount of spices and add finely grated ginger.
Reply 22This is helpful

Sailing Studio 1 year ago
Made two batches, the first following the recipe, and the second, replacing about half the bacon fat with butter, and adding about a tablespoon of finely diced fresh ginger. Prefer the second batch: the first was amazing, but a little overwhelmed by bacon, and had a slight fatty aftertaste (described by another reviewer). The second had a cleaner, fresher taste, a bit more ginger zing.

(Tom) #2

Maybe if carbquik was used in place of the flour, but you’re avoiding gluten as well, that’s not an option.

(Richard Morris) #3

I would try replacing all sugar with erythritol and the flour with a mix of coconut flour and almond meal

The problem I see here it that this cookie recipe is a melting kind of cookie, that ends up crisp at the end. Hard to achieve that with keto type cookies, for lack of sugar as the binder/crisper.

I’d use a very high fat shortbread cookie recipe like this one:

Instead of 1cup butter, I would use your bacon grease.

Instead of vanilla, I would use the spices listed in your recipe above, in same quantity.

Follow the steps in the shortbread cookie recipe, where you roll into log, chill dough and then cut off cookie slices. Then, I’d follow the similar steps for sugar coating the cookie before baking, except I’d put Truvia in a plate instead, and gently press the one side of cookie in Truvia, and then bake Truvia side up.

Hope this helps.

(Carol E. ) #5

This post came up in a forum search for “bacon fat cookies” :grinning: Did anyone every try this?

I stumbled across a similar SAD recipe this morning that I may try to convert.