Bacon fat spray?

Today I wanted to spray some bacon fat, There is not sure thing is there?

(Laurie) #2

I doubt it, because bacon fat is solid at room temperature. There might be some process that makes it liquid though …

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Bacon spray is what happens when I cook it on the stove top without a cover.

As @islandlight mentioned, bacon fat is solid at room temp, so it wouldn’t work as a spray on its own, unless you heated up the spray every time.

I suppose in theory you could combine it with something else in order to keep it liquid at room temp, but I don’t know what would do the trick and you wouldn’t have pure bacon fat at that point anyway. But, if you could, you could probably put it in one of those regular refillable oil spray cannisters.

For the heated option though, looks like there are Electric Butter Sprayer options on the market, that are designed/marketed for putting in butter and it does heat that up and work as a sprayer. The melting point of bacon is pretty similar so one of those would probably work, just don’t know how well myself since that’s not exactly what they are designed for.

(David Cooke) #5

I have seen lard spray. Don’t know what would be in it…

no clue. why did you want to spray? wouldn’t just a tad of melted bacon fat slathered over whatever you wanted bacon fat’d be the same?

I see canola spray, olive oil spray etc but I think bacon fat would go solid ya know in that the amt of chemical additives to keep it in spray form might not be available? No idea on it LOL

I might just have to google that :slight_smile:

a tad of bacon fat in a spray bottle ya buy and spray yourself?

(Jane) #7

Unless you do a really good filtering on the bacon fat… even though you heat it up to liquid I would think the spray nozzle would clog.

My 2 cents

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

The whole point of putting fats in a spray can is to make the manufacturer very wealthy by foisting yet another pointless product on the public (see deodorant, laxatives, and, God help us, spray cheese). My mother, may she rest in peace, used spray oil when cooking, presumably because it was too difficult to evenly spread the cooking fat over the pan with a spoon. In the old days, she kept a jar of bacon grease by the side of the stove and simply ladled it into the pan, letting it do its thing.

I wouldn’t go that far. I have a refillable can for turning my bulk olive oil into a spray by pumping it full of air and such. I don’t use it that often, but it certainly has its uses where it becomes convenient or the best way to evenly spread some olive oil on something without drenching it.

(Laurie) #10

Apply grease/oil to pan. With a paper towel, wipe off as much as you need to. Works for me.

Also … I never knew what parchment paper was for, but I tried it recently when a recipe said to use it. It’s great for non-sticking! Glass is also better than metal for non-sticking.

Not always just for non-stick purposes, can also be for spreading evenly on meats and such. Sure though, but just because other methods exist doesn’t mean there aren’t reasons for using, well, other methods. (Like, for instance, if you’d rather not waste all that oil and paper towels, or just like the added convenience of the spray and time savings it provides, especially when working with already hot surfaces).

For whatever reason someone happens to want a bacon fat spray though, the real question is: does it exist or can it happen? So far, it seems like it doesn’t exist (which is actually kinda surprising considering how many bacon products have come up the last few years), and it’s questionable how well it could be made to work with other methods.

That said… there is apparently a Duck Fat spray? (https://duckfatspray.com/product/gourmet-duck-fat-cooking-oil-spray/) Seems really odd there isn’t a bacon grease spray now

(Stickin' with mammoth) #12

Not sitting next to you at KetoCon.

Uh, @HeleneS can you please come back and tell us WHY you’d want a bacon spray? This truly mystifies me!

Oh sure Annoula I can tell you. Bacon fat and butter are my go to fats. I use them over oils when I can. I was doing chicken drumsticks and frozen frenched green beans in the airfryer. Spraying the beans takes a second and is not very messy so it would have been very convenient. But I did melt some fat and stirred the beans into that fat before throwing them in airfryer. I do not worry about the amount of fats personally but the airfryer does a better job with minimum fat. I like to cook the beans till they are nice and crispy. Minor inconvenience I suppose. I am intrigued by that spray duckfat.

(Joey) #15

@HeleneS Interesting request! The closest I could find…

1. Not fit for human consumption:

2. You’ll smell like bacon, but I don’t think that was your goal :wink:

Happy hunting!

I’m sorry! Just this morning I got told that the following reply I’d written and sent on Saturday (?!) was undelivered! But better late than never?

“Okay, this makes sense! And I apologize for doubting it could make sense. But I admit I come from a country where we not only regularly fry in our kitchens (which I understand people often don’t do in the States?), we produce olive oil, and to the best of my knowledge, no such thing as an “air fryer” even exists. So for us, there’s always a hot pan of some sort into which one could so easily melt even a tiny amount of one’s preferred fat. I’m guessing the solution you came up with worked the best, even if it requires dirtying an extra bowl!”