Back on the Keto wagon again - Now with Hypothyroidism - UK

Sex: F
Current weight: 151.45kg
First Goal weight: 125.00kg (for dental work)
Goal Weight: ??? - Get to a weight where I feel good and can walk around a bit more

Keto Plan: Eat clean, intermittent fasting, light exercise

Went keto for about 8 months a year ago and the results were amazing. I didn’t really have much problem with the ‘keto flu’ and had so many suppliments for things that the only real issue I had was missing things like fruit (I’ve always loved fruit but it didn’t love me back lol).

Anyway jumped of the wagon before having some surgery as the pre-op check up with the nurse lead to the expected “Okay…first off…stop this crazy mad diet you’re on…and stop taking your suppliments…”…yeah… so went carefully back to the ‘food pyramid’, dumped my pills and thankfully the surgery went ahead before I started to feel to awful (I did feel pretty ill though by the time I went in. Just like before I went keto I was puffy, grumpy and felt like death warmed up most days)

Fast foward to now (6 months since my op) and I’ve packed on weight again, feel terrible and have to lose about 26-27kg to be able to have some dental work done with sedation. I’ve also been now diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and a private blood test has shown I have Hashimoto’s. I’ve probably had this for about a decade which would go to explain why I was feeling so ill and why my weight just exploded about ten years ago.

I’ve been back on track for 48 hours and so far aside from being a bit crampy (gotta hit those suppliments!) it’s going well. I learnt the last time not to take a hot bath at this stage (for some reason it sent my body crazy), keep waddling around to a low but regular pace and to avoid looking at anything that might have an orange in it lol

I got the macros wrong the last time and lost about 5st in 7 months, but to be honest it didn’t make me feel ill. The only thing that was a draw back was the loose skin but that isn’t something to bothers me tbh.

I’m disabled due to a back injury so ‘leg day’ isn’t really a thing anymore, but I follow the ‘wheel chair routine’ from the NHS, lift weights (while seated), use a ‘tension band’ for my legs daily and arms, do stretches and with some help ‘wall push ups’ (the steeper the angle the better).

Sorry if that was a bit long folks, just happy to be back on keto and heading in the right direction again. Was the ‘skinny kid’ back in the day, I’d not go back to it (all ribs and spine bumps) and with some effort I going to turn some of this bulk into muscle (at least on the arms lol). Never give up!

(Polly) #2

Well done on getting back on the wagon.

How frustrating to have stepped off because of pre-op medical advice.

I hope you have good success with shedding some more pounds. Keep posting for encouragement.

(Susan) #3

Welcome to the forum, @Chonk

We will all be here to cheer you on getting back on the Keto train and back to a healthy, happier you! =).

Thanks for all the greetings and support, went through the ‘dark night of the soul’ last night (I don’t get bad ‘keto flu’ but when my body runs out of sugar reserves on day two/three I have a rough day/night). Feeling a lot better already, water weight it coming off fast, cravings aren’t to bad this time round and did a bit upper body work today. Also found out my shake powder (kiss my Keto) make a nice chocolate mousse with some coconut oil a dab or two of double cream. Once I’m rolling again I’ll cut out the dairy, swap it out for a small amount of coconut milk :slight_smile: