Back on Keto

(David Russell) #1

Started back on Keto today. I fell off the horse about 4 months ago after being keto for a year and a half.

I’m so disappointed in myself, but i am going to get back on track.

4 months is not a long time in the grand scheme of things. Congrats for finding your horse and getting back on!

(Renee Slaughter) #3

Ok. I too have been keto for about 8 months this time around. My employer keeps sugar snacks in her cabinet for her consumers. That’s all it took. It started with a snack at night and decended into a summer binge and 14 lb weight gain. I was also having some emotional issues that I wasn’t addressing. So whoopsie Daisy! So back to keto this last week. I went from 172 to 187 last weigh in. My blood sugars are not controlled. And all that goes with falling down. However, I’ve addresses my issues and am now back on track. What I learned: take my own snacks to work. Do your emotional inside work. Don’t let it fester. Eat more fat. At least for me. I noticed when I was working I wasn’t eating enough fat. And failure is an opportunity for growth. Figuring out what and why and putting a plan in place to address those reasons why I fell of the horse. So Cheers :yum::yum:

I was so doggone determined to make the Keto way a permanent way of life! …And then bam! I don’t why this pattern exists in my life, but when something stressful happens, I fall off the Keto wagon. Not like a minor falling off, but rather a “moving at 90 mph, hit a bump, fly in the air-crash to the ground” falling off the wagon.
When I first joined the forum, our house had burnt down in 2016, and for health reasons, I HAD to do something. Whole 30 first, then Keto in 2017. I did pretty well. Gradually, I felt my health really improving. BP was good, weight loss was okay, but how I felt overall was fantastic. About 3 weeks ago, my brother passed away - quite unexpectedly. Though I was able to visit with him for a few hours before his surgery, he never regained consciousness, and died early the next day. Carbs provide absolutely no kind of comfort to me- but I was something of a zombie after that- and perhaps just did not pay much attention to what I was eating. But, it was the same cycle when both of our parents died a few years earlier. I’m just having a lot of trouble re-focusing, trying to make sense of things, and adjust to that “new normal”, knowing my entire immediate family is now gone.
I know that it mostly equates to emotional eating. Some of it though might be attributable to being so emotionally exhausted, that I just don’t feel like prepping healthy food. IDK. I guess I’looking for an instant solution to snapping out of this emotional pit, and regaining my leto-footing. I’m open to suggestions. I did a 24 hour fast, to see if that might help. It did not. Maybe 48 hours next. ? IDK.
Anyone that has experience with this sort of thing…I’d love to hear from you. Thanks, in advance.

(Nicole Silvia) #5

It’s ok. You’re human :slight_smile:

Thank you, I truly appreciate that. And, I know it’s true. Its just that I get so frustrated with myself and my inability to stay in control of the dietary choices, when faced with the emotional traumas that follow me around. I know everyone has to deal with these things in life, but damn it. Maybe I’ve just reached my wit’s end. I mean, seriously, how much can a person endure? That;s the emotional portion. Then there’s the physical portion. The stress (and emotional turmoil) produces cortisol. I know what cortisol does. I’ve experienced it a few too many times. Wondering now if its effects are even reversible, after the repeats. The inadvertent fasting, then binging on who knows what. I feel as though part of me has fallen into a miserable, half-asleep state for a long portion of the day, whilst trying to accomplish tasks, and work. My brain is foggy, and its hard to think straight.
Im sorry if I’m ranting a bit. Just too much to take in right now. I’m going to put forth a concerted effort to eat clean keto for the next few days, and hope the brain fog disappears so I might regain the control I once had.