bullet-proof-coffee

(Full Metal KETO AF) #27

Hello darkness my old friend,
I’ve come to drink you once again.

Embrace the darkness! :coffee:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #28

:sleepy: That was beautiful.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #29

吃苦,eat bitter, is a common phrase in Chinese. Basically it means the ability to endure hardship. It is a great virtue.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #30

@Ruina Have you had your bitter melon today? :joy::joy: I never could tolerate it, tastes like aspirin to me! :woozy_face::nauseated_face::cowboy_hat_face:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #31

I like it… in moderation. With soy sauce. And other things with it. Meat is a good balance. But on its own? Yikes.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #32

@Ruina I’ve tried it mostly with pork in garlic black bean sauce. It helps a little but I can’t say I like it. Some of the people I cooked Chinese food with seemed to like it just fine. :woozy_face::joy::joy::joy: :cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #33

I’m late to this discussion. But for what it’s worth I don’t do “BPC” simply because I don’t particularly want to overload fat at the beginning of the day and spend the rest of the day trying to catch up protein. When I first started keto I tried BPC for a couple of weeks. I didn’t like drinking an oil slick so bought a dedicated blender that lasted a couple of months before it cracked from heat expansion. Yes, it was a plastic jar. I then started using a mason jar on my Proctor Silex countertop blender. I started with a well-used mason jar I’d purchased at Sally Anne, then after about a year I bought a new one, which I’m still using two years later. @peggo if a mason jar actually ‘exploded’ then it was damaged. Or it was one of those fake mason jars that are sold for decorative purposes and are only half the thickness of a real mason jar. When electric countertop blenders for home use first came out, they were threaded specifically to accept a mason jar as the mixing bowl so one could ‘blend and can’ in a single step.

Rather than BPC, since rather early on eating keto, I’ve been making what I call “Keto Coffee” each morning. This is my first meal of the day and contains both fat and protein to my current macros. I use MCT, coconut oil, clarified butter (ghee) and whipping cream to supply the fat. The MCT is there for quick initial energy, the other fats for slower and more prolonged energy. It tastes pretty much exactly like the “coffee with cream” I drank prior to keto for many years. Yes, I weigh everything to the 1/10 gram. This is coffee, after all, and if you don’t weight the ingredients you can’t reproduce the good results and avoid the mistakes. Every coffee snob will tell you that! :sunglasses:

For anyone who’s interested, and at risk of offending the MCT pure laines, you can purchase a product called “Liquid Coconut Cooking Oil” in pretty much any grocery store or super. It contains mostly C8 and C10, and sometimes a small % of C12. It costs anywhere from 1/2 - 2/3 the MCT you purchase at a health food or supplements store. So you can still get the benefits of MCT without breaking the budget. Of course, if you really want C6-C10 exclusively, you’ll have to pay the premium. But you do have the choice and there is some debate whether or not C12 in the mix makes any difference overall to MCT. So don’t pass on MCT because of the cost.

Ketogenic coffee(hot)
Whey protein (low carbs) and hot water
Question from first timer
(Full Metal KETO AF) #34

laine definition: Noun (plural laines ) 1. (Sussex) an area of arable land at the foot of a hill …???

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #35

@David_Stilley It’s a Canadianism.

(Peg Prince) #36

Thanks Paul - I looked it up on line and found it immediately. I guess I have been out of the loop for a bit!

(Peg Prince) #37

Thank you for weighing in! I had no problem losing weight and not eating until 1 or 2 pm after drinking my own version of BPC (much like yours: 1 TBSP each MTC, 35% cream, butter - frothed with a hand blender in a large mason jar). I like the idea of liquid coconut cooking oil but find it’s even more expensive than MTC oil in Canada. bummer!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #38

@peggo Michael lives in Canada too. He works at a Walmart and buys it there. I don’t see liquid coconut cooking oil generally in the stores where I live in California but it’s more common in the Southern states like Louisiana and Florida.

(Peg Prince) #39

OMG - love it…although I don’t do Starbucks unless I’m travelling and can’t brew my own! I’m a Melitta Pour over kind of girl!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #40

I buy Jaga Premiun Coconut Cooking Oil at Loblaw’s City Market. It’s $9.99 per 500ml. Whereas, here in Vancouver the various health food and supplement stores sell MCT anywhere from ~$25-$40 per liter. My first bottle of MCT was Naked Nutrition and cost me $39 at GNC.

(Peg Prince) #41

Thank you! I will keep my eyes open for it!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #42

The coconut oil sold in the northeastern U.S. is solid below 74° F / 23° C and liquid above.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #43

@PaulL Of course Paul But this is about MCTs which stay liquid at lower temperature even refrigerated. There’s been MCT oil on the market for a long time they just called it liquid coconut oil before KETO came along as a thing. It was for frying mostly. Check out LouAna on the web. It’s kind of popular with some Southern cooks. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #44

No.
Never found a good reason to mess with a perfectly good coffee.

(Peg Prince) #46

Thanks David, yes - we use coconut oil for a number of things. I haven’t tried it in my coffee but cook with it. Love the flavour in general, so I will definitely try it my coffee!