Avocados cheapest place to buy UK?

(Vincent Hall) #1

I get through a fair few avocados a week and wonder if anyone’s found a good source of them, cheap and ripe?
I tend to buy some very green for 85p each currently at local grocers, sit them on kitchen window sill and watch em like a Hawk. As soon as they are soft and nearly ripe I fridge em and know I have maybe a week before they go black.
I also buy supposidly ripe ones from supermarket but find they still have to sit out of fridge untill they get to my liking. I only like the soft ripe ones, even slightly under ripe I find the taste unpleasant.
I use them exclusively as salad, dressing mashed with mustard, ACV, and cream cheese.
Also drop half of one in my evening dark chocolate shake I make which really adds a touch of creaminess to it works really well.
So any tips on buying storing?
\v/

I hate avocados, which is a shame since it’s a keto staple.

(Vincent Hall) #3

This may sound odd but I hate avocado… On it’s own. However, used in my salad dressing or the almond chocolate milk shake I use themnin then I can’t taste avocado but do get the very nice consistency of a healthy fat.
Try it one day :wink:
\v/

That’s a good idea, if I can’t taste it then it should be fine.

I do use avocado oil in cooking since it doesn’t add any avocado flavour to my food.

(bulkbiker) #5

I’ve tried cheaper ones from Tesco, Asda etc but usually end up back at Waitrose. They do extra large ones which retail at £1.89 but you get about 200g of flesh from each one and after a couple of days out last a week in the fridge. I end up throwing away so many of the cheaper ones that it becomes a lot more expensive.

(Allie) #6

Best I’ve found are Costco. About five or six massive ones for £5.99. They’re twice the size of the ones anywhere else so using half at a time is fine, but I stopped buying them as I just wasn’t using them so it was pointless. Now I have a bag of avocado halves from Tesco in the freezer and occasionally throw one in to a smoothie.

(Candy Lind) #7

If you don’t really like them anyway, when they’re soft, add a bit of lemon or lime juice (1tsp/half?), purée them with a food processor or immersion blender, and freeze in an ice cube tray. Pop in a zipper bag when frozen. About 1 tablespoon, 14 grams per cube, perfect for shakes/smoothies, dressings and PUDDING. Look up “low-tech avocado chocolate pudding” in the food category. You won’t need the sieve. A nice treat, can’t taste the avocado, and <5 minutes to whip up, especially with frozen cubes.

(Allan L) #8

I don’t buy cheap avo’s as they can be quite horrible and I end up throwing a lot away.

60-80% of my avo’s come from M&S because they will last 2-3 times longer and I will use 100% of them.

Tesco also do quite good avo’s but there isn’t one close to me anymore.

Finally ASDA, cheapest avo’s within a reasonable distance for me but so much waste, either bruised, not 100% ripe and only occasionally I get something good.

I find UK avo’s as disappointment compared to the size and quality I have seen when living in South Africa, but they are worth the effort and price.

(Allan L) #9

Agreed. With Avo’s cheapest price is not usually most economical.

(Vincent Hall) #10

Interesting, as with many thlngs I suppose.
\v/

(Vincent Hall) #11

Yep, made some choco avocado mouse last year for a family event. Works very well.
Actually, forgot about freezing them, I freeze my double cream for the smoothies, I could bung a load in my bullet, get em liquidised and freeze them for smoothy use. Thanks for remlnder.
I’ll still need to keep fresh for salad dressing though I thlnk.
\v/

(Allie) #12

I freeze my cream too, in ice cube trays. So convenient. I also melt together a mix of cream, butter & coconut oil and freeze it for making fatty coffee more easily.

(Vincent Hall) #13

Well, yesterday I was out and went to a fairly local (8 miles away!) well respected grocers who happened to have avocados on offer at 2 for a £1. Fantastic, far better and 30% bigger than the local co op ones I’ve been buying.
I’ve frozen one (after cutting in half and removing stone) also froze the 4 co op ones I had. I think I know where to go now for quality avocados, Longs grocers Ringwood if anyone’s local to there.
\v/

We buy about ten avocado’s a week in our household and I am a self-confessed avocado squeezer!!! I only buy those that pass my squeeze test in store. We have bought from various retailers plus local market traders. Best we have found by far (local to us in Salisbury) is Aldi. They don’t always have them in stock but when they do they are far more consistent in their ripeness than anywhere else. :avocado:

(Vincent Hall) #15

Thanks for that. There’s a new Aldi I think in Ringwood as well.
I too am an Avocado squeezer, maybe we should get T shirts logo’d up Avocado squeeze KCKO.
\v/

(Liz) #16

Thanks for this…live in Bournemouth but do travel to and from Southampton so will call in at Ringwood for these bumper avocados…may see you there…hope they have enough and we all get to keto on! :joy:

(Sybella) #17

Do you always peel them before freezing?

(Vincent Hall) #18

Three for £1. 20 at Longs today, they just ripe as well. Had half of one for salad dressing and tother half in my chocolate shake. Really nice. I’ll have same again tomorrow I suspect and maybe freeze last one.
\v/

(Vincent Hall) #19

Yes, cut in half, scoop out with large metal spoon so the half stays complete. Wrap in cling film, then pop them ina plastic box in freezer. I only use the frozen ones for my shakes though.
\v/

(Sybella) #20

thx