Avocado troubles

(Liz ) #21

Guacamole is a great side for taco salad! I make it either with ground beef or crispy pork carnitas.

I am also a big consumer of wholly guacamole minis, and most days bring one to work to have with lunch. But in reading up about the company, the way they process the guacamole sounds like it is not good for the underlying nutrients. Per their website, they use “high pressure processing” with water. They claim it has positive benefits, but I am skeptical. I didn’t fully understand but it sounds like it “kills bacteria”, and gets rid of whatever normally turns it brown (and probably nutrients?).

Link to their description on their website:

Discussion of “high pressure processing” on wikipedia (also known as “pascalization”):

I still eat wholly guacamole. But last week I made my first batch of home made guacamole, which was delicious and empowering (lol) and now I have ingredients for more ripening on my counter.

(Jeanne Wagner) #23

I limit my avocado purchases to about 4 at a time. Don’t want them going bad from not eating them quick enough.

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

I use Wholly because the avocados in CO are never the right ripeness. Of course the home made stuff is better, when I have easy access to fresh avos, I will do that, but most of the year here, avos are awful. I’d rather have them use the water than chemicals anyday too. Either way avos are the BOMB.

When you are choosing your avos at the store, don’t buy them if they are too shiny. That is an indication they are not mature enough to pick, and haven’t developed a high enough oil content. And if they ripen, will be quite bland.

If an avo is too soft in the store, it’s going to be overripe.

Also, never put a firm avo into the fridge - they won’t ripen properly if later you remove them to room temp to soften.

There are many varieties of avocados. The pebbly skinned ones in stores are usually a variety of Hass (there are a few types of Hass now too). But Hass is perhaps the best avo, and it is slowly taking over to be the only one we see in the stores now.

As for freezing, I’ve had relatively good luck mashing ripe pulp with a very, very small amount of vinegar, then using that mash when making an avo salad dressing. When frozen, they should be eaten soon - they just don’t retain quality for very long when frozen. They are always better when eaten fresh.

Fresh, I like to slice them in half and eat them with a spoon.

Yum, yum.

edit: Costco sells a guacamole that didn’t have anything objectionable in it.

(Candy Lind) #26

I am lucky, I guess, because here (Austin, TX) I can load up on small avocados @2/$1 or large ones for $1.50 when in season (right now). I eat 1/2 at a time til they start to get too soft, then purĂ©e the rest with about 1t lemon or lime juice per avocado so the color doesn’t turn, then freeze in ice cube trays as someone mentioned. Right now I have so much I should be eating it with every meal!
:avocado: :avocado: :avocado: :avocado: :avocado: :avocado:

(Norma Laming) #27

Thanks for the information about shiney avocados; explains a lot

(Andi McNamara) #28

When is avocado season? I live in New England and it’s difficult to consistently get good avocados here. I spend a lot of money throwing out yucky Avos. But, I keep trying!

(Candy Lind) #29

They are coming in hot & heavy from Mexico right now (so Texas has an advantage!), even after hurricane damage. I think they may be starting in Cali & Florida, but not sure. Keep an eye on those avos and freeze them before they go bad; that’s green gold! :wink:

(Andi McNamara) #30

Green gold, :grinning:
So now is mexico’s Season? I go to Costco a lot, I’ll try again today. Not shiny. They have been really firm, can they be too firm to ripen?

(Candy Lind) #31

Correct on the “not shiny.” But they have to be firm for us truckers to get them to you without destroying them. Set them out on the counter until the stem end gets soft, then refrigerate.

(Andi McNamara) #32

Thank you! The struggle is real and I appreciate the help!

(Sophie) #33

How do you freeze them? Whole? Or do you peel them and chop it up, vac seal? I’ve never frozen them before but I’ll sure as hell make some freezer space now!

(Darlene Horsley) #34

I am appalled at the price of avocados here in Georgia. 2 for $4 on a good day. When I lived in California up until 4 years ago I paid $0.50 each! Lemons are just as bad.

I eat my avocados on the green/form side, once around with a knife and then a spoon to harvest the fruit.

(Candy Lind) #36

@shortstuff, @justme & I have all related the ways we freeze avocado in this thread. I purĂ©e - I don’t know if other methods will allow them to retain their color so I just keep pureeing with citrus juice. The stuff I froze in October is still a very pretty green.

(Allie) #37

@CandyLindTX the half avocados I freeze stay green just fine

The color in frozen avos is one thing. Texture is another. I’ve had access to many, many avos over the years, and have tried many methods of freezing to preserve the excess. The only method that has been satisfactory has been mashing with some sort of acid (citrus or vinegar). But your mileage may vary, especially if you just want the benefits of the avo oil, and aren’t as concerned with texture.

(Allie) #39

They do go soft yes, but once frozen I only use them in shakes or deserts so never been a problem.

(Candy Lind) #40

Ooh, I forgot about the chocolate pudding made with avocado! :thinking: