Avocado troubles

(Daniel Crispin) #1

Hey guys,

I feel like a noob here but I am having issues with Avocados.

First, I have never purchased an avocado in my entire life, and I am 46. But after reading about how good they are for your health and how important they are on a Keto diet, I purchased 2 bags of them. About 12 total.

I know there are 2 types of avocados, I purchased the small ones that are round and the size of a small orange, not the large ones that are the shape of a pear.

So… I battled with one to get it open for about 5 mins. then I tried to remove the meat from the skin and was unable to. I cut into it with a knife and tried to use a spoon to scoop it out but I could not get my spoon to penetrate the meat of the fruit. It was hard like rock. I ended up throwing the thing in the garbage.

So what am I doing wrong here? I leave the in the fridge, could that be the issue? If not, is it because they are not ripe? If so how do you tell when they are?

HELP!

(Allie) #2

Sounds like they’re not ripe. Never keep mine in the fridge.
If you look online there are video demonstrations of how to prep them.

(Sophie) #3

avocado

(Allie) #4

You can prep them and freeze them to avoid waste, I do this lots.

(Daniel Crispin) #5

Ok. How do you tell when they are ripe?

(Bacon for the Win) #6

it will feel a bit soft when you squeeze. But don’t squeeze too hard, if it is ripe you’ll bruise the fruit. Here’s what I do. I buy 2 or 3 at a time and put them in a small paper bag for 2 days. Check them, if ripe they go in the fridge. Sometimes they need one more day.

(Damon Chance) #7

I was about to say buying 12 is a recipe for disappointment then I read the comment about freezing them… I feel really silky for not thinking about this before.

Any tips on freezing them correctly?

(Tim W) #8

Great advice in this thread already but just to be clear, if they are hard, leave them out in a paper bag or on the counter. Once they get soft to the touch (they can be VERY soft and not overly ripe, you’ll develop the “feel” over time) put them in a closed plastic ziplock in the fridge and they’ll stay at that “just right” level for some time.

I’ve never frozen them, I’m interested in what others say about that.

When it comes to cutting them, the video is good but too much work! Just cut the damn thing longways all the way to the seed (carefully) into two halves, rotate your knife all the way around so you have two halves with the seed stuck into one half. Hold the side with the seed in your palm and use a down chopping motion to sink a knife into the seed (CAREFULLY!) then pull the knife out and the seed should come with it (especially if the avocado is good and ripe, if the seed is hard to pull out, it’s under-ripe. Now, take a spoon, a fork, your finger, your teeth and scope out each side, no need to peel the skin, that’s silly, scoop out the meat onto a plate/bowl or straight into your mouth (my preferred method).

They really are delicious and nutritious, I eat a whole one daily, but I’d never buy 12 at a time, I’ve found smaller trips to the store to pick up fresh things at a more regular interval ensures less stuff goes bad in the fridge.

Take Care and good luck!

(Mike Glasbrener) #9

The stem should be brown not green and the avocado should not be hard. It should yield to soft pressure but not be mushy. Each time you grab one of your avocados for consumption see how it feels (choose the softest of the group). Then cut it up. You’ll get a feel for it pretty quick. I usually purchase a bag of 6 from Costco and leave them to sit out until ripe. I then put them in the fridge which greatly slows the ripening process.

Once ripe it should be easy to cut the avocado in half rotating around the seed, leaving the seam around the whole fruit still held together by the seed. I then take the two halves joined by the seed and twist them in opposite directions to separate. Hold the half with the seed facing upward it the palm of your hand and hit it with the broad sharp edge of a large knife. The knife should cut 1/4” or so into the seed. Again twist the knife and fruit in opposite directions and the seed should stay attached to the knife and separate from the fruit. If it doesn’t it’s not ripe enough. Whatever you do do not use the tip of the knife to dig out the seed! You’ll stab your hand and might earn a trip to the ER.

Once separated with the seed extracted you should be able to either eat directly from the skin with a spoon (I have one most mornings directly with salt) or scoop out the whole half for chopping up. Again, if it’s hard to get a spoon through it it’s not ripe dneough.

(Andi McNamara) #10

Please share how to freeze them. Thanks!

(Allie) #11

They have to be ripe. I just cut them in half, peel & take out the pit then freeze them - best to spread them on something so they don’t touch until they’re properly frozen (I learnt the hard way!) or they’ll stick together. When I want one I just defrost it.

When they are ripe, the little brown stem nub will fall right off when you touch it, and the fruit will feel soft if you gently squeeze it. I buy them 2 or 3 at a time, that’s all I can eat before the window goes bad.

(Linda Culbreth) #13

I have bought avocados all my life. They should be reasonably soft but not mushy. Where I live here in Missouri, (USA) they are either too ripe or not ripe at all, and expensive. I have given up and go to refrigerator section of the produce and get 8 oz. containers of chunky avocados. When I get home, I empty out one ice tray.Usually, the 1 container will fill 9 cubes. I stick it in the freezer. When they are hard, I dump them into a freezer bag. Label and date them. It keeps me from eating the whole avocado at one time and from throwing away “fresh” fruit that is not.
I pull out 1 or 2 cubes for me, and let them throw on the counter if I thunk about it in time. If not, I toss them into a microwave bowl and nuke 'em for about 15-30 seconds. Eat as is, or make a dip, or add to keto mayo. Just a reminder, they are great for people, but very dangerous for dogs (not sure about cats).
Hope this helps - they are great on a slice of :bacon: and also with :bacon: crumbled up in the dip.

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

Everyone has pointed out what to do with your current group of avocados, but they get really pricy and it is very hard to hit them at the really perfect stage. The stem trick is really helpful. Also America’s Test Kitchen had a great tip if you get into an avo that isn’t quite as ripe as you think it is, put it in the microwave for @30 sec. it will become nice and creamy.

I have found Wholly Guacamole to be the answer when avos are too high priced. No waste, no bad stuff in it either. Keeps really well.

(Andi McNamara) #15

I had no idea they were bad for dogs, thanks for the warning. I have a puppy that eats everything, I will keep them away!

(Andi McNamara) #16

Thanks! I never get tired of avocados and end up throwing them out sometimes. They are so unpredictable!

(Linda Culbreth) #17

You’re welcome. Same for anything made with any kind of grapes and also any kind of chocolate. Some dogs cannot handle potatoes and onions. If you cook anything in avocado oil, do not give any of it to the dogs, either. Including plate licking.

(Ernest) #18

Most likely they weren’t ripe.
The skin should be almost black and the fruit should be soft when pressed.
Cut in half, lengthwise, twist the halves to part them. Smack the seed with a knife, and twist it.
They go bad quickly when left out.
Keep one or two out and put the rest in a ziploc bag and store in the crisper section of the refrigerator.

(Daniel Crispin) #19

Thank you all!

I have put 3 of them out on the counter in a bowl. Will eat the rippest one then put the rest in the fridge if they get ripe at the same time. I will not buy as many in the future. It was on sale so I went for 2 bags but that might not be the best way.

I purchased some guacamole as well. What do you guys eat it with? Not too sure what to do with it without nachos chips :wink:

@collaroygal another vote for Wholly guacamole minis. Amazing, the warehouse clubs have them cheap. I gave up on avocados after wasting too many. Either they are not ripe or too ripe, lost cause even buying them cheaply at Trader Joe’s

I eat anything avocado straight, no need chips. You could do vegetable sticks but I do not bother