Australian Crackling

I might be a little behind the 8 ball, but was super stoked to find pieces (ie. slabs!) of uncooked pork rind in Coles today. 30mins in a 220C oven and it comes out looking like this:

Pork rinds and cream cheese-OMG
(Adam L) #2

Nice one, I’ve seen it in Coles too but yet to try. Grab these occasionally from the Asian grocers if I feel the need for a quick fix.

(Danielle) #3

@Adam We have been searching for Pork rinds in Australia that are not cooked in Vegetable oil. I cant see the ingredient list. What type of oil are these cooked in? We still end up using the ones cooked in the vegetable oil when we need to.

When I make them, I just start with cubed pork fat/skin, and the fat renders out by itself and becomes the grease that the cracklings cook in. You don’t need to start with oil at all.

(Danielle) #5

Oh yeah i get that. I have made them from scratch as well. I was more meaning buying them in a packet pre cooked like the picture above.

Yes. I see now. You are correct. Need to start with some sort of grease if they are semi rendered.

(Adam L) #7

@Dandoesketo these are not the pork rinds you’re looking for. Corn oil is ingredient number 2 on the label. Let us know if you find a brand not cooked in veg oil, I’d be curious about the $ price too.

(Adam L) #8

When you cook them do they end up light & almost “airy/airated” like the ones you can buy or are they really hard like tooth cracking hard ? Are you able to grind the ones you make into a pork rind flour/crumb?

I had a go at making them today. They turned out bubbly and light like normal crackling, but not aerated like the ones you buy in a packet.

(Adam L) #10

I’ll buy a slab of skin/rind soon & have a go at making them, the ones I buy are ok for a convenient munch, usually Friday night or weekend if I’m feeling lazy.

For me it’s having something handy in the car for long hours driving to site. Would be great if we can track down a brand that doesn’t use vegetable oil…the homemade ones don’t last very long before going soft, even when stored in a sealed container. Best eaten immediately, ok the next day and bleh by day 3.

(Adam L) #12

Agree, non veg oil would be great but seems elusive. My asian grocer sells a hot & spicy one which are actually fairly mild & quite nice. Sometimes I put some plain ones in a ziplock bag with a little smoked paprika & shake, very nice.

Great tip with the paprika - will definitely give that a go!!

They are bubbly and light, very crunchy, and can grind to make crumbs.

If cubes are too big, fat gets trapped inside and they are soggier. If you cut them into thinner strips, less fat trapped inside and they become crispier and harder.

(Adam L) #15

Thanks for the tip Fiorella.