August 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #142

the two nights before I fast, when I wake up to turn over, I tell myself I am a fasting pro. I think that is helping.

(Susan) #143

I get this too, I wonder why!

I love this, this is great.

(Failed) #144

Iā€™ve noticed that as well-itā€™s kinda fun.

(Tamela Robinette) #145

I wish that I benefited from deeper sleep and vivid dreams during fasts. This darn REM sleep anomaly has dogged me for years and fasting makes it worse. Iā€™ve tried every OTC, homeopathic and prescription known to man, no dice. My brain wakes up over 140 times a night and I rarely go into 4th stage, deep sleep. If I do itā€™s usually for under 45 minutes for the entire night. I wake up feeling like I was run over by a truck. That is why I limit my coffee to 2 cups very early in the a.m. and certainly no caffeine after 9 or 9:30 a.m
Anywho, I have fell off the keto wagon lately, off and on, due to stress of a job change and well, honestly, boredom with my food choices. I know, I know, Iā€™m working on it. I donā€™t enjoy cooking at all but do occasionally make a new keto recipe. Iā€™ve gained 9 pounds (that I know of because I refuse to get on the scales after all the garbage I ate over the weekend.) So here I am about to hit hour 24 of an unknown length fast. Just read through the entire thread and you guys rock! I get so motivated reading your achievements. Happy fasting all!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #146

Technicolor dreams. And smells, one-night carb food. II woke up laughing to myself

(Kristin) #147

What they say about sleep is so right, I did not sleep well last night (hot dogs? Too much dairy?) so fasting today was rough. I ended up breaking with bone broth and steak and will see how tomorrow goes. I am happy to report that 3 of the 10lbs Iā€™ve been fighting for a couple years seem to have stayed off with my recent fasts! Good work everyone, no matter what our fasts look like they are healing our bodies.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #148

32+ hours fasted. Sleep was pretty good. Not as vivid as usual. Getting ready for some lite upper body training in 30 minutes.

(Bob M) #149

Well, true to form, I got up at about 4:?? am to go to the bathroomā€¦and never went back to sleep. Got to the gym early, though, 5:20 am or so. A bit tired now, but usually OK though the day, but come about 9pm tonight, Iā€™ll be out. 32+ hours fasting now.

Lately, Iā€™ve been wearing blue blocker glasses after sundown. The last time I did this, I remember getting worse sleep instead of better. So, that might be an issue, too. Unfortunately, I havenā€™t worn them long enough in a row to make any decision.

I will eat when I get hungry.

As for dreams, Iā€™m not sure I had any, but I donā€™t remember mine anyway. Or very rarely, do I remember them.

(Not a cow) #150

Just received an email from IDM regarding a tea product endorsed by Dr Fung. I was surprised to see this ad, since it sounds like Dr Fung is in on it, but Iā€™m not sure if he is. Sounds very impressive, so I bought some to try, as I could use an evening drink besides water and coffee during my fasts, at least one that tastes good.

Made it through last night, now going on 60 hours, hopefully to break tomorrow afternoon.

(Jane) #151

14 hours in so of course not even time for me to eat yet so like sleep - ā€œfree hoursā€ LOL.

Sipping my black salted coffee (boo - I miss my cream) but I need a strict fast this time. Too many carbs last week (mostly my own garden veggies but still too many) and I feel a bit bloated and sluggish. Iā€™ll be back in Chicago next week but with a co-worker so wonā€™t fast. Then 2 weeks back in Ft Worth so will fast again for 72 hours each week. Three weeks out of 4 ainā€™t too bad! This will be my last chance for 3-day fasts before I go on my cruise vacation in mid-September.

I like the 3-day fasts because they are short enough not to stress my body, I usually get reall goco GKI numbers by Day 3 and the autophagy is helping with my excess skin and I really enjoy Day 3! I have gotten past the hunger waves so Day 3 is enjoyable. I love the empty feeling, not slugged down by digesting food and although rare - have experienced the ā€œfasterā€™s highā€ on Day 3. I wish I knew why sometimes I get it and not others, but when I do it is amazing.

(Bob M) #152

I thought that stuff was a bit expensive, so I just use green tea. To be honest, I have no idea whether green tea is good or not. It just provides something in addition to water I can drink.

(Not a cow) #153

You are right Bob, they are expensive.

I have a variety of matcha teas, and I donā€™t like any of them. I thought I could use them more often than I have, but while fasting I have been trying to keep my tea and coffee black, and I just canā€™t drink matcha tea black at all. Hopefully these teas will taste better than what i haveā€¦

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #154

Okay, Iā€™m at 40+ hrs. A little hunger but just spent almost 3 hours getting my handicap permit renewed. DMV is so slow. But almost everyone was smiling. Even so, saw some customers high fiving the tellers, whose job has to be hard, for getting done the whatever transaction.

Time to down some salt and them a fresh cup of coffee.

Fasting people have a great day.

(Mame) #155

Ok, well that was some shortsighted planning on my part yesterday. LOL Houseguests and conferences and what allā€¦

Anyway, looks like I can get a 24+ hour one in today. My brain keeps drifting towards hunger but I have no body hungerā€¦ but I am sleepy. Being a bit short on sleep seems to lead to pretend hunger for me. anyone else?

I love that feeling too. I am trying to realistically look at my week and get a 2+ day fast in so I can have that feeling.

Fast forward all!

(Tamela Robinette) #156

Well I made it a little over 40 hours. Just had lunch. not sure if Iā€™ll have dinner tonight but probably and then will attempt another unknown length of time. Hope everyone is doing well with their fasts or feasting today.

(Bob M) #157

I agree with you about matcha: I find it to be not drinkable. Even green leaf tea can be tough.

Let me know if you like them, as Dr. Fung has some evidence that they work for helping weight loss. If they do work, then they might not be bad, for the 4 times (if Iā€™m lucky) a year I do a 4.5 day fast, which is really when I need something. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Jane) #158

20 hours in and made it past lunch without having to leave, munched on some salt crystals and now hunger fading. The only times I have to consciously ignore hunger are at my normal mealtimes at mid-day and evening. Once I get past those I am good.

Only going to test my blood tomorrow evening and before I break my fast Thursday evening to save on the cost of the strips. I enjoy collecting the data when I am fasting but Iā€™ve got enough now that there is no need to test several times a day. Actually, no need to test at all but I do anyway. :grin:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #159

Broke my fast at 46 hrs. So 1 day early. But glad. Some stressors both positive and but one very stressful for one daughter that popped up today with family. All is great now.

Going to do this again next week.

(Failed) #160

Iā€™m on hour 28 of an unintended fast, After eating so much fat for breakfast and lunch yesterday, Iā€™m simply not hungry. Yay keto!

I have been drinking a bit of pickle juiceā€”does that still count as a fast?

(Susan) #161

@Robinette71

Congrats on the 40 hours!

@Janie

Congrats on the 20 hours so far.

@daddyoh

Congrats on the 46 hours, Eric! Always good to do what your body dictates, have a lovely time with your family.

@DeeCS

That is great, Dee. Pickle Juice is fine when fasting =) Lots of people do that!