August 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #242

Yea, fun family plans are the best things ever!! Have a great time and I look forward to seeing you later!

This is so great!! If you have body fat to burn, you shouldnā€™t notice much drop in energy at all with the fasting, and it sounds like youā€™re one of the lucky folks who really feels great while fasting.

Right now Iā€™m in a great stretch of fasting, amazing workouts and experimenting with OMAD but I canā€™t figure out the formula for getting into this state at will. There are times when I really want to get here but itā€™s like I canā€™t quite find the path. I can go months like that, feeling like Iā€™m kind of bumbling along, planning to fast, then eating anyway - and then almost out of nowhere Iā€™ll get really excited to jump back on and itā€™s great.
Itā€™s tempting to think that itā€™s some deeper wisdom at work (like ā€œthis means that I donā€™t have the reserves to fast right nowā€) but honestly it doesnā€™t seem like that to me. Iā€™ve wondered if itā€™s fear of change or lack of clear purpose, but ā€¦ idk. Good luck in figuring it out! Can you tell us when you do?

(Katie) #245

Haha, yeah, Iā€™ve probably got another 30 pounds to go before Iā€™m at a healthier weight. Thanks for the response!

(Katie) #246

So, Iā€™ve just come up on my first blunder in the adf routine. I didnā€™t meal prep for the week, meaning tomorrow I have to have a lunch available, which i usually take leftovers from the night before. However, as Iā€™m fasting tonight there wonā€™t be anything to bring, and tuna is getting a little boring. So now Iā€™m standing here making a dish while my tummy is talking to me. Oh well, itll be that much tastier tomorrow right? Hope everyone had a great meal less monday!

(Mame) #247

closing in on 30 hours and fasting was a success although there was certainly struggle today. The food on offer looked horrible though and that helped!

Numbers this evening: bg=70, bk=3.6, gki=1.11

Will break for dinner with a friend tomorrow night at about 48 hours.

Me too. It was a good day!

(Carol) #248

I like this. Next up, triumphant Tuesday?

Meal less Monday is completed for me. Iā€™ll be reading if not posting for the next 10 days as I just picked up my third round of antibiotics. sigh But this thread does keep me motivated so there is that. :slight_smile:

(Mame) #249

Absolutely that sounds great.

I am at 43 hours heading triumphantly to 48. LOL lifted this morning, have fasting crutch ready, feeling light and happy digestion-wise. Love it

Numbers this morning bg=64, bk=3.2 gki=1.11

(Katie) #250

Wow! Great job! I know I typically feel much more drained on day 2, at least in the am. Good for you to get your lifting routine in!

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #251

Hello Fasters!
Iā€™m on Fasting Day 3 of my ADF experiment. All is well. Things are CRAZY at work; school starts tomorrow. So glad to not have to think about when to eat and when to fast. Fasting has been easy, Iā€™ve felt hungry at 9 and 3, my normal eating times, but then it passes.

My go-to lunch is spinach (or other leafy green) with whatever on top I find in the fridge: sliced left over meat, sliced hard boiled egg, cheese, olives, avocado, or nothing but olive oil and vinegar. Doesnā€™t take much meal prep. I keep the oil and vinegar at work.

Hi everyone! I was planning to fast 48 hours but have decided to extend it to 72 (ending tomorrow at lunch). Iā€™ve been feeling great and have been exercising as usual but just tonight am starting to drag a bit. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the fasting or the broken sleep (that I get when I fast). Am happy to be fasting, though! I havenā€™t really given it much thought these days - feels pretty easy.

(Katie) #253

Youā€™re right! That is a quick and easy plan. I guess Iā€™m just worried about not getting the calories I would need to be getting in this pattern of eating with a salad. However, if there were enough toppings it could add up. Thanks for the suggestion! Hope your day calms down a bit! Sounds like youā€™ve got a lot going on!

(Max) #254

Hello all you experienced and dedicated fasters !

I have been reading every month (2019) of the IF/EF chat thread since the beginning of the week and decided to try my first EF.
I have been clean keto since beginning of June 2019 and have lost about 37 lbs. My start weight was 225 lbs and as a 6ā€™ 4" guy it wasnā€™t hugely noticeable but I had gone from a 34 inch waist to a 38 inch waist in about a year. I felt bloated and out of breath. I stumbled upon keto after doing a sugar detox.

I live in Japan (originally from the UK) and shuttle between Tokyo and Seoul for work, both Japan and Korea are not bad for following a keto WOE, but I do find that in Korea you really need to watch for hidden carbs in basic supermarket food (seems they love adding sugar to their equivalent of HWC!). Good job I enjoy cooking from scratch

I measure my BG and BKs daily using ketomojo, this morning my readings were as follows (after 36 hr fasting):
BG 85 mg/dL (4.7 mmol/L) - normal range, I am normally between 84 and 89
BK 4.7 mmol/L - was 3.1 at start of fasting and having just eaten
GKI 1.0

I am only drinking black coffee and water with some ultima electrolyte powder plus some AVC and salt thrown in . My aim is for 48 hours but I may go to 60 or so as I donā€™t want to start re-feeding at 8pm tonight.

Thanks to everyone for all the inspiration, this is a great community !

(Mame) #255

Well I wrapped up my fast at 50 hours and had a very mediocre dinner at a mongolian grill but stayed on plan and avoided all sugary sauces I am reminding myself that not every meal needs to be stellar. I got fuel and spent lovely time with my friend. and I am planning duck legs for tomorrowā€™s dinner.

My numbers before dinner: bg=75 bk=3.5 gki =1.19
3 hours pp from that meal: bg=90 so it looks like i navigated the menu well. good nsv.

Not sure if tomorrow will be omad or 2mad. Still another day of training with icky supplied ā€˜food-stuffsā€™. :nauseated_face:

I hope everyone had a terrific, triumphant Tuesday!

(KCKO, KCFO) #256

So we are headed to Winning Wednesday now!

KCFO

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #257

Happy Winning Wednesday Fasters!

Iā€™m going to break at about 42 hours today. I felt really good yesterday, got hungry at 9 and 3, my normal eating times, and a bit in the evening but it was manageable.

Thatā€™s sage advice. Sometimes I overthink it, when really I just need to eat some food and move on with my day.

Welcome!! I get that youā€™ve been here a while, but itā€™s nice to hear from you!! Congrats on your awesome start to keto & fasting!!

(Mame) #258

Yes. This is something I am actively working on. Fueling not entertainment. My brain got cranky due to lack of taste wanted more but tummy was very full.

I am also trying to let go of my identity as a foodie. It doesnā€™t always serve me so I am working on identity expansion

Numbers this morning bg=76, bk=3, gki=1.4

Wishing all a wonderful winning Wednesday

(KCKO, KCFO) #259

This is so me. Food is entertainment, creative expression, comfort, expressed love, etc. I am finally after 3 yrs. of this WOE expanding my identity beyond ā€œFoodieā€. I proudly wore that label!

I have taken up genealogy in a big way now, getting to learn about cousins I never knew about etc. It really helps when fasting to go down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out how you are connected to someone you never heard of until they pop up on a DNA match list as a close relative.

Iā€™m back to plain IFing for a week. I do like to mix it up.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #260

I still like to cook and eat. But I do cook in bulk simple food now (ground beef for example) and find that the simple food satisfies me more and more every day.

Focus on things other than food is a journey.

(Susan) #261

I am on hour 26 of a 48 hour fast. I have tried to fast a few times lately, but it seems as soon as my sleeping pills kick in i binge eat. Hopefully this post will keep me accountable.