August 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Not a cow) #202

I have been trying ADF for the last month, but I can’t seem to do it more than one day each week for a 42 hour fast. I fast on the first day, I eat OMAD the next day, and instead of fasting the following day, I end up eating OMAD. Last week I did a 3 day fast instead, but next week starting Sunday I will try for an ADF week again. I really like the thought of only having to eat every other day! Good Luck, let us know how you do.

(Bob M) #203

Hmm…My last fast of 4.5 days, I got my ketones up to a whopping 1.9. I’ve never seen north of about 4, and that only years ago. Now, I’m lucky if I get above 1.0. I’ve often wondered why some people can get super high ketones and others can’t (I usually eat higher protein, so that might have an effect while eating, but this was fasting for multiple days).

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #204

Interesting. I’ve never tried ADF before, it’s never been interesting to me because it’s so regular and I like to make things up as I go. Recently I’ve noticed that some folks on Jason Fung’s IDM forum seem to have great success with it so I thought I’d give it a solid few weeks and see what happens.

Starting now, I’ll keep you all posted!! KCFO!

I’ve really struggled trying to do ADF, as well. When I was in a good fasting rhythm, I would fast for two days and eat for two. But I could never really get in a groove of fasting well when I’d only eaten for one day. On my eating days, I really feasted and I think that makes a big difference. Depending on how much you’re eating with your OMAD that could be part of why you’re struggling. I needed to be eating over maintenance levels and I think it can be hard to do that on OMAD.

I’ve been trying to do some ADF again, but not really having any luck. I end up needing to eat around dinner every time.

(Failed) #206

Looks like I’m in the process of another fast, I didn’t get around to eating today. On hour 22 now. My intent is to do at least 36 to 42 hours for the autophagy.

I made some viili with heavy whipping cream yesterday, so lunch tomorrow will inlude that mixed with a few frozen raspberries & sweetener, along with bacon & a couple of pork ribs and possibly some zoodles with Kerrygold butter.

@Momof5 how’s that for fat and protein :kissing_heart:

(Susan) #207

Great, Dee. You are working hard, I am impressed.

(Failed) #208

Aw, you are so sweet!

(Not a cow) #209

Thanks @ZuleikaD, I’ll try to keep those cals up on eat days.

I wondered about only eating one day between fasts, but I think that’s how they suggest to do it on IDM. Eat Fast Eat Fast …, just like that. I’m not eating quite up to maintenance levels on the day after fasting, but pretty close about 2000 kcal. When not trying to do ADF I do OMAD regularly through the week, and eat TMAD from Friday to Sunday. I am anxious to try it again this week, after completing my first 3 day fast this week, I think it’s mostly in my mind that I feel the need to eat on the second ADF because I wasn’t really that hungry. The weekend fasting is another story, but it’s in the plan, so I will try it.

(Jane) #210

Dunno! I didn’t test when I started but I’m quite sure I started at zero ketones the first day. But those are typical numbers for me by Day 3.

No idea why I make so many ketones. I still turn pee sticks purple and really dark purple by Day 3 of fasting after 18 months on keto.

Just my weird body. I don’t lose weight any faster than most here so no correlation of weight loss to ketone bodies.

(Mame) #211

oh my :star_struck:

(Jane) #212

:smiley:

I am a cancer survivor (11 years!!!). A lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation hell. My chances of recurrence is much greater having had cancer so I fast for healing and a future without cancer.

Fortunately my fat stores are still sufficient to allow me to fast for 3 days at a time. But not so great I scowl when I see myself in the mirror :laughing:

(Wendy) #213

I just finished my first over 100 hours fast! 115 his. So super proud. I had done 90 before. I felt really great most of the time. I wasn’t really hungry until last night but I knew I could push through. I felt great, was super busy, and walked several miles in the Texas heat most days. I even did a 3 mile walk this am. My tips would be salt, a little magnesium and citracal D3 petite. I just added the citracal this fast because I saw Brenda Zorn @Brenda recommended it recently to someone who was complaining about leg cramps. In the over one year I have been doing keto I have had so many awful leg cramps that disturb my sleep. I added fasting in January and the cramps intensified during longer fast despite adequate salt and magnesium. With the newly added citracal, I HAD NO LEG CRAMPS!!! I wanted to share that bit in case someone else could benefit. Have a happy Friday and a great weekend!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #214

Starting my fast.

Time (hr) BG BK GKI
T0 83 0.9 5.1
T1 89 0.8 6.2
T2 89 2.0 2.5

(Carol) #215

@daddyoh he is a new doctor to me, this was my second visit. On the first visit I tried to feel him out about different diet plans and he is seriously SAD all the way. He’s been a doctor for 30 years and apparently very set in his beliefs. The other doctor in town that I used to see is a major pill pusher so my choices are limited at the moment. If I continue to see him and have good results, I will share what I have been doing - successfully. :smile:

I hope everyone has a nice weekend and successful fasting!

(Failed) #216

I’ll be ending my 42 hour fast today around midday. I’ve lost 3 lbs this time (some of which I’ll gain back when I eat, of course), but I’m still thrilled, especially thrilled with my morning BG of 101.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #217

36 hours and I will break around 10 am today and then eat again at 4. Yesterday was my first day in a while to fast, so I felt hungry most of the day but it was pretty manageable. I had a crazy day at work so I was pretty distracted, then just completely exhausted when I got home.

I feel so motivated right now I just know that I’m headed for several weeks of success and weight loss!!!

Thank you for this reminder. I will try to go big my first few eating days so I set myself up for success.

Congrats on 11 years of extended life and I really believe in keto & fasting for cancer defense. Have you read Keto for Cancer? I am not a cancer survivor but I read it and I found it fascinating.

I’ve always done at least 2 days of feasting (2 meals on both days) regardless of the length of the Fast. So basically I just make sure to get in at least 4 meals between Fast. … And I also believe that this is the same regimen recommended by the folks at IDM as well. @Brenda would have to confirm…

I use those as well. And indeed, anytime I do get leg cramping, it’s pretty much an indicator that I’ve been slacking off and not staying on top of the electrolytes, or taking the Citracal. But works when I do.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #219

I’m fighting cancer now, and in theory I have fat stores (on my thighs - no extra visceral fat). I do 48hr fasts twice a month or so.

Yeah, that’s why I keep trying it. It’s definitely just me. Not sure why.

They’re recommending a lot of ADF these days, so that’s two meals in between. But that’s for only fasting one day, so it seems reasonable. I’ve also heard the two days between fasts, but for longer fasts, I think.

I had a big feast day yesterday and am raring to go for another fast today and hopefully tomorrow.

(KCKO, KCFO) #221

Janie thanks for sharing that. I hope the theory of keto not feeding cancer cells holds true for you. My sister and my best friend (2x, finally had breast removed) are both survivors, unfortunately, neither follows lchf/keto. I did persuade my sister to do intermittent fasting regularly. She has also had colon cancer but bread and pasta are just too dear to her. Her head is thicker than a brick, I have tried to educate her but the rest is up to her.