August 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1

New Thread to start off August. Can we get an admin to lock the July Thread.

3rd day into fat fast and keto levels low
(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

34 hours in. Dawn affect this morning grrrr.

BG 95 mg/dl
BHB 0.9 mmol/dl
GKI 5.8
Boz 106

I expect this to get better before I break this fast. I have one more ketone strip. Darn I wish they weren’t so expensive.

Sleep was short and vivid dreams. Cold last night even though I had sweat pants and long sleeves on. So I know the ketones were following.

I’m hoping to push through to the late afternoon today. Next week I hope to get in a 70+hr fast.

My scale weight has stalled but my belly has some new loose folds so I think recomposition has occurred.

Fast on all.

July 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)
(Susan) #3

Awesome start to the new month, Eric, congrats =) and best wishes hitting the 70+ hours.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

Thanks Susan. I’ve been reading your posts across the board. Good luck on your journey. Everyone’s journey is different and patience is required for some of us.

(Susan) #5

My biggest stress and worry atm is my hubby’s health and upcoming brain surgery, combined with his Parkinson’s getting noticeable worse. Thank you =). I am hoping to start a new Fast Sunday about 5:30pm =).

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

Is he keto? I hear that some people with Parkinson’s respond to keto. I had a fear that I was getting it a few years ago and researched it. Turns out I have essential tremors as do my 2 daughters and wife. ET is very common and not usually something to worry about.

(traci simpson) #7

Saturday I managed to get to 28 hours! I felt a little shakey the last two hours but I probably should have added more salt during the day.

Done… :+1:

I’m also hoping August slows back down a little for me. July seemed to be packed with just a bunch of stuff that didn’t work well for Fasting. But it’s a new month, we’ll see how it works out. :slight_smile:

@Momof5 … Sorry to hear about your Husband’s issues too. Hoping things get better for you as well.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #9

Dave

Same for me. I have some commitments coming up that will push one of my fasts out a day. Will also have some fun things that might prevent fasting but IF is always on the plan.

Oh yeah, most definitely when not Fasting. I just think the month of July was a little wacky for me, with work, feeling under the weather, etc. I’ve also actually been trying to make sure to put in 1 or 2 TMAD’s during non-fasting weeks now as well, since I’m trying not to do the OMAD on a constant basis as I have been. (Though it’s what I usually enjoy most) But to be honest, most of those second meals do feel more forced to me, but I’m trying though. … Here’s hoping this month will be better. :+1:

(Shane) #11

Today, I went to the Dr for my latest test results and they were pretty much as expected.
Fasting BG was high though at 6.1. It was 4.9 at home an hour earlier???
Hb A1c was 5.3. OK I guess. My partner’s was over 9 at her last check.

Cholesterol :-1:
tot 9.0 HDL 1.7 LDL 6.7 Non HDL 7.3 Tri 1.3
Last Dec
tot 5.2 HDL 1.1 LDL 3.4 Non HDL 4.1 Tri 1.6

Total and LDL were up just a tad :slight_smile:
Importantly.
HDL jumped from 1.1 to 1.7 and
triglycerides dropped from 1.6 to 1.3
The test was done a few days after a 4 day fast with only one day’s notice. I explained to the Dr that this could be the reason for the high LDL and he was very understanding. All in all he was happy with my progress and told me to keep on doing what I’m doing even though he put in my file that I was keto (I’m sure I only told him I was low carb). He wasn’t particularly happy about me stopping the 2 statins I was taking, but he didn’t push me to go back on them. He just noted in my file that he recommended I stay on them and we’ll check again in Feb when he gets back from wherever he’s going until then. And he’d like to see me lose another 5kg. I want to lose another 10-15kg anyway.

The reason we both changed to a different Dr was because my partner , who is now keto as of a couple of days ago, had an SVT event a couple of weeks ago (her HR peaked at around 240) and the doctor at the hospital told her to see her Dr (and also get ambulance cover) the next day and get a heap of tests done, including her BG which was very high then. The only Dr she could get to see was 3 days later a couple of towns away. I was impressed with how he treated her so I changed over too, after giving up on my old Dr. I’m glad I did.

Yep we are both doing keto now. And without telling me or me asking, she cleaned a heap of sugary foods out of the pantry and gave them to one of the kids. I’m almost proud of her. She isn’t ready for fasting or raiding my bone broth yet and my chicken hearts and liver are safe, but she is getting into my other stuff. Not sure I really needed to blur out those tasty morsels.

Here’s a week of BG tests with the fast in the middle. It took a couple of days to clear the glucose stores.
I never had a single ketone reading the whole time on my pee sticks. Turns out I had a bad batch. Got fresh ones yesterday and I’ve had good readings since.
The last test was the 4.9 and hour before the 6.1 they got. I still can’t figure that out after the week leading up to it was so good. I also thought that my HbA1c could have been lower, but now that I have an HbA1c, I have something to improve on, so lots of below 4.0 fasting days leading up to the next test, but for the next few days it’s back to IF.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #12

My wake up BG can be 95 mg/dl when fasting. It was today. My BG comes down post exercise and in the afternoon if not serious stresses.

Some people report BG going up with fasting at time. I think it depends on how insulin resistant you are. It took a long time for my morning BG to drop (fasted or not) from 120 to <100, even though my A1c is 5.3 and have been 5.2 to 5.4 with low carb and then with strict keto. My body want to make BG.

Your Tri / HDL ratio is great. Less than 1.

(Shane) #13

I was happy with that ratio too, but the Dr only looks at HDL to LDL. He was happy about the HDL going up though.

(Stephen Readman) #14

Currently on day 4 of a fast, never been past 5 days before but feel pretty good so I will probably see how long I can go.

Even did a bit of exercise tonight, indoor climbing, and managed some climbs I haven’t been able to do before.

Have been tracking my blood sugar, which has been steadily declining, as to be expected. Also jumped on the scales and have lost 6lbs, can imagine that I’ll put back on weight when I eat again, but happy so far!

(Susan) #15

@daddyoh

No, Eric, he is fine with me doing it, thinks of it as another of my crazy diets I think, but hopefully when I am actually looking better at some point he will get it. (I have only lost 43 and have 130 to go so you cannot really see any difference yet)… He refused to try. His Parkinson’s is getting worse all the time, the surgery is for his Hydrocephalus (had surgery in December and it didn’t do anything, that was third ventriloscopy, now he is having shunt surgery, on waiting list atm). (Way more details on my Accountability thread, don’t want to blow up this thread with it all).

@Diygurl19

That is awesome, Traci =).

@Digital_Dave

Thank you and good luck for August being less stressful for you and getting more fasting in =).

I am glad that you and Virginia are feeling better now.

@kingfisher

Great results, Shane, and that is awesome that your partner is also doing Keto with you; good luck to her too, very nice!

@stereadman

Keep up the good work, Stephen, 4 days is great, good luck getting to the 5 if you can manage it. You are doing great!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #16

I made it to 43.5 hours. Some bone broth and a few olives. Will wait an hour or more before other refeeding.

#'s not great

• BG 75 mg/dl
  • BHB 1.1 mmol/dl
  • GKI 3.79
  • Boz 68

I tend to have much better numbers on day 3 but since this is day 2… But this is what it is. I’m sure the fast helped me!

(Susan) #17

I am sure that it still did, Eric =). You still did great at 43.5 hours. Doing what we can, when we can, all helps and adds up, and works towards the benefits of autophagy =).

(Jane) #18

Broke today before lunch at a little over 60 hours.

BG: 87
BK: 3.1
GKI: 1.6
Boz: 28

Slept terrible last night - took forever to go to sleep and woke up several times. Hopefully tonight will be better as I have a 7-hr drive home tomorrow.

(Susan) #19

Congrats on doing the 60 hours, Janie. I take some Melatonin when I cannot sleep and need to.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #20

I’m looking to do a 48hr fast, starting after supper on the 9th.
I’ve been frustrated with my numbers (glucose seems OK), but I wish I could keep it more stable (smaller rises). If/when I get a CGM maybe I’ll be able to get a better idea of what different foods do for me. In the meantime I think I’ll use MCT Oil to try to keep ketones up (I have no idea why they have been so low lately…unless its due to doing TMAD).