AUGUST 2018 Weight Maintenance Check-In Thread

(KCKO, KCFO) #21

I no longer track them, but I am eating so similar to what I was losing on, I know I don’t go over 50 grams. From veggies so there is fiber in there, so net is well under 50g. I rarely go this high tho’. This would be a day with some crackers and cheese and wine. I usually fast the day after having those.

I think my sweet spot is around 30 grams. I do eat a lot of keto friendly salads with protein. Those meals are rarely high in carbs.

(Susannah ) #22

Thank you for this. I’m entering the maintenance phase as well but I’m afraid of gaining weight back. I’m happy where I am (except I need to exercise more) and I am trying to be less strict on myself. For example, I will eat a few tomatoes and onions on my salad. I have gained 3 pounds back and it is making me nervous. In maintenance, am I still supposed to be in ketosis? I’m not clear on the rules here… I don’t want to screw up too much. Thanks!

I’m at the point where I’m losing very slowly, maybe a pound or two a month. I’m about 5-10 pounds over my goal of 120ish, since I’m also over 60(closer to 70!) and happy enough to have size 8s fitting comfortably. Because it’s summer, I’ve had corn on the cob a few times, and custard twice, both times in a dish without the cone, and leaving about half of it. I’ve also had a few tomatoes out of my own backyard, because they’re delicious!

I’ve gone on quite a few “vacations”, including one with my son and DIL. My DIL is death on red meat and butter after my 45 year old son had a double bypass last year. He had a completely blocked “widowmaker” despite being no more than 20 pounds overweight, following an on and off Paleo diet and exercising pretty regularly. Out of respect for her views(she does love my son, after all!), I tried to stay keto without being obnoxious. Did the same when I went to Disney with them in March.

Outside of the above mentioned few planned carb intakes, I haven’t really changed my diet at all. I’ll be happy to keep losing a very small amount of weight each month or maintaining.

(Maha) #24

I know what you mean about gaining weight back. I was also terrified, but decided that if my body wants to live at 15 lbs heavier than my goal, then so be it. There’s no such thing as a healthy weight, so I’m trying to let go of that concept. Things that other people do, that I’m also starting to do, is if I eat a little higher carbs one day, then I IF and/or go lower on carbs the next couple of days. Keep in mind that eating some carbs will cause water retention, so it may not be fat you’re seeing on the scale, but water weight.

As for staying in ketosis in maintenance, I think that’s up to you. It’s not a ‘supposed to’, but if it works for you and you’re comfortable there, then do that. I view this as a lifelong way of eating. Realistically, I won’t stay in ketosis for the rest of my life. I accept it and know that I will cycle in and out, because I do want to eat keto desserts on occasion, my homemade pie once a year, and have fruit once a week, and eat nuts. I also don’t want to be food-obsessed and agonize over everything I put in my mouth. I find it easier to stick to general rules and protocols then to worry if I eat a tomato, will I gain weight.

I also need to exercise more, and that will probably help. I do like walking, and try to do a few minutes each evening, and 3 or so miles on the weekend. I need to incorporate strength training, but I’m totally procrastinating. I just have to do it a few times to get into a routine and then it’ll become easier. The first step really is the hardest.

Good luck to you, and congrats on reaching maintenance! Remember, make this work for you so you do stick to it for the rest of your life and be in good health!

(Maha) #25

When I cook, most things are naturally low carb. It’s usually the side dishes (potatoes, rice, noodles, bread) that are the killers. Most of the time I just cook meals without out those sides and the family either doesn’t notice or doesn’t complain because the foods are so good with added fat, salt and other seasonings. I just started excluding carbs and didn’t make a big deal about it. After a year in, they obviously know, and will ask for a side, like roasted potatoes, which I’ll do for them and I don’t eat that part. Some of my favorite things to cook that satisfy all of us are crock pot pot roast, roast chicken, and baked salmon. I also use a sous vide and will do a roast in there, which is tasty and easy clean up. My husband cooks one night a week, and I usually don’t eat dinner on that night, so he’s free to make a carby meal, but now he’s on board with the concept of low carb being healthy, and cooks almost the same way I do. I also do a taco or burrito bar where I lay out all the things, including beans and tortillas, so they can have those if they want, but I just make a taco salad. Same with salads, omelets (yes, for dinner!) and pretty much anything else that can be a ‘assemble your own’ dinner.

There’s a couple of meals we all eat where I can just add the potatoes for them, but I’m mainly vegetarian & hubby isn’t, so that makes it more complicated! I have started eating some fish as it fits in well for the keto & with hubby, that makes it easier. My eldest son has had a vegan spell, so found a few dishes he likes which fits in with keto for me, but often I end up doing 4 different meals- both my lads work long hours & late in the evenings at times, so cook for them when they’re home, too late for me & hubby to eat! Good job I enjoy cooking…

(KCKO, KCFO) #27

New month already. Continue the convo here: