SEPT. 2018 Weight Maintenance Check-In Thread

conversationstarters

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

Wow, the year is speeding by now.

How is the Maintenance Crew faring? Anyone finding some new strategies/videos/podcasts for staying on plan? New found results? New recipes that work well?

AUGUST 2018 Weight Maintenance Check-In Thread
(Pete A) #2

I’m boring, nothing much to say except today’s my one year Keto-versary! SEPT 1, 2017 I was 217, today still 143, since April.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

Your first ketoversay is not a boring topic at all. Congrats, let the fireworks begin.

fireworks

(Empress of the Unexpected) #4

I’m at maintenance. Two weeks away from five months. I’m just planning to keep eating the way I have been. Have carbs occasionally for social occasions. I have found it only takes me a day or two to get back into ketosis if I stray.

August was a ketovore experimental month - 5 days ZC/carnivore then 2 days allowing lowish carbs (halo, nuts, etc.) just to see if maintenance would be easier to … maintain! And it was! Out of the 3 or 4 months of maintenance, August proved to be the easiest month for me to maintain. The ZC/carnovore days were quite pleasant, and I may have even lost a few inches while maintaining my weight.

I knew I had a long Labor Day weekend of travel and emotional events coming up, so I did not commit 100% carnivore during August. But I definitely liked how it felt and it piqued my interest enough that now that the events and travel are behind me I am going to try 30 days carnivore to see if there is any more magic (like even fewer cravings, etc.). Worst case scenario I go back to my 5/2 and am happily ever after!

I definitely use many of the resources from this thread - Half Size Me podcasts, tips from some of the books, etc. and remain forever grateful that this time does not have to be like previous attempts at maintenance after weight loss. I also like the updates from others, so thank you collaroygal for continuing the monthly maintenance threads!

Hello maintainers! :grinning:

Unfortunately- I have to keep it real this month.:smirk:

My 4 months of “lazy keto” and lax exercising resulted in an increase in my A1c from 5.3 to 5.7; even though I did not have an increase in weight.

So I’ve tightened up my keto diet (mostly cut back on protien and a bit on overall caloric intake) and hope to resume working out soon.

I was a bit discouraged bc it was nice being “lazy”; but the funny thing is that within a few days of getting back to stricter- I noticed much better blood sugars and I was generally feeling better.

So I’m on a maintenance path this way until I retest in mid-december.

Also wanted to let you know that I did the “Feldman Protocol” looking at the short term impact of diet on lipid panel results. I posted my results on that thread if anyone is interested.

Good luck all and have a great month! :grinning:

(Julie ) #7

Hello new to this topic group. I have been doing Keto for a little over 9 months and been basically in maintenance for 3 or so months. 53 yr old female, 5’31/2" tall small frame and currently weight still move some but usually stays about 138-139 range. Still need to get a cross that bridge so hormones still do affect. Like to workout a good bit yoga, free weights and half marathons walking.

Hope all are having a good day.

I am going to basically consider myself at maintenance as long as I am below 160…I’d love to get to 150 or even below, but I’m not going to push hard to get there. Mid 150s is an ok weight for me. I was 159.5 this morning after a carb bender last weekend, so I am just barely in maintenance by that rule. Anyway, my approach the last few weeks has been to have 3 meals per day only (no snacking in between), and then I also added calorie counting, which I had a hard time adhering to before, but the 3 meals a day seems to have given me the structure I need to stick to my food plan. My initial goal was to make it 30 days on the 3-meal plan, but I don’t see a reason not to do that forever. If I can get to a point where I can have a small snack and not have it turn into a binge, that would be great, but until then, I need to really watch myself.

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Glad to see some newbies posting in here. To me maintenance is harder than taking off lbs. We need to be supportive of each other as much as the losers are to each other.

Got about 3lbs to shift still since we had another short holiday & I didn’t manage to stick to keto! I’ve done 2x48hr fasts this week, & similar last week, but I think once I eat after the fasts I’m eating a bit too much & it’s undoing the good I’ve done!! Life is now rather hectic as we got a little puppy a week ago- she’s pretty much taken over, like having a baby again! When life gets like that for me it’s always been an excuse to eat, snacking on bad stuff rather than planning proper meals, but I’ve been stricter with keto so that’s good! & running about after her stops me thinking about food!
So I agree with you @collaroygal, maintenance is hard, & not something I’ve ever managed before! Doesn’t help that hubby is not particularly supportive of keto & fasting- usually he’s one for exploring different theories & going against mainstream views, but for some reason not with keto…
Have tried a couple of excellent recipes recently- a lovely flourless cheese souffle, & keto chocolate fondant/ lava cake which was epic!

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

Sorry hubby isn’t on board. But those recipes sound awesome.

If you are doing 48 hr. fasts, try another protocol, like doing a few one meal a day or even just IF 20/4. Megan Ramos advises mixing things up.