AUGUST 2018 Weight Maintenance Check-In Thread

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

Summer if flying by.

How are all the Maintenance Crew doing? Those ripe summer fruits are everywhere. Hope they aren’t playing havoc with anyone’s maintenance.

I have just completed two years of keto/lchf WOE. I can’t believe how much I still love the foods and the results. My only regret is I didn’t start doing this back in the 90s when I first saw Dr. Atkin’s New Revolution book. Guess it was not my “time of readiness.”

I just did a week of ADF after doing the July Zornfest. I kept off half of what I lost during Zornfest. I am back to IFing this week, only had breakfast this AM, Sun-Tues was IFing. So far I am holding the line.

July was okay… not great but not bad either! I did lower my maintenance range - I figured why let myself feel less than good, and that seems to be doing well. I did not have any travel, vacation, etc. during July so that made it rather easy to stick to routines of IF 18/6 etc.

For August I am working on toning and posture a bit - I’ve never been one to do a lot of exercising! I have pretty severe scoliosis and kyphosis (halted somewhat by bracing while I was in my teens) so I have to start paying attention because I know that it may start impacting me more as I head into my 60s and beyond.

I started integrating movement a few days before the end of July (because putting off starting anything/everything until the 1st of the month, or the next Monday, is an old bad habit that I am trying to break!). Just a few sets of kettlebell swings and trying to remember to do 5 squats every time I walk into the bathroom!

My next travel doesn’t come until the end of August, so I hope to keep some momentum on routine good habits for several weeks. Looking ahead to September, right now I am thinking of trying 100% carnivore for 30 days starting as soon as I return from my short travel. Will spend some of the end of August getting ready for that (although I am about 95% carnivore now).

Once again, thank you for keeping this thread going! Maintenance is a definite challenge, but I have learned so much from everyone else on these monthly threads and the resource thread!

(Lonnie Hedley) #3

@Brenda when did you start doing a monthly festival? :joy::rofl:

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

:blush::blush: OPPS, should be Zornfast, but I wouldn’t put it beyond Brenda to do a festival.

(Pete A) #5

I’m going on a year, holding at 143ish. That’s a great number, not looking for less. Exercising regularly and looking to build some muscle and tone the rest of my belly skin (not too much). Will afford a couple of pounds of muscle.

Continued ease with Keto foods, 70 fat 25 protein 5 carb, overall sense of well being. In it for the long haul as I’ve only been lifting for 6 months, so giving myself through the winter on body recomposiition.

Thanks for regularly putting this thread up @collaroygal I hardly log in here much since I reached this weight (and had extracted enough knowledge haha), so it does me good to to check in.

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

Congrats, let us know when you hit the one year ketoversary. I have found eating this way pretty easy. And I used to be a “fasting will killlllll yooooouuuu” type person but no more. If it did I would be dead several times over.

What exercises, type of meals, and eating protocols are you doing to maintain? Hum, we might need a whole thread for that discussion.

I switch around fasting protocols when I get to my original goal weight, I aim to stay 3 lbs. under it. If I go lower all the better, but I do not want to go to it or above it.

I do resistance/strength training exercise, along with big doses of dancing, which I don’t even consider exercise, it is just fun. I also walk with my T2D DH after most of his meals, I average around 9-10K daily most days. My meals tend to have good protein like steaks, pork chops, bacon of course, because I can :), dark meat chicken. A veggie, zuchinni, brussel sprouts, and all sorts of leafy greens mostly, with the occasional cauliflower dish showing up a few times a month. I do lots of zoodle dishes with both red and alfredo sauces. I make my own sugar free chocolates with 100% cocao powder and coconut oil, keeps the carbs down more than commercial sugar free ones. Liquid stevia and Swerve are the only sweeteners I use now a days. I make keto breads when I want a sandwich experience. I make my own mayo and salad dressings. I don’t use veggie oils, I do use olive and avacado, both are fruits :slight_smile: and I use tiny amounts of cold pressed sesame oil for Asian dishes.

(Maha) #7

I guess I can finally join the maintenance crew. I stalled starting 3-4 months ago, then gained up to 8 lbs back, but I didn’t feel like my appearance or waist suffered much (I gained an inch back in my waist). I passed my first ketoversary July 29, and have decided to ditch the scale and only go by waist measurements and the fit of my clothes. I can’t reach my ideal weight, but I think I look good, my health is excellent and my body is finally getting back on track with IF and eating when hungry again. I’ve finally been able to do 17-20 hour fasts again like I could prior to 3-4 months ago and boy does it feel great! I may continue to lose, but I’m not going to stress over it like I was before - I plan to live another 50 years, so I’m ready to just enjoy not worrying about my weight anymore.

I’m allowing myself to eat a little fruit on the weekends, some nuts at work and cheese about once a week. It’s all variable, and if I feel like I’ve eaten a lot in a short period of time, I’ll stop those carby things for awhile. That’s the protocol I’m going to follow. I made a keto dessert this weekend and was really surprised I didn’t want more than the serving size (in my previous life that serving size would have been ridiculously inadequate), and it was amazingly good.

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

The maintenance threads are a good place for anyone within 15 lbs. or so of goal. The challenges are many and you need a headstart if you can get one. :rofl:

I like your attitude about using things besides the scale to measure your success. And living this way for 50 yrs. Wish I had found keto/lchf WOE about 30 yrs. ago.

Maintaining is definitely challenging for me at the moment! We had a holiday for 5 days, back home for an evening then away for another 3 days- we went self catering so could mainly stick to keto, but I did slip with a few holiday treats- fish & chips on the beach is a must on a UK seaside holiday! Have definitely eaten way less than I would normally do on holiday though… but scales are showing 3lbs up, so I did a 46hr fast, ate last night & then back to fasting again today. Life a little stressful with 2 teenage boys at the moment, they’re hard workers, but both have some big life decisions to make at the moment… We have 10 days now before we’re away for a couple of days again, I need to be really strict for that time. & I need to get back to planning my food better- at the moment I have lots of cheese, salad & seed crackers because it’s easy…
@collaroygal- you sound so disciplined & congrats on the 2 year anniversary!

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

jules4, thanks but I struggle a lot too. I am just determined to not continue my pattern of losing weight only to regain + more. After over 35 yrs of that, I am just relieved I have found a WOE that has enjoyable foods that I love at the heart of the plan :avocado::hot_pepper::broccoli::bacon::cut_of_meat::egg::green_salad::cucumber: it is the only reason I have been successful. And educating myself about fasting, autophagy, and electolytes helped too. Anyone could do this. I learned I can have a few more than 20g of carbs and still be in a range I want to be in. I still can have some wine each week, just not daily anymore, and I am fine with that.

At my age I really don’t want to be at the bottom of the normal range for my height. It is better for the over 60 crowd to not be there. So no need to look like a teenager again. I am happy to walk into a store and buy things sized 6 and under.

Yes, love the foods on keto, & mostly I enjoy the routine of fasting, so I hope that the combination helps me maintain, nearly 30 years of yo-yoing too! Once the next few weeks are passed then life will settle & I can be in more of a routine!

The 2 fasts have helped me lose 2.5lbs this week, I’m chuffed with that, probably having an upset stomach from eating no high carb stuff didn’t hurt either!!

Checking in with fellow maintenance crew. :grinning:

I’m holding at 161; and continuing to be “relaxed” about meals and checking bloods. I even forgot to weigh in a couple days.

My wife started Keto and is liking it- and is now cooking more keto-friendly meals for our family. A major plus! :grinning:

Keep it up- wish you all the best!!

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

Life is so much easier if you partner is onboard.

Congats on holding the line.

I’m envious of you both doing keto, got hubby to watch the magic pill documentary & hoped he might give it a go, apart from one recipe for a quiche with almond flour pastry which he liked, he isn’t up for it, so meals are quite difficult in our house, which is why I’m relying on cheese, salad & crackers a lot for myself!
Well done holding & forgetting to weigh!

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

I am using a new ketoaide recipe, it is on youtube.com with Dr. Kenneth Berry. I use sparkling water not the mineral water and it is very refreshing on these hot days. I am not using the nu salt, I have bulk potassium citirate and magnesium citirate that I use instead.

Just interested how many grams of carbs others on maintenance have? If you still count… I know we’re all different, but I seem to be okay one day if I go over the 20g, but definitely feel different if it’s a bit over a few days in a row, even if only 5grams over! I don’t do the monitoring stuff so can only go by how I feel. Unless it’s just because I still fast at least a couple of days a week, & it’s me missing fasting…

(Pete A) #18

I stay at around 20 gross, maybe a few more or less. 2x in my life I lost weight with Atkins, and when I started adding carbs back in wound up back to overdoing it.

I don’t plan on changing that up for the foreseeable future. 1. it works 2. I don’t crave them 3. it’s easy!

Hi Jules-

I’m Keto just over a year, maintenance for about 8 months. Was prediabetic. Started Atkins style for 2 months but noticed better results and feeling better on Keto- less than 20gms carbs per day. I went through a period when i wouldnt even eat vegetables bc they had carbs in them. Now that my prediabetes has corrected and i have confidence in the diet I’ve relaxed some and don’t worry about carbs from veggies. The way i eat though they still prob come out less than 20gm/day. Non veggie carbs for me are otherwise incidental- i feel like they would be contrary to my goals- so i don’t even think about it- and it really has gotten easier- i do hope it lasts.
Interestingly- my wife on the other hand can probably eat a good 75gm of carbs and stay in ketosis- and she can eat the bad stuff like a roll or small peice of cake- so there is got to be variability with the individual and also with respect to your goals.
I don’t know much about fasting- so I’m not sure what to think about how that plays into how you’re feeling.
Sorry to be long-winded; but i like to hear other people’s experiences. So that’s mine. :wink:

It is weird how everyone is different! I don’t crave the sweet stuff like I used to, but it’s nice to have something occasionally! I do try to get the majority of carbs from veggies, but as I’m vegetarian I have nuts regularly too & the carbs can stack up a bit!