Atkins diet may cause heart failure, major new protein study finds

(Troy) #1

Wanted to share :flushed:
I’m just the messenger that’s all…Be nice…to me :cry:

(Ron) #2

:roll_eyes: Many studies are referenced but not one link to those studies. High proteins are listed as cause of risk but no amount or percentage guide is given. And the address to plant protein being safe screams vegan article origins. :unamused:

More discussions on this here -

(Chris) #3

No sources listed, that article isn’t worth the pixels it’s printed on.

(bulkbiker) #4

I linked to the original study paper in the other thread about this

and guess what… it doesn’t say what the newspaper article says at all… no shit Sherlock…and there are so many confounders it makes it all irrelevant…

(Brian) #5

If all of the negative hype was true, a forum like this would have participants dropping like flies. It just doesn’t. People here are tending to get healthier with their markers improving, weight generally going down, becoming more active rather than less, living better because of keto.

I don’t know how many people are active on these forums but it has to be in the hundreds. Who knows, there may be thousands. (Anybody know? It would be interesting as the size of the group here is probably larger than some formal studies.)

(Troy Anthony) #6

Also, Atkins and keto although similar in carb restriction, are not the same. Atkins does not limit protein at all or emphasize fat like keto. Atkins seems to me to be more a carb restriction fat loss diet where keto is about creating a healthy lifestyle long term. You could lose weight on Atkins eating complete garbage. Granted people could also eat garbage and be in ketosis, but I find it commonly preached in the keto community to prioritize food quality and sources, and in my POV is a major factor of the WOE

Excess protein can cause T2D and heart disease because it created an insulin response as it’s turned to glucose and burned for energy like carbs.

Is the editor of the Telegraph a vegan? I swear they have an article a month which is anti-Atkins, anti-Keto, anti-meat, anti-bacon, etc. Has anyone else noticed this?

(bulkbiker) #8

Maybe the Barclay brothers can only get veggies on their island tax dodging hideaway…

(Bunny) #9

Hmmm? No studies cited? Just glittering generalities?

My friends from the planet Vegan tell me that veganism is the most popular contemporary way of eating and its popularity is growing. It seems they have the same cognitive dissonance as we ketonians. Or what(ever) is our collective tribal noun?

So it seems in popular news culture the Telegraph may be applying their poor, tabloid, populist reporting to appease the affirmation addiction of the vegan hordes?

i agree we can’t blame the researchers for more than finding a lot of inconclusive stuff that generated their vague conclusion in the journal paper.

(Jenn Monaghan) #11

Here’s the study http://circheartfailure.ahajournals.org/content/11/6/e004531

(Adam Kirby) #12

Let me make sure I understand this study… it was based on an initial 4 day food log?

(Brian) #13

Good grief. 4 days. And they expect us to take them seriously? 4 months, I’d be mildly interested, 4 years, I’d be very interested.

(Erik) #14

Epidemiological study. What a surprise…