Latest sham news report

(Vladaar Malane) #1

Atkins diet may cause heart failure, major new protein study finds

BBC are running with something similar by stating high protein makes your hair fall out and makes you ill. Not so. Lack of B vits did that to me, and then overdosing on B vits made me worse lol

(bulkbiker) #3

If anyone is interested in the methodology and what it actually says http://circheartfailure.ahajournals.org/content/11/6/e004531

I took away this bit with my bolding
In middle-aged men, higher protein intake was marginally associated with increased risk of HF.

(Kevin Takahashi) #4

Compare that headline with this one, and it’s no wonder that the general population who rely on conventional news sources are confused as f***.

(edited to correct typo)

(Alec) #5

This is why I stopped watching, listening, and reading the “news” 20 years ago. It is clear the “news” has one objective: to gain viewers or readers, and as such simply does not report objectively, anywhere or at any time. It is 99% of the time biased and incorrect shite not worth the time.

I avoid it like the plague if I possibly can.
Cheers
Alec

i am 56 and stopped reading or watching news when i was 18 so good to know others are in my club

(Empress of the Unexpected) #7

And why is keto featured as a high protein diet to begin with???

(Omar) #8

am really confused

even keto will have significant amount of protein

If we do not drink liquid butter most of what we eat has lots of protein

(Chris) #9

By weight, sure. But by calories fat is generally still higher unless there’s a specific purpose. And you’re talking to someone who generally eats a lot of protein, probably more than most on this forum.

Tellingly, I don’t see a single word in the article about what the participants’ carbohydrate intake was. Also just looked at the abstract that @MarkGossage so kindly linked, and it doesn’t mention any other macros either. I wonder if they even controlled for that.

(karen) #11

Sigh. I realize that it’s not feasible to tightly control people’s diet over a long period of time, so these studies are always about what people report eating, which can be inaccurate or completely out of line with what they’re ‘supposed’ to be eating as part of a segment, but I don’t see how any meaningful conclusions can ever be drawn this way. “Plant protein”. Was that naturally occurring leguminous protein, 90% potatoes, or 90% mangled and unnatural soy isolates? “Animal protein”. Was that dairy? Was it pastured protein? Was it red meat or fish? - and yes, definitely, was it considered as a percentage of the diet or simply by raw grams? I really don’t know why they bother, other than to sell “news”.

Atkins diet may cause heart failure, major new protein study finds
(bulkbiker) #12

Probably not but there are a huge amount of other confounders there too. I have to apologise for UK newspapers propensity for coming us with crap articles with appalling headlines… sometime it makes me feel ashamed to be a brit…

Oh, no particular shame there. The New York Times, which is excellent in so many other ways, has a long and glorious history (all the way back to Ancel Keys) of publishing “news” in their health section that amounts to nothing but hype over some random correlation or other. They’ll quote the researcher making all kinds of unsubstantiated claims about what their research proves, and not challenge it at all. Clearly, investigative journalism doesn’t really factor into their health reporting.

I agree that the experiment design is questionable. The food journals mentioned were done over 4 days to establish baseline eating before starting the trial in the late 1980s. The baseline measurements were gathered for about 4 years it seems? Then they followed up at about 4 year intervals until concluding the study about 22 years later using the data to specifically look at hard end points of heart failure. There seems to be an underlying factor that middle age Finnish men don’t change their way of eating (much) over a period of two decades? I find that bit fascinating in itself. Gee we humans are creatures of habit.

The hazard ratios just squeak in to viable significant probability calculations. The researchers actually note some results they wanted to highlight, that are not statistically significant, to bolster the claim of ‘a trend’ of an association between higher dietary protein and heart failure. They work really hard to fill their square hypothesis hole with the star shaped data peg.

Some good stuff in the meat of this study.

The highest probability associated risk of heart failure in a Finnish middle aged man from an animal protein source was from fermented dairy.

Reconciling this to the headline in the media report it bears no, clear, direct relationship to the Atkins diet. #fakenews

That fermented dairy statistic baffled the researchers as fermented dairy also associated with healthier lifestyle in the group of men. In particular that the higher risk of heart failure men were eating ‘low fat’ fermented dairy.

The headline would be more accurate if it said: Low Fat Sour Milk Kills Middle Aged Men

No association in this study with heart failure with eating protein from: non-fermented dairy, red meat, poultry, eggs or fish.

(Bacon for the Win) #16

same. there is nothing to be gained from watching mainstream news. All propaganda of one form or another. Everyone is selling something or fear-mongering. People calling themselves journalists need to write/broadcast about something I guess. They do it without my participation.

Now if 2dudes, Robb Wolf, Phinney/Volek, Fung/Ramos et al have anything to say I’m all over it!

(Omar) #17

should not be ashamed

media is a function and environment not nationality or religion

(GINA ) #18

I got the idea a couple of years ago that I should watch the local news. I am sort-of new to the area and thought it might be informational. It was the first local news broadcast I have watched in probably 15 years.

It was awful! The “news” wasn’t news, and not only that, they spent 30 seconds or so on the story then said, " Let’s see what the Facebook reaction is" then spent twice as long as the story itself putting reprinted comments on the screen.

That doesn’t have anything to do with this story, but I look at all mainstream “news” outlets pretty much the same.

It appalls me that this profession has an entire amendment to the Constitution because of their value to a free society and this is what they do with it.

(Omar) #19

fermented dairy

isn’t this what makes the bulk of what is called the Mediterranean diet together with the olives oil.