Asafoetida - a low carb replacement for onions and garlic in some recipes

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1

Asafoetida or Hing

Asafoetida is a resin from a plant that’s used in India mostly as a replacement for onions and garlic in cooking curries and other cooked foods. Onions and garlic are prevalent in Indian cooking but many people abstain for spiritual health reasons (bloating and gas aren’t conducive to meditation!).

It’s not usable to replace raw onion or garlic. It’s available in two forms, a gum and a powder. The gum form is stuck like chewing gum under a restaurant table :crazy_face:, to the lid of the cooking pot and the flavor gets into the food from steam falling back in the pot. The powder form is usually mixed with a little wheat flour to carry the resin and spread it directly into the food. I know, wheat flour, the horror :smiling_imp:. But the amount you use is very small. Also warning that like fermented fish, or shrimp preparations that are commonly used in Asian cooking they stink to high hell when you smell them by themselves right out of the package. But added to food in small quantities gives a delicious deep flavor. And the smell mellows greatly and the flavors come out when heat is applied.

I have had an unopened bottle of the powder for a couple of years, I bought Indian spices at a past Asian market excursion. I had a jar of the resin back in the 80’s. Here’s the nutritional label.

1/2 teaspoon/2 grams will substitute for 1/3 cup of chopped onion and 1 clove of garlic. I’m cooking an Indian entree today, “Keema” or Lamb mince curry. I will update this with pics later and an opinion about using Asafoetida as a low carb onion garlic substitute. It is easily available and inexpensive, absolutely available through Amazon and very inexpensive compared to real onions and garlic with their heavier carb count. :man_cook:t3:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

I am going to experiment with Asafoetida outside Indian cuisine, with all the numerous spices and complex flavor in this dish I couldn’t single it out. However the taste was balanced and well rounded if slightly less sweet because of the lack of caramelized onion and garlic. :man_cook:t3:

HI, I saw it in some Indian recipes but so far I didn’t find it . Where can we buy it? thanks

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Amazon. Look for the gum, not powder which has a starchy carb to suspend it like rice flour. I haven’t used it much though and am doing Carnivore now so won’t most likely. :cowboy_hat_face: