Article in The Guardian: Yes, Bacon Really is Killing Us

food

(Jeanne Wagner) #1

I have been subscribed to The Guardian for a while now just so I could listen to a specific podcast they did that a friend of mine suggested. Geez i can’t even remember what that was now. I haven’t listened to anything since and never unsubscribed, but this came up the other day and I started listening to it. Then stopped. It’s a 37 minute listen, not sure how long to read. This link is to the article to read.

I have a feeling, since it talked about epidemiological studies, that it’s bunk. Also, they talk about bacon sammiches in the UK, and somehow I don’t think the bread was even a blip on their radar. Read at your own risk, blood pressure may rise. (Although I think the story is concentrating on the use of carcinogenic nitrates to cure the bacon. I eat lots of bacon… :open_mouth:)

(Paul) #2

I believe spinach and other green leafy veggies have more nitrates in them.

(Todd Allen) #3

It’s not the quantity of nitrites and nitrates that are the problem but that they chemically react with the haem, amides and amines within the meat to form toxic nitrosamine and related compounds. This process is facilitated by long storage and high temperature cooking.

But solutions are easy. Buy fresh uncured pork belly, store it frozen and use it in moist or low temperature cooking processes such as crock pot stews.

I would imagine that takes all the fun out of it! Most people who eat bacon like it crispy

(Todd Allen) #5

And the fears of the risks of crispy bacon are over blown. Especially compared to the risks of sugar. But for those who are risk averse one can address the potential risks without giving up pork or going vegan.

But what we find fun is largely a learned/habit thing. I’ve switched to doing a lot more sous vide, stews and soups, etc. and am enjoying my food as much as ever.

My fear with sous vide is the plastic. Sigh. I have not done sous vide but I do have a crockpot that I use every once in a while. Since I work from home I do not find it that big an advantage. Maybe I need better recipes

(Todd Allen) #7

I’ve been using reusable silicone bags for sous vide which are supposed to be a safer alternative to plastic bags.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GKMC4F

(Jeanne Wagner) #8

lol I must be weird. I’ve never liked crispy bacon. I like it pliable and soft, just a tiny hint of crispy.

(Allie) #9

@EyesWideOpen me too, you’re not alone! :blush:

(Bunny) #10

(bulkbiker) #11

Go with your gut… its bunk! And I say that as an avid Guardian reader. Just regurgitating the bad science WHO study which stlil hasn’t been fully published after 3 years!

Pork belly…oh yes, now that is all the “science” I needed to hear!

(Mark Rhodes) #13

Here is the print version, which I read I think last week.

Basically the author does point to how a meat (any processed meat) is processed secretly. Just today I was reading on IDM site about red meats being linked to obesity when really they lumped out the processed and the unprocessed meats it was all the processed meats that could be found in the association.

(Bunny) #14

Dr. Deborah’s MD blog

I like bacon, but….

”…One of the problems with the standard American diet is that we have switched dramatically in recent decades from a traditional balance of omega-6 and omega-3 fats. Paleolithic diets and modern hunter-gatherers boast a 6/3 ratio of as low as 1/1, as high as 3-5/1, the entire range excellent and in fact deemed optimal by international agreement. By comparison, the conventional American diet, with a bit of fast food thrown in, ranges fro 15 to 30/1, WAY too much omega 6’s. …”

”…Now, bringing all this home: I recently did some nutritional testing and found out that despite eating excellent sources of omega-3 fats, my omega-3 index was not up to par. Looking through the lists of foods and their 6/3 ratios, the two problems I identified are perhaps too much pork and nut proteins, and not enough omega 3’s. …” .…More

Why the Omega-3/Omega-6 Ratio May Not Matter After All By Mark Sisson

Here’s how it’s supposed to work:

Linoleic acid converts to arachidonic acid (AA), a precursor for inflammatory cytokines.

Alpha linolenic acid (ALA; plant omega-3) converts to the anti-inflammatory precursors EPA and DHA, the omega-3 fatty acids we usually associate with fish oil.

Both of these conversions occur along the same rate-limited enzymatic pathway, which means they “compete” for a spot.

If we eat too much linoleic acid, the story goes, our tissue levels of AA will spike and predispose us to excessive inflammation and all the disease fallout that entails. Actually, increasing dietary linoleic acid doesn’t really increase the tissue level of arachidonic acid. Instead, since both linoleic acid and ALA use the same conversion pathway, an excess of linoleic acid does inhibit the conversion of ALA into EPA and DHA, leading to potential deficiencies in the latter nutrients and promoting an inflammatory environment – if you don’t eat preformed EPA and DHA in the form of seafood, pastured animal products, and/or supplements to make up for it.

That’s right: people for whom a fish dinner means battered and fried tilapia sticks are at risk of an inflammatory omega-3/omega-6 ratio, but people following a Primal way of eating are probably safe. Just eating some salmon, sardines, mussels, and pastured eggs can undo a lot of the damage caused when linoleic acid hogs the conversion pathway. Linoleic acid, however, is not directly increasing tissue omega-6 levels.

It appears as if the problem with low ratios of omega-3 to omega-6 is the lack of omega-3, not so much the omega-6. In studies that replace saturated fats with omega-6 fats, the only ones that show benefit are those that also include omega-3s with the omega-6s, while those that replace SFA with just omega-6 increase the risk of death. As long as you’re eating enough fish and other seafood, pastured animals and their fat (and eggs), and/or high quality fish oil supplements, whole food sources of omega-6 shouldn’t increase inflammation. The ratio is a helpful way to monitor your omega-3 and omega-6 intake, but it’s not a physiological law.

That’s not our only issue with linoleic acid, though. Where do we get our omega-6 fats?

No, not you reading this. Not the guy who asks that his eggs be cooked in butter or olive oil at the diner. Not the lady who shudders at the sight of one of those three gallon Costco jugs of corn oil. Where do most people living in industrialized nations get their omega-6s? You know, “normal” people.

Americans get almost 70% of their PUFA (mostly omega-6) from oils, shortening, and margarine and just 6% from beans, seeds, and nuts, 1% from eggs, and 13% from meat, poultry, and fish as of 2004 (PDF). So when we talk about omega-6 intake, we’re really talking about french fries (cooked in vegetable oil), packaged pastries (made with shortening), and processed, high-sugar, high-(vegetable)fat junk food intake.

If most of our omega-6 is coming from the linoleic acid found in cooking oils and processed baked goods, most of the omega-6 we’re eating is highly oxidized, rancid, and maybe even worse. …More

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #15

Uhm… lard is:
38-43% sat fat
47-50% MUSA
6-10% PUSA - Linoleic.

If it’s the bacon that’s messing your 3:6 ratio… I dunno what to tell you.

It’s the vegetable oils. Really, Dr. Deborah, without posting sample menus, is doing a driveby on pigs and poultry.

And really, just take a supplement. get 3g of EPA/DHA a day, avoid vegetable oils, and get on with your best life.

(Bunny) #16

Good point! :+1:

That is exactly the problem. We don’t know what they’re doing to the meat. Now if you buy a whole pig, have it butchered per your instructions, and cure your own meat, that’s a different story…

I like bacon, but I’m not going to lie to myself. Unprocessed meats are healthier than processed meats. Still, the dose makes the poison. Eating a couple of slices of bacon once a week is different than eating it everyday.

(Rob) #18

Here is the discussion of the same article from 2 weeks ago with more debunking