Nitrates in Bacon?

(Barry Sharp) #1

I wonder if anyone saw this article

Specifically this paragraph : "something different happens when nitrates are used in meat processing. When nitrates interact with certain components in red meat (haem iron, amines and amides), they form N-nitroso compounds, which cause cancer. The best known of these compounds is nitrosamine. This, as Guillaume Coudray explained to me in an email, is known to be “carcinogenic even at a very low dose”. Any time someone eats bacon, ham or other processed meat, their gut receives a dose of nitrosamines, which damage the cells in the lining of the bowel, and can lead to cancer.

Bacon and cancer
Article in The Guardian: Yes, Bacon Really is Killing Us
(bulkbiker) #2

Check out the Dr Georgia Edes debunk of the IARC study.

(Barry Sharp) #4

Thanks for the link which I watched. She admits at 5mins in that she is not addressing processed meat. I am not concerned with fresh meat but do take think the Guardian article is worth considering iro processed meat specifically processes that result in N-nitroso compounds.

(Ethan) #5

The keto community really disparages processed foods. Many say to avoid it at all costs. Then they are fine with bacon…be consistent.

(Alan Williamson) #6

Nitrates in lettuce and spinach are off the chart. Oh, dear!!!

http://www.foodsafety.gov.mo/e/sense/detail.aspx?id=efd55ce0-dffd-4cb9-99ee-217177d9c70e

(Barry Sharp) #7

The concern is not with nitrates, which the article admits are present in plants, but in N-nitroso compounds.

(matt ) #8

All food is processed. The whole argument makes no sense when the only qualification is “processed”.

(bulkbiker) #9

I also find it odd that the full report still hasn’t been published three years after the summary was.

(Adam Kirby) #10

What is the absolute risk increase caused by consuming this compound?

(Desiree) #11

We just buy nitrate-free bacon, sausage, etc. Still tastes delicious!

(Ethan) #12

Yes, but you know what I mean. A lot of keto people eat whole foods. Many don’t eat deli meat or packaged products, but still eat bacon.

(Karen) #13

If it says uncured is it then nitrate free?

K

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #14

Worth checking the whole label, as “uncured” is not a regulated term, but yes. Nitrate and nitrite are the things added to cure bacon and ham (and they fix the pink color).

(matt ) #15

There is no such thing as uncured bacon, its just a marketing thing. Uncured bacon is pork belly. By definition bacon is cured.

(matt ) #16

True…I eat deli meats and bacon…i got no time for worries :slight_smile:

(matt ) #17

“Those health concerns about carcinogens in bacon are part of the reason uncured bacon has seen a jump in popularity—because uncured bacon is made without added or artificial nitrates and nitrites. But contrary to popular belief, uncured bacon is not nitrate-free because, as Abel explained, “You’re using sea salt or celery powder to achieve those naturally-occurring nitrates.” After about a week of curing, those nitrates will show up in your bacon whether you’ve added them artificially or not, least of all because celery salt is a naturally occurring nitrate.”

(Ethan) #18

That’s consistent. I’ve got a few pet peeves…that’s one :slight_smile:
I personally neither avoid nor seek packaged products. I try as much as possible for natural whole foods; however, when convenience is important (e.g., traveling, at an event with all carbs, or no time to cook), I eat something packaged.

(Karen) #19

So proponents of natural sea salt are getting nitrates? What about the pink Himalayan? Nitrates?

K

(matt ) #20

Trying to find deli ham without sugar is a PITA. Ham off the bone has 3 grams per Oz I think. Still easy to overdo.

(matt ) #21

https://www.meatinstitute.org/index.php?ht=a/GetDocumentAction/i/44170