Artichoke saw?

(Todd Chester) #1

Hi All,

I cut the tops of my artichokes so I can pour salt, garlic powder and olive oil down then become pressure cooking them.

Is there a saw or some such that makes it easier to cut the tops off?

Many thanks,
-T

(Bob M) #2

Are you cutting them sideways? Or slicing down the middle parallel to the long part?

(Todd Chester) #3

Slicing the top of the flower, opposite of the stem. That way I can pry open the leaves a bit to add salt, garlic powder , and olive oil

(Central Florida Bob ) #4

Have you looked at serrated kitchen knives? I think they’re also sold as bread knives.

I’ve never tried it, but it seems like the same thing.

(KM) #5

I have an ancient Ginsu knife (of the famed tin can and tomato slicing commercials). They might have done too good a job for their own good, the darn thing is still slicing through more or less anything I present it with after 40 years, I’m sure it would do fine with artichoke tips.

(Bob M) #6

That’s what I was thinking, too. We call ours a “bread” knife, and maybe we even bought it that way? We’ve had it a while. We rarely have bread, other than at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I still use the knife quite a bit. It’s even good for tomatoes, and I used to use it for meat, until I got a “brisket” knife. Bread knife:

Brisket knife:

(Central Florida Bob ) #7

I like the brisket knife! When I saw the question about a saw, I just thought of a serrated blade as being more or less like a saw blade. I did a search on the big smiley box place for “serrated kitchen knife” but none had teeth like good old rip saw.

Then there are the Japanese Dozuki saws.

I have another version of these with teeth that aren’t as prominent. I’d try it, but I haven’t had an artichoke in a couple of years.

(Laurie) #8

I used to use scissors to cut the tips of the leaves. It takes a little longer, but you’re opening up the artichoke as you do it.

(Bob M) #9

I took a class in making shelves, and the carpenter recommended a Japanese hand saw. I bought one, and that thing is great.

I bought a much cheaper brisket knife, something like this:

It works well for meat (without bones).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Any normal, well-sharpened knife should successfully cut off the base of an artichoke. Obviously, a paring knife might have problems, but any utility knife ought to do fine. To me, a bread knife or brisket knife would be overkill.